What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP? - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
  • Louise2001
    Louise2001 Posts: 24 Connected
    edited August 2019
    I have spastic monoplegia CP. 

I recently completed the forms for PIP (high rate mobility, low rate care). I was not fazed by the questions but struggled to decide how much information I should provide. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Louise2001 and welcome to the community!

I can relate to that, it's hard to know about the level of information that is provided. As long as you have showcased your ability and level of independence then that should be fine :)

Is there anything else the community can do to help?
    Scope

• Louise2001
    Louise2001 Posts: 24 Connected
    Hi @Louise2001 and welcome to the community!

I can relate to that, it's hard to know about the level of information that is provided. As long as you have showcased your ability and level of independence then that should be fine :)

Is there anything else the community can do to help?
    Not right now. If I think of anything I will mention it here. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    I have spastic monoplegia CP. 

I recently completed the forms for PIP (high rate mobility, low rate care). I was not fazed by the questions but struggled to decide how much information I should provide. 
    Hi,

When filling out the PIP forms, you should provide as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Relevant evidence should be sent to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this. If you're transferring from DLA then you can ask for your DLA file to be used as evidence.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. It's rare to have a paper based assessment. Waiting times depend on backlog in your area but there's no timescales. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I have had a paper assessment ... then 2 x assessment centre gone past the point were i usually get reassessed which is usually April May     .....
    Is there an issue with assessments my current award expires next April ...
    I do believe that the PIP reviews are now taking place 6 months before your award is due to end, rather than 12 months before.

If you were awarded by a Tribunal then you'll be contacted 14 weeks before your award is due to end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    No problem. It's because of the backlogs i think. My review is supposed to be due in October this year too and i'm also wondering when i'll be contacted. Lots of people have said it's now 6 months but i've yet to find any confirmation regarding this.
  • JulieTuesday
    I think maybe I got a home visit because I had an asthma attack when going to one of my hospital visits, I got very anxious and it came in the best place ever to have one! although not pleasant. I mentioned this on my pip application.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    The first time I had to sit down and complete the forms I almost sobbed. Too many of my responses to the questions were blatantly negative and depressing. To cut a really complicated story short, I learned weeks later we were awarded low rate care and high rate mobility based on my responses to the questions. The whole thing is depressing. Don’t know why I cannot just email them a video of his movement instead. Some of the questions don’t apply to us personally. 
  • greatsay
    greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I had a positive experience with my DLA to PIP transfer. My appointee was sent form, he sent it to my supported living manager, she fill in form best she could, In a short time a assessor rang her and asked her some more questions, she was told I wouldn't have to attend a face to face medical, about 4 weeks later I was awarded PIP, high on both awards. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand DWP are way behind schedule for completion of transfer from DLA to PIP.
  • poppy123456
    As a community champion here on scope i'd like to remind you to please be mindful of your comments. If you don't like someone then please put them on ignore, this way you won't see their comments.
  • poppy123456
    @ilovecats has never hidden the fact they were a former assessor and has always been honest with everyone here.

I've never found their comments to be anything but honest, truthful and very helpful, which is what this forum is all about.

I totally understand mental health having suffered with it myself for over 20 years.

As for deleting your own posts, it's impossible to do this, only admin can delete a post. You can edit a comment you've made but you only have 1 hour in which to do this, after this time it's can't be edited by yourself. Only admin can do this.

As i previously advised, if you have issues with forum members then simply add them to your ignore list and then you won't see their comments. Ignore lists have been increased to allow more people to be added.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @apollo11cdr

When someone uses phrases such as 'people like you' it's a good indication that they are directing personal comments at an individual based on an assumption that they behave in the same manner as members of a particular group. Quite often these assumptions are wrong which is why such comments are unfair and unhelpful. All posters should be treated respectfully.

I had a bad experience with my assessment - but that doesn't mean that all of the assessors are bad, it just means that the individual that I dealt with was.

I am sorry that you have mental health issues that make you feel like this - can I suggest that it might be an idea to read through what you have written before pressing the 'post' button?
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Scope's online community is a supportive space to get disability advice and information 24/7, and talk to people with similar experiences.

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi everyone,

Some of the comments recently made on this thread have been removed by a moderator due to breaking rules within the community guidelines. Please do be respectful and understanding towards other other users. 

We understand that everyone has had different experiences and we are sorry if this has had an impact on your mental health. The community is a forum that is here to support all users.

Many thanks,
    Chloe
    Scope

• jenniej
    jenniej Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Julie how did your f2f go.?
  • JulieTuesday
    I couldn't find this thread!  I felt it was ok but then the next day I thought about what was said and it was not OK.  The assessor was a very young girl and in a mad rush, because I'm a bit slow, movements and talking, she was irritated by me, well that's how I felt.  I've either done very well, or I haven't got any points at all.  She was here for an hour and a half, very curt and efficient. But if she was under pressure I can understand that. She questioned my ability to move about as I don't use an aid in my home but do so when I go out,  I use the furniture instead to grasp hold of if needed.  I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable in asking for help but know I'm not alone now and thank you all for being there and able to just read others comments does help even if those comments that are not good, they make you feel you're not alone.  We keep our fingers corssed that anything we get is better than nothing.  I do not want to go through this again. x
  • G2019
    G2019 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    http://chng.it/7sZm4dTs

Please sign this petition against the DWP to take them to the priminister and please pass it on as much as possible 
    thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.