Can't get benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can't get benefits

robertmc09 Member Posts: 3 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: What is a "support group" in ESA?.


  • robertmc09
    robertmc09 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited January 2017
    Am recovering from throat cancer but can't get any benefits because my wife works. doctor has upped my antidepressants to 200 mil of sertraline have applied for ESA end of November but still nothing am at my wits end as my wife is having to pay for everything I have no income and the strain on my marriage of 44years is taking its toll please advice Robert McMillan
  • robertmc09
    robertmc09 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Is anyone there??
  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @robertmc09,
    Sorry to read about how hard things are for you at the moment.
    Our benefits advisors come on to the community about once a day. I'm sure you'll get a response from them very soon.

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi robertmc09,

    I'm also sorry to hear about the problems you have been having.

    There may be some benefits that you can claim that are not affected by your wife's earnings, for example personal independence payment or benefits paid based on your national insurance contributions. You may also qualify for part help with rent or council tax even with your wife's earnings taken into account.

    So I think you need a full benefit check to see what help you can get. The best people to ring are Macmillan Cancer Support on 0808 808 0000. The helpline is open Monday - Friday 9 - 8 pm. They will be able to do a full benefit check, help you fill out any forms and also see if there are any other grants or payments you may be eligible for.

    Good luck and do post back if you have any other queries.

    Best wishes,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.