Hi, my name is Suzyb1965! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Suzyb1965!

Suzyb1965
Suzyb1965 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My son is 15 years old and a wheelchair user.He has an undiagnosed bone Dysplasia and a scoliosis of the spine.He also has a four cm leg length discrepancy....also two crumbling hip balls......left is worse and needs a total replacement.Now we keep having problems at school....teachers rudely discussing how he walks fast so couldn't possibly be disabled.Another discussing with a class how my son is 2.2 foot tall......Another asking "remind me why you get transport to school Harry".We had to fight for a lift key because he cannot manage the stairs. 
We have had his DLA removed because he isn't disabled enough. My son is a typical boy who tries his best to get on as best as he can.He tries so hard to fit in with his friends but pain is stopping this now.Hopefully we can try and find some support with Scope .

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Suzyb1965.

A very big welcome to our online community. 

Yes you have come to the right place for support.

Can I please point you to our home page where you find a lot off info which should help you.

We also have a number off other groups for parents/carers to meet & discuss issues around there own health related conditions.

There is also a number off Advisors to be on hand for a number off other topics.

Please let me know if you require further support/help ??????? 

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Suzyb1965,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having - it sounds like a really tough time for you. Have you considered complaining to the school? You can find out more about complaints on the Gov.UK website.

In terms of your DLA being removed, have you appealed this decision? We have lots of information about Mandatory Reconsiderations and appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, which you might find useful.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.