Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

post office

nanof6nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
edited January 2018 in Disabled people
hi i have had a letter today from DWP saying to open a bank or building or credit union account to have my DWP money payed into.why? my postoffice is local, well 5 miles away, the bank is 10 miles away, the credit union is 20 miles away,thay have said do it stright away, but the post office says its not comming in till 2020,  why they doing this?

Replies

• MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    What dors " the post office isnt coming in" .....to what
  • nanof6nanof6 Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    oh the change over so everyone won't beable to have there money from PIP or any benifif from DWP payed into the post office  from 2020,  maybe its only in wales  i don't no 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,416 Disability Gamechanger

The Simple Payment Service has only ever been intended for use by customers who cannot open or operate a bank, building society or Post Office card account. The policy relating to this has not changed. Making customer payments via the Simple Payment Service is considerably more expensive than making payments directly into a personal bank, building society or credit union account; however, the service is available in emergency cases where it is not possible to use one of these options.

Current guidance instructs advisers to hold a method of payment discussion with all new customers to ascertain their payment details. Payment into a third party account is permitted on the customer’s instruction but is not mandatory. Following this discussion customers who are unable to access any other method of payment will be able to receive payment via the Simple Payment Service

• thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nanof6   Pleased to meet you.  I know it difficult for you for to open a bank account. 

The problem is that now DWP suggest you do this because it is too expensive to issue Giro.

I see reading that is nearest bank is 10 miles away.  I have a idea try to visit.  Arrange some one to go with you.  You can go into a private room if you wish to set an account up..  If you want I know I did say what I am disabled and the rest.  A lot of bank staff are really friendly and supportive.    This is what I have done.

The other issue that I only found out a few years ago.  That you can withdraw money from the Post Office over the counter using bank card.

Then I applied to bank on line.  It is safe and secure.  Any breaches of security will tell you.  Any problems a lot of banks have 24 hour helpline.  Use this if I need to.  Not good with IT.

Being a gentleman of certain age.

I am not used to this high tech stuff.  Having never ever to go into a bank is great, because I see it all on the web.  Then to Post Office to withdraw money, or cash machines.

I hope any of this helps.  Take care.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    yes thankyou for all help
Sign in or join us to comment.