Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

paying a PA a higher rate

picchypicchy Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in Disabled people

I wondered if anyone can give advice on this. I get Council funding to employ a PA but the rate of pay I've been awarded is so low I haven't found anyone decent. Does anyone have experience of paying them a higher rate out of your self-directed funds? It feels like it's my budget and I should be allowed to do this with it so I can find someone.

Any help most welcome!


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @picchy, and welcome to the community!

    It's a good question- take a look at our tips on employing a PA, and do come back to us with any questions. Some of our community members may be able to share their own experiences too!
  • picchypicchy Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks Pippa, I've read the section on Tips for employing a PA but there's nothing that addresses my question. Can you let me know where I might be able to ask someone whether it's possible to use the funds to pay a higher rate of pay? Many thanks, Chelsea
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @picchy, sorry to hear that. I've been having a look around online and been surprised at how little guidance there seems to be in this area! I'm tagging in @Angela_Scope in case she can offer any suggestions.

    One thing I did find was this factsheet from Disability Rights UK: whilst it doesn't address your specific query, there are lots of links to organisations and contacts who may be best placed to advise you further on this. DR-UK also have an advice line listed on that page, 0330 995 0404, which might also be worth a try. Really hope this helps!

Sign in or join us to comment.