PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Just had PIP assessment at home

clarzierclarzier Member Posts: 48 Courageous
Just had my assessment it was awful. I felt really uncomfortable and felt as though I was lying. The assessor didn't appear to have any medical knowledge and could not pronounce Crohns Disease or Psoractic arthritis and did not show any emotion or empathy at all. I offered to show her evidence as she had asked if my conditions had actually been diagnosed by a hospital but she refused to see it. She has me to do a range of physical tests which I couldnt do and said I couldn't due to pain. Don't know if this has made the assessment outcome worse.
All in all not very hopeful  

Replies

• lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    Hi,
    im sure things didn’t go as bad as you think
    if your condition affects you on a daily basis and you either can’t do anything or need assistance to manage to a reasonable standard and/ or for safety reasons
    you have nothing to worry about
  • clarzierclarzier Member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Hi lillybelle i had a ESA assessment last year and the person i saw was totally different and understanding compared to the assessor I saw yesterday. I just hope for good news x
  • Fight4JusticeFight4Justice Member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Make sure to request an assessor's report. If you had your assessment on Thursday, I'd try ringing up PIP next Wednesday and requesting the assessor's report then, mine arrived 3 days after I requested it, it will give you a good indication of what you'll likely be getting, as the assessor recommends to the "Decision Maker", at the back of the report, what points they think you should get. It also gives you a couple weeks headstart to prepare your Mandatory Reconsideration.

Also, once you receive your assessor's report, if they lied, make sure to send in a complaint to Atos. I'd recommend sending the complaint by email as it's more convenient. This is their email for submitting a complaint: [email protected] at the start of the email include your "claimant details": your name, date of birth, National Insurance No, full home address and contact number.

I'd also write an email to your MP and see if they can contact PIP on your behalf to complain. It will put an extra bit of pressure on the Case Manager/Decision Maker.

I did all the above for my situation. My assessor was incompetent and lied on my assessor's report throughout. The biggest lie was saying I had no "cognitive impairment issues" when I have diagnosed autism. Fortunately, due to the complaining I've done, the Decision Maker, is now taking my Diagnostic Assessment Report for autism, into account. I'm still waiting for my PIP award letter, no idea how it's going to go. Hoping I won't have to go through an MR, and potentially another tribunal.
    I already rang dwp asking for a copy about an hour after the assessment as I can see where this is heading. My assessor was CAPITA and I've emailed my MP, Sarah Newton MP and also an email addess advised by Sarah Newton. These assessments have got to stop it' a waste of taxpayers money and I'm sure that people are losing their lives due to the stress it causes. My concern is CAPITA say that their assessor must have basic requirements of being a nurse, OT or paramedic and I can't believe she was any of those x
    My home assessment was yesterday with a nurse from capita. She seemed to know about epilepsy in general and also asked when my ailments were diagnosed. I didn’t show any proof ( over 40yrs ago) but she noted down all medication that I was taking as I gave her the boxes. Even though the doctors letter that was sent with the form states all this.
      I also did some exercises such as putting arms above head, around back and pinching her fingers. All that I could do.
    however I also have a back injury. Medication was shown and diagnoses details not shown .i couldn’t bend down or touch toes. I could only stand on my left leg with right raised but not the other way around as I have sciatica pain That affects right leg & foot.
    she said she understood
      I will ask for report on Monday. 
    So my assessment was similar to yours so don’t jump to conclusions or give up yet as it will make you ill. 
       I was surprised that she asked what education and qualifications I had had. I replied that I have 0levels 
    She also asked who had filled the application form in.
    a local disability advisor did it (and he deals with tribuneral cases. )
    However the adviser did say that when capita read the form they wouldn’t just push it to one side.
    he had only stated on it that each daily function could either not be done or needed assistance because of safety reasons and at a reasonable standard in a reasonable amount of time
       I hope I have put your mind at rest
    I was asked some exercises but I couldn' do them and said that I couldn't due to pain and she said ok. I have had a sleepless night and spent this morning in floods of tears. I keep replaying everything over and over in my head x
  • dee4848dee4848 Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    @lillybelle The questions on your qualifications are based on your memory 
    Okay, good to know. Glad she didn’t want to know what subjects as I’ve forgot Lol :)
    Clazier.
    i think you are upsetting yourself a little prematurely atm. You won’t be able to progress things properly and in the correct way IF there is any need later on when the results arrive.
    my report may come back with lies etc. However I shall deal with that IF & WHEN it happens.
    dont worry about things that haven’t happened yet.
    good luck and keep us updated.
    chin up  :)
Sign in or join us to comment.