Hello I'm Claire, ask me questions about living with chronic pain - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello I'm Claire, ask me questions about living with chronic pain

Options
12346»

Comments

• Bubbles007
    Bubbles007 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hello @Claire, I too, like others here, have fibromyalgia and as Henry says it is a curse! There seems to be no real help out there except 'self management' and medications that have negative side effects and no positive benefits. Also I have severe depression and anxiety which means it is difficult, nigh on impossible, to motivate myself any more. I have fought against my depression for my entire life - I am now 54 years old. I lost my job, my friends, my financial security, and my 'raison d'etre. I can't see the point of me any more; I just exist with pain in my body and pain in my mind. 
    Aw gosh I am sorry for your pain I hear you and send love and strength to you ❤️ 
  • gareth79
    gareth79 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Claire , 
    I have joint hypermobility and fibromyalgia diagnosed 2 years ago, my mother also has fibromyalgia diagnosed over 20 years ago.......
    I don't take anything for pain, arms, shoulders, wrists, ankles and legs all hurt, fatigue is so annoying....although still work 40 hours study 20 hours a week and get on the push bike when I can .......
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @gareth79 thanks for sharing your experiences in this discussion, it sounds like you've got plenty on your plate!

Do you feel as though you would benefit from any additional support for managing your pain, or just generally managing things day to day? If you're interested, you can look into self-referring for a needs assessment. This can help with aids and adaptions you might need at home for example, to help lessen any high levels of fatigue.

What are you studying at the moment? :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My questions to Claire are
    How is it like parenting with chronic pain?
    How do you cope with your pain? 
    Is there anytime you aren't in pain? 
  • gareth79
    gareth79 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi  Alex, thanks for the information, however I do manage to cope with everything from the pain to fatigue, it seems  many people with fibro struggle with anxiety and depression, I don't have that, I just accept it for what it is and keep going, I find when I stop doing things or give up on things it gets worse, so for instance I go out  cycling but I force myself to do it at times, and can't cover anywhere near the distances I used to, but still enjoy it.  As for the fatigue,  this time of year the fatigue is worse, but it's manageable just annoying. 
    Studying, I am currently doing a psychology degree, this year I needed more points to progress to year 3 so I'm studying mental health and counselling at present. ( When I have the energy to concentrate ☺️)
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds brilliant @gareth79 I hope the rest of your studies go well :)

You're welcome to spend time looking around the forum if you'd like, we've even got a Six Nations Sweepstake running if rugby is something you enjoy. Here's a few of the best places to get started:
    • Recent discussions is where you'll find all the latest conversations our members are having
    • The categories page shows all the different topics for discussion
    • The virtual coffee lounge is a place to chat, get to know other members, and play games too
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.