Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

KaleidoScope: Our own gallery for members' art work, crafts and photographs.

Options

Comments

• Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Wow!! Superb sketch @Autumn_FeelingB)   

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• marybottomley
    marybottomley Community member Posts: 900 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for all of comments on my photo 
  • Pandapaws
    Pandapaws Community member Posts: 499 Pioneering
    Options
    @bekindalways wow what a fabulous cake and buffet for your friends 70th. I bet they absolutely loved it! Hope you feel better soon 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lot of work and thought gone in to the cake and buffet @bekindalways sorry if it left your body in pain 
  • SueHeath
    Options
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I see @bekindalways yes i can see it can be a bit of a problem when you can't see or hear the other person - makes sense.
    I've had a good day hope you have as well.
  • Artful
    Artful Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Options
    Les525 said:

This may seem far fetched, but it really happened. 

Paddington Station  

It was late on a day in October or maybe November, the exact day or month I cannot recall I had just finished an evening of study at The Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Education in Maida Vale where I was studying Transpersonal Counselling.  It had been an intense evening.  I was tired and a little stressed mulling over what seemed like mountainous events going on in my life.  It was a dark cold and wet evening, the well but strangely lit platform had an air of sadness and despondency as people were waiting for the train that would pass through Teddington where I would change to get the train to Sunbury on Thames where I had a small flat.

As I was half taking in the metallic noises of trains arriving and departing the still busy station and watching people go past with their faces drawn and tired, a guy, possibly in his forties, quite thin, dishevelled with untidy greying hair, carrying a can of what looked like lager came wobbling along the platform.  I was drawn to this person because although he was not steady on his feet, he walked with some purpose.  

As he approached where I was standing, I stepped back to avoid him possibly knocking into me, I remember clutching a little tighter my ring binder type briefcase as though I might drop it if I didn’t, then to my utter surprise he stopped right in front of me turned to me and said in a very clear and lucid voice ‘Everything will be alright Les’.  With that he turned away and wobbled off.  I stood there watching him totter down the platform my mouth open looking for some immediate answer to what had just happened.  I wanted to go after him, but my feet would not move, I remember looking at my feet on the dampened ground my mind so confused I could not take it in.  The next thing I knew was my train coming into the station it seemed to make more noise than usual, so loud, I looked at the train with a somewhat startled expression that must have looked like a rabbit in headlights, when I looked back for the dishevelled man he was nowhere to be seen.  He was not on the train as it had not stopped yet.  Although there were a few people on the platform edging towards the slowing carriages there were not enough to make him blend into the background.  I boarded the train and contemplated walking through the doors adjoining the carriages to try to find him, but I convinced myself that he was not on this train as I was feverishly looking for him right up until everybody but three or four people were left to board.  I found a seat in the crowded carriage and sat there with my brief case on my lap, staring blankly at the people around me.  I looked out of the window but saw little apart from the lights from buildings and cars piercing the darkness and the rain as we trundled along.  The reflection of the woman sitting opposite me momentarily broke my vacant concentration and I continued to look around and people watch as one does on a train or bus.

The rest of my journey to Teddington was a mixed blur of confusion and wonder.  As we were approaching the station, I suddenly thought he may live near me and know me from someone in my street, I tried to rush off the train as it pulled into the platform, but the doors would not open until the train had come to full stop.  If I could catch a glimpse of the dishevelled thin man with his can of lager changing trains that would make sense, maybe I could ask him what he meant or where he knew me from, but nothing, he was nowhere to be seen.  After a few minutes with me standing again on a platform staring again into space my train to Sunbury pulled in with ridiculous normality.  I sat in a seat and pondered why this man had such an effect on me, why did it matter so much, I could avail no answer.  To this day I do not know who the thin man was, how on earth he knew my name and how he knew I was going through a stressful time in my life.  He will always remain a mystery to me.  He had a profound affect on my evening and I’m guessing on my life as its eighteen years since.  

As I write this memory, I wonder how many people have experienced something simple that has stayed with them for so many years and made a difference to their lives in even the smallest way.  This all sounds like a stolen tale of mystery; however, this is a true event and yes, still a real mystery.

I know this experience along with the others is something I will never forget.

Hi Les, I am not quite sure if this is how I am surprised to comment on a post but anyhoo here goes, I have had similar experiences to the one you have described here and no it doesn’t sound far-fetched. Life is a lot more complex than it is made out to be and I feel this dishevelled man was an Angel speaking to you. You were plainly on the right track. I am going to clarify that I am not religious but I have accepted that there is more to all of this than just us ( thank heavens as the human race is generally pretty near-sighted ). Did you perhaps feel a shift in your consciousness or your tolerance that day? Did you start to question thinks a little more, did you feel more at peace with yourself? And thank you for sharing by the way, I have tried for years to get my book written and your motivation is refreshing. 

Sandy_123 said:
    This is a drawing I did from the who album quadrophenia
    Sandy_123 said:
    This is a drawing I did from the who album quadrophenia
    You killed my Scooter!!! Great pic 😊😊
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    what a great looking cake and buffet, well done to you @bekindalways

• emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
  • emancherry33
    Options
  • emancherry33
    Options
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Out and about
    Lovely photo's looks you you had a good day out - thanks for sharing 
  • emancherry33
    Options
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hey @emancherry33! Aww beautiful pics ❤️ 

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• emancherry33
    Options
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Did you go walking @emancherr33 - some great photo's 
  • emancherry33
    Options
    @SueHeath,yes I go for a walk abouts and have my phone with me all local
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lovely photos @emancherry33 thanks for sharing
  • sazza
    sazza Community member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Options
    Here are a couple of manipulated photos that I took.
    I’ve been experimenting with digital art - finger painting from scratch as well. 
    They are both real photos of real things - can you tell what the original photos were ?

The life of a Mutant is always intense 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Wow there different @sazza got no idea what the original was tho
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.