PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

assessment

ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 250 Pioneering
had my assessment today was awful woman was fast did not want us to talk she was not interested just had her questions she wanted to ask .told my sister no we do not  need to talk about that and carried on with her questions ,preparing food ,bathing washing bills and medication ,brief talk on my conditions, this  is my third one now she was the worse the physical was a joke a high bed and a high step i told her i would try ,but stopped i told her it hurt and i can not do it , she said just try felt like i had no choice .could not wait to get out off there all over in 1 hour ,am not hopeful. anybody else experienced this  ?     

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Toffee

Your story is not uncommon, give it a couple of days and then ask for a copy of the assessment report

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ToffeeToffee Member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Hi and thank you CR 
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,297 Disability Gamechanger
    @Toffee, hello when and if you get your accessment report as I have been told DWP are stopping sending them out till the award letter has been sent, but this could be some cases only. At the end of the report your award scoring is listed so you will be able to work out what your award may should be. Plus having the report you can see where the accessor has made false assumptions and reported inaccurate details about your conditions and abilities. So you if the information to start and prepare for a MR if needed, good luck keep posting updates.
  • JurphJurph Member Posts: 346 Pioneering
    @wilko that's interesting! I had that happen to me. I asked for my report in my letter asking for a MR. (13th Feb)

They didn't send it. I called on 15th March as I received the MR notice without it! Finally got ut on the 19th March
    PIP assessment reports are best requested within a 2-4 days of the assessment.
    Getting it as early as possible may give you a chance to talk to a DM about any concerns before the decision is made.

As most letters from DWP take 10-12 days to arrive, to wait for it before requesting an MR can mean a bit of time juggling. If you request it at the same time as MR it will probably be to late

NI are telling people that the report cannot be sent before the decision

Esa reports are seldom sent before the decision is made

CR
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Why are they asking people to step up onto something when the mobility is only flat ground?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
    Thank you all very much I will ask for my report, the step was high I would say it was about the hight off a normal stair plus half again whistles 
    Hi was just wondering at what stage do pip ask for your medical records please? 
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    Oh that's not good thank you lilybelle 
    Just received a text measage from DWP saying they got my assessor report will ring today and ask for a copy said it can take up to 4 weeks got my esa interview today dreading it 
  • MarkinsuttonMarkinsutton Member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Good luck, the whole experience isn't nice and the anxiety is enough to make anyone ill. The one thing that kept me going is knowing that I am not the only person experiencing this and whatever happens happens and you can deal with it when it does. I know it doesn't make it any easier.. keep us posted. 
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Toffee said:
    Thank you all very much I will ask for my report, the step was high I would say it was about the hight off a normal stair plus half again whistles 
    Do they make their own rules. It said on my forms stairs were outside the help of pip.
    So why ask you to step up onto something that they supposedly can't score for?
    Unless it's coordination? 
    I can trip up kerbs, they don't include those.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
    Yes I am starting to think that will keep you posted esa assessment was a nicer person but very much the same questions 
  • lindadeniselindadenise Member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Same happened to me had a very pushy assessor who made myself and my daughter very uncomfortable. I was pushed to do activities that i could not do. I have done a MR i feel annoyed at the way they treat people.
    And me it is so wrong what's a MR please lindiadenise have you heard from yours yet please wondering how long it's takes and dose it take the 4 weeks they say 
    Mandatory Reconsideration is when you disgree with the decision it has to be in within 4 weeks of decision letter date. I have not heard anything yet.
    Thank you lindiadenise and the best off luck for you 
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Cockyrebel.    I  phoned twice.   I was told  that they do nor release assess  reort.  Until  a decision  is  made. 
    They  now  have it set up   the telephone line   us engaged   all  the time...  I tried to phone again on 23. 03. 18.
    Does  the  law    not state    that one  can   request  and get the report  right away  ?
    Most of the phone jockeys are poorly trained at best and will tell you anything to get you off the phone

PIP reports should be available shortly after assessment, I am unaware of any change
    However NI commonly telling people that the report will not be sent before the decision is made ( little use by then )

ESA reports are not generally sent before decision

CR
  • sleepy1sleepy1 Member Posts: 299 Pioneering
    I received a text message from DWP on Wednesday to say they had got the report and would make a decision in around 4 weeks, no need for me to contact them. 
    I rang and asked for a copy but was also told I would have to wait until a decision was made because often a decision maker will need time to clarify things with the assessor first and the report may need to be altered.
    Good luck sleepy 8 days today after my assessment 
    Hi all I just rang and no out come as yet but man said he would send my report out with the bank holiday I should get it in 12 days 
  • JurphJurph Member Posts: 346 Pioneering
    Mine said the same! The ones I've seen a lot is having a 'good raport' and 'looking well nourished'
    There basically saying your doctor is a lier.. Its all wrong 
    Mine says the same.
    my illness is epilepsy not anorexia 
    Two weeks today still waiting for outcome wondering shall I ring see if there's any news 
    hi all got my pip report a lot off lies I scored 11 daily living and 4 mobility Please any body know what that means plz 
    11 is low rate care you needed 1 more point for enchanced.
    4 nothing for mobility.
    You need 8 for low rate mobility
    12 for enchanced.
    Hope that helps.
    You can do a Mandatory reconsideration.
    Thank you yes I will do that do you know how and what I have to do please 
    edited April 2018
    There is a link on here to do a mandatory consideration letter i will look for it and link it to you.
    Thank you so much lindadenise 
    Just finished my MR.
    rang the DWP and told them. They asked me if I wanted to do it over the phone.
    i said no as I had done it all in writing and was sending it by recorded delivery tomorrow.
    had an email straight away to say I had 4weeks to get the MR in.
    sent same GP letter and a neurologist appointment in with it.
    no other medical evidence is needed as the diagnosis isn’t being questioned.
    there are many areas that I feel that my safety has not been taken into consideration.
    also the fact that the decision was based on a 60minute assessment and not on my daily needs.
    eg- it said I was quite capable of engaging with others etc.
    however after a seizure I’m not. This happens daily, numerous occasions without warning.
    And this is not what has been considered during decision making.
    we will see if anything comes of it.
    if not then it’s the next step.
    but at least I can say that I’ve tried.
    got 6 points for daily and 12 for mobility
    Good luck I will start mine to I do a letter to better than phone call 
    Yes, do a letter. Download a form from DWP website and fill it in.
    i feel that you can express your own views better in writing and you also know what has been read rather than listened to on a recording.
    i did get my first ESA overturned 4years ago this way although it did say in the letter that it didn’t need to go to an MR .
    my recent ESA last month went through with no problem into support group.
      I don’t expect the same from this though, although I need to go through this stage to get to the tribuneral stage.
    im only asking for 2 more points.
    Dont waffle, or make out that the assessor is lying.
    explain why you think it is wrong. Give any examples if you can.
    and stress why you need assistance and keep repeating it over and over again.
    my main reason is safety.
    and putting myself in dangerous situations that can cause harm.
    some actually life threatening such as drowning.
    wish you luck. Let’s see who hears first
    Btw make sure you make a copy
    I will thank you lilybelle 
    Do you loose what they have all ready given you plz 
    They look at the whole award again.
    so there is a chance that you could loose it, although that is rare. 
    It just depends how much you think  you have been awarded wrongly.
    i am asking for the daily element as I haven’t got an award for that
    no doubt they will look at the mobility but I am confident enough that that will stay as it is.
    it is upto you to decide.
    if I was given standard on each I would of been happy.
       However I think my decision is wrong and the advice centre that I go to said the same
    Thank you lilybelle I will try and get cab look at it see what they think 
  • Tigermoth42Tigermoth42 Member Posts: 242 Pioneering
    Hi all, just thought I’d add my twopennethworth! I’ve recently had a pip assessment and have had my benefit reduced from higher rate of both to standard rate of care only by the DWP based on the pack of lies told by the assessor. I’ve got the ball rolling by calling the DWP and lodging a complaint and have requested a copy of the assessors report. I am following it up with a letter detailing the finer points and a letter from my gp (although I can’t see him until the 18th!) and pain management doctor. The assessor has (a) told bare-faced lies and (b) written the exact opposite of what I told her. I’ve had two previous assessments for pip (latterly dla) both of which were quite a positive experience, this one though...well the mind just boggles. I’ve heard firsthand and read that they have targets to meet and people are being deliberately failed in order to achieve those targets. We’re just faceless entities and numbers on bits of paper and it has to stop. The assessor made no reference to my crippling depression and anxiety, in fact the exact opposite, I struggle in social situations and actively avoid these, including driving, and am totally incapable of undertaking a journey by myself, she’s told them I have no problem with this. She said I was able to interact socially when I told her I can’t. She said I needed an aid to bath or shower, I have to be washed by my husband, perhaps he’s the aid to which she’s referring? She said my hip rotation was moderately reduced, I couldn’t even get on the bed for her to test this. She said I crouched halfway down and bent forward to touch mid shin. I didn’t perform either of these actions. The only time I touched my shins was when I was sitting and, as I have quite long arms, was able to touch mid-shin, although I suspect most people would be able to do the same. The list goes on. I’m disgusted by the whole process, the DWP needs to look again at how assessments are made. My anxiety is now at an all time high and my depression is flooring me, my tachycardia is causing me distress and this can be directly related to stress levels. How they can do this to people is totally beyond me, I guarantee they wouldn’t swap their lives for mine, one of severe pain, depression and anxiety that renders me incapable of doing anything most days. To say I’m seething with hurt, anger and frustration is putting it mildly! 
    P.S. I recently had an ESA medical assessment and the assessor was lovely. I’m in the support group with the disability premium. 
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,297 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done you good luck with the appeal. 
    I’ve just sent my MR in.
    being given enhanced mobility but only 6 points for daily living
    my assessor wrote mostly what I told her however she then  disregarded the majority saying that in her opinion I could do things without help.
    how they can come to this conclusion in 60 mins I don’t know.
    i need assistance during and after seizures which are uncontrolled, daily and happen with no warning.
    i don’t expect any change at MR. So I’m concentrating more at tribuneral.
    good luck
    the system sucks
    Oh I am so stressed out now my esa have through me off got a phone call today.. Why do these assesses tell lies.. The system all wrong I am putting in a MR 
    They did that to me a few years ago and i got my doctor and the dystonia society to write me a letter. I scored 0 points but it was overturned under social security act and they put me in support group. Won at MR so do that first and fight.
    Thank you just been to doctors and put a request in for my diagnosis and why she thinks am un fit for work.. The woman from the dwp told me to do that on the telephone today. That what they scored me 0 lindadenise what are these assers on . I glad you won yours
    I really dont know how they look at everyone in 40 mins and decide your not ill. I have 3 seperate illnesses and and they seem to make up a report that is completely the opposite to what you say. I have no faith in these assessors.
    When they overturned my ESA they put that the hcp were ignorant of my illnesses and never understood any of it.
    Good luck x
    Yes I agree just read my pip report gain contridicks it's self going to say that in my complaint will get it posted off before Friday I hope.. So stressed I  hope I can get in with cab in time dose anybody know any where else please 
    Any body else get pages n pages on the pip report and the assers name on it please? Or they sent me there copy? And her scoring system please? 
    I am on my 4 page  written off my atos complaint on only on page 3 off theres.. Its awful I can not believe they have even made a mistake on there medication bit off my  report shocking 
    Me again anybody tell me dwp told me to claim jobseekers why my MR for esa is going through anybody any advise on this please 
    I did go on jobseekers for a couple of weeks and i was so ill my doctor gave a sick note to say i was unfit for work.
    I won my MR so keep fighting.
    oh thank you lindadesise i will do that then thank you for all your help you are a star 
    Your welcome hope you get your esa back and pip 
    right am on right track but having problems finding this MR form for my pip anybody know where to find it please ? and is there one for ESA TO PLEASE while am at it 
    I am trying to find the Pip MR letter template i used. I  am sure its on hear look under Pip MR and see if its there. In the mean time i will try and find it for you.
    Toffee go to home page put in Pip Mandatory Reconsideration letter template and it will take you to the link x
    thank you i got it can start it now phew good start was looking for hours me and pc do not go :) 
    Do not concentrate on the lies told by the assessor, although you need to address the inaccuracies your main job at MR and appeal if necessary is to show that you meet the criteria for an award

Complaints about the HCP will not win you your award, this should be addressed as a separate complaint to the assessment company.

It is natural to rattle on about this lie and that lie, this opinion is wrong, that opinion is wrong etc if you do that in your MR it  probably won't get read properly, if at all. Stick to proving your case

CR
    They have put my anttripaline  down as a anti depression pill I am not on it for that but for pain I'm on 40mg and and 8 zapain a day.. All through the report they say pain releif is low on every activity... I know nothing around this it's a lot to me... Any body know please 
    Cockyrebel I am following this advise thank you so much I scraped my letter now filling out a form thanks to great people on the site people have been amazing I am on a all high stress 
    Get your GP to do you a letter and tell them what pain you are in and how affects you each day. 
    Good luck 
    Why not write it by hand.
    i printed off the MR forms off the DWP website and sat there writing it .
    took copies of each page and then posted it with the same medical evidence that I gave in before just in case they lost the first lot.
    havent mentioned the assessor much.
    just said why each decision was wrong and why.kept on coming back to my main reason of asking for an MR which is safety.
    then I summed it up at the end and asked how an assessor could make a decision on my care in 60 mins when she had not seen me during & after a seizure which is when I need the care.
    hopefully a different DM might understand my needs. Although I’m not holding my breath.
    but I feel I have a good case and it should stand up at tribuneral
    Yes I have appointments with gp Friday I will get one as I never got one at the being I thought they would see and a prescription slip to good lock with your lindiadenise 
    Thanks Toffee 
    My MR letter ran to 5 pages as they were wrong on so many counts. I used the dwp assessment as a guide and challenged their decision based on what I can’t do when they said I can. I don’t know if they’ll read it all, if they don’t, it just adds weight if it goes to tribunal. They can’t possibly assess your day to day needs and disability in a 45 minute interview with a stranger. I can’t get a gp letter until the 18th April such is the useless system at the surgery. According to the receptionist, they won’t discuss it during an emergency appointment. I’ve got one of those today as I’m in such a mess & will take my papers with me just in case. Let me know if I can help in any way Toffee, luckily my husband is incredibly supportive, he drafted the letter as I’m in no state to do anything. 
    You to tigermoth42
    Its a awfull system my esa lasted 20 min and my  pip 60 min I put a letter in Monday for my esa one they just rang said its ready. That cost 20 pound now I put one in for a pip letter so that be another 20.. Can you not put a letter into your gp requesting one might be quicker. I been up the wall doing mine. But getting there good luck today and if I can help in anyway just let me know. 
  • charlenecharlene Member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Toffee I am on Amitripiline, 5 tabs at night, taken in the hope of going into a deep restful sleep. My assessor wrote on a low dose pain killer, so I have written in my MR, exactly why I take Amitripiline. I also told them I was on a 2nd line high dose painkiller.  

Just let let them know exactly what you take Amitripiline for and what you take for pain.  All the very best.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    Ty yes Charlene I will I think they you this low dosage a lot good luck with yours 
    Hi @Toffee, saw my gp this morning and she’s basically refusing to do a letter as, “in her experience” the dwp don’t read them. I don’t know how she knows this, I wasn’t in a fit state to question her and I don’t know how much more of this I can take. I was in bits in her office and said I just want to die so she’s prescribed diazepam to help me for a few days. My husband is incensed. One of the citizens advice bureau recommendations is to provide medical evidence, and this includes a letter from your gp. I’ve now booked another appointment with a different doctor on Friday to ask him if he’ll write one for me. I’m quite prepared to pay for it. We’ll take a printed copy of the CAB recommendations with us and he’s coming in with me as I’ve completely lost the plot now. It’s like banging your head against a brick wall. 
    @Toffee just to add, he’s said he’s going to write to the practice lead and ask her for one if we get nowhere on Friday. Thank god for him is all I can say, I’ve no idea how people on their own manage to cope with this mess that is none of our making. 
  • charlenecharlene Member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Hope it all goes well for you Tigermoth.  
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
    @charlene thank you so much my lovely ❤️
    Oh I feel for  u tigermoth42 that's awful.. Its all wrong the system where in bad . Stressful is not the word.. Keep fighting it we will all get there don't let them win.. That's what they want.. Trust me I felt like it with all the stress at times..Good luck on Friday  That Dr don't sound supportive. But some are not 
    @Toffee thank you so much for your lovely message. You guys are helping me so much with your support, it’s just knowing I’m not alone in this that helps me carry on. Hope you have a good day my lovely, bearing in mind your difficulties. Xx
    Oh no I need a new doctors letter that sates trouble with daily living and mobility.... Oh am stressed out to the max me it said about medical history and chroic pain not hope I don't cope
    Oh my day getting worse just received my esa report lie after lie why do they do this 
    Oh @Toffee I feel for you lovely, this whole thing is so unnecessary. The stress it’s causing so many people is awful. It’s a flipping lottery as to whether your gp will write a letter or not and I’ve just read that they may not do a letter on how you cope day to day, which I guess makes sense as they’re not seeing you struggle on a daily basis. But surely your physical health has a knock-on affect with respect to how you cope, so they could make a considered guess at how your disabilities affect your life. My sister’s gp did just that in her letter of support. Apparently, letters from friends and family carry some weight, how true that is I don’t know. 
    Thank you tigermoth42 xx
    Oh @Toffee I feel for you lovely, this whole thing is so unnecessary. The stress it’s causing so many people is awful. It’s a flipping lottery as to whether your gp will write a letter or not and I’ve just read that they may not do a letter on how you cope day to day, which I guess makes sense as they’re not seeing you struggle on a daily basis. But surely your physical health has a knock-on affect with respect to how you cope, so they could make a considered guess at how your disabilities affect your life. My sister’s gp did just that in her letter of support. Apparently, letters from friends and family carry some weight, how true that is I don’t know. 
    They can carry some weight. Sometimes letters like these are better when put in a more formal testamonial format .

So their letters must include their name and address, they need to explain their relation to the claimant and how often they see them.

Then they need to explain anything they see the claimant do or not do in regard to the relevant benefits activities and any other comments that they have.

Lastly they need to attest that the information that they have provided is correct to the best of their ability.

CR
    Hi @CockneyRebel, thank you so much for your reply. I think I’ll try and get my family to write something for me, I’m wondering if the people at the Drug and Alcohol place might put something in writing for me. I see them once a fortnight for morphine and codeine addiction and, if the meeting is on the first floor I struggle horribly, they usually manage to accommodate me downstairs. 
    I just done a new request into gp stating daily living etc... See if this works am going round in circles thank god for this site I would alone and off well lost it 
    Me too @Toffee I’m so glad I’ve found this place, there’s some great support out there. Good luck x
    Thank you tigermoth42
    This is what I have written
    Thank you for doing my letter but I think I asked for it wrong
    I am asking you to do a letter for me please for my esa mandatory reconciliation 
    The trouble I have with daily living with having anxiety depression panic attacks Ptsd  and living with  chronic pain 
    My English and writing skills are rubbish see.. I find letters and stuff hard 
    Ps when I filled my esa form in I put nothink change as am rubbish at forms now am in a mess
    Hi @Toffee, if I can help in any way with writing letters for you please please just ask. I’m more than happy to draft something for you. I think what you’ve written is perfect, it says what you need and thanks them for what they’ve already done for you. Let’s hope you get a quick reply xx
    And the same goes for the dreaded forms @Toffee, I’m only a message away hun xx
    Oh thank you tigermoth42 xx
    My GP wrote me a letter £40. Not been with them long so they didn’t really know my medical history.
    anyhow just said what I had, what medication I was on. That it affected my day to day life ( didn’t say how) and that if they wanted any more info to contact them ( they won’t)
    i am lucky but some GP,s are that overworked that they can’t spend hours writing letters that they know full well the DWP will not take notice of.
    can you imagine the hundreds of letters if not thousands they would have to write as well as their other work plus see patients.
    i would just send in proof of all medication that you take and concentrate on the points what you should get.
    Yes you are right lilybelle I was up till 3am and on it 7am till just now.. My head is in a spin but my esa Mr is nearly done i am at the doctors at 4pm I feel for the gp cause off dwp it's more pressure on them this system bad 
    Hi @Toffee, how are things with you today? Hope you got on ok at the doctors, did you get your MR sent off? All best wishes, Gail 
    Hi tigermoth42 
    Still working on my MR nearly finished for esa one
    Doctor  letter was no good 
    So got to put in for another one tomorrow 
    Dr sent me to rheumatology for diagnosis off fibo after 3half years 
    And changed my medication 
    So am geting  there
    How are you? Xx
    Evening @toffee, I’m not too bad thanks hun under the circumstances of all the stress of my PIP claim. Can I ask why the doctor’s letter was no good. I only ask because I’ve been advised that you need to be careful when sending letters of support from gp’s. Sometimes they can be more of a hindrance than a help if/when your medical records might be asked for. Hope you have a peaceful evening my lovely, Gail  
    Hi tigermoth42
    This is for my esa one now the dwp said they want a letter from my gp stating conditions and stating why she thinks am un fit for work.. Oh never ends can not wait till its all in the post.. The stress is just to much . Will put it back in again hope you av a good night to sleep well xx
    Oh @toffee I feel for you my lovely. I had an esa assessment and they put me straight into the support group with no quibble whatsoever. I also get a disability guarantee thing. It’s just a nightmare, I feel like I just want the world to stop so I can draw breath. Why, when we’re at our lowest ebb, are we given even more stress to try and cope with. Sending you hugs, sleep well too xxx
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    Hi all,

I'm so sorry you're having so many problems with this. It happens to a lot of people. I also got 0 points for PIP, and my report was ridiculous. Said I had no specialist input for my mental health or my chronic pain - I'm in a Personality Disorders outpatient program, and have been at the pain clinic for almost 2 years (this is my second time there). I counted and there are 30 serious errors in the report. MR did no good - prepare yourselves for that. The DWP had a target that only 20% of MRs should overturn the original award, so it's fairly unlikely that you'll be one of the lucky ones. 

However, once you get the MR letter you can appeal to HMRC for an independent tribunal. These often take months to arrange, depending on where you live (mine is at least 20 weeks), but they're well worth it! Currently the success rate for PIP is 69%, and for ESA it's similar! The panel is usually a judge, a doctor, and a disability "expert". It's a bit stressful, because they ask you a lot of questions, but they're well aware of the terrible standard of the assessor's reports, and make every effort to understand what your daily life is like. They tend to put much more weight on what you say than the DWP do. You can bring someone for support, although they usually can't answer questions. I've been to Tribunal 5 times for DLA, PIP, and ESA, and won every time. 

You can send in a written submission for the Tribunal laying out your case, but it should be succint. They're not paid for the time they spend reading. 

For filling in forms, the assessment, MR, and Tribunal, remember that, although you do need to tell them your diagnoses, your treatment and meds, etc., what they judge your case on is your functional ability. Also, you have to be incapable of doing the activity at least 50% of the time. In addition, look up the reliability definition. They often ignore this, so it can be very important for you to address it. You have to be able to do things repeatedly, safely, in a reasonable time, and to a reasonable standard.

Example: Preparing and cooking food:
    Can you stand long enough to cook? If not, why? Can you do it if you use an aid? Can you do it if someone helps you? Do you need supervision (if you have epilepsy, or are on a lot of meds that make you unsafe) in order to be safe?
    Would doing it for one meal mean that you're too exhausted/in pain to cook another meal in the day? 
    Do you have mental health problems? Do you have serious problems motivating yourself to cook because of depression? Can you do it if someone prompts you, or assists you? 
    Do you lose concentration and forget that you're cooking? Have you booked pans dry, burned your food, caused a fire as a result?

As for GPs letters, again, they need to confirm your diagnosis and meds, but most important is for them to talk about how your conditions affect you. They may not be able to comment on some things, like whether you can cook (they're not there, and if you've never talked to them about it, they just don't know). They might be able to say something about whether you can feed yourself, though. If you show up to see them and are extremely thin whenever you get depressed, they can say that. 

There's a site called benefits and work which is absolutely fantastic. They have amazing guides for everything, and a forum with a very knowledgeable mod. They have a package you can give to a doctor/therapist which explains what the letter should comment on. It costs £20 a year to join, but it's well worth it!

Medical evidence is useful to support your case, but the best evidence tends to be letters/reports which discuss your function. These can be from physios, occupational therapists, etc.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Oh, and this whole process makes a lot of people ill, particularly if they had pre-existing mental health conditions. People often feel much more anxious, depressed, have more flares, more pain, etc. Have compassion for yourself, and definitely get some help if you're getting really ill. My anxiety and depression have skyrocketed, and I barely leave the house at this point. My pain is worse and I'm having far more frequent muscle spasms. I've started drinking unhealthily to deal with the stress. I've always been an insomniac, but at the moment it's completely insane - I'm on hour 50 of being awake. This kind of thing happens to a lot of people - you're not alone.

Oh, and one more thing! A lot of the words the DWP uses have meanings you wouldn't expect. Example: a "simple meal" is a cooked (on the hob or in a microwave, but they ignore using the oveno one-course meal for one using fresh ingredients. You can find all this info on the web.

Novel finished!

Good morning @Waylay, what a brilliant and informative post! With the benefit of hindsight I went into the latest assessment somewhat unprepared. I guess because the last four/five I’ve had were reasonably ok experiences, I didn’t plan well for this last one, I definitely didn’t focus enough on how things affect me day to day, primarily because I couldn’t concentrate owing to the state I was in, and, overall, my claim wasn’t helped by the apparently complete misreporting by the HCA. I didn’t think to mention that my ‘simple meal for one’ consists of a TV dinner in the microwave, not one prepared from fresh ingredients. The only bad experience I’d had previously was an ESA health assessment about 6 years ago when I messed up the dates, missed the appointment by a day as we were on holiday in Cuba and I didn’t take into account the time difference. When I called to rebook the girl actually told me I had no business going on holiday if I was disabled, I was so taken aback I didn’t report it but it sums up the attitude of some people. I included letters from pain clinic consultant, mental health team and an X-ray report in support of my recent MR, like you my mental state is worse now than it’s ever been, I’m barely functioning, getting 2 hours max sleep per night and, on top of that, I’m trying to be supportive of my daughter who’s in crisis with her mental health. At least the sun is shining atm!  
Sign in or join us to comment.