Needs have changed — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Needs have changed

mamag
mamag Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im on the lower rate of pip but myneeds have changed. Can i and should i get in touch to get the higher rate. With the meds im on i now am unable to go anywhere on the bus as i am constantley zoned out my husband or family have to take me also im on longterm sick as am unable to do my job anymore. Not sure how to go about it.

Comments

• duckett123
    duckett123 Member Posts: 81 Courageous
    you phone dwp to tell them your needs have changed but they will send you for reassessment and it will be up to them if they agree, get advice from cab or your local council office ask to see health / well fair officer before you ask dwp
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,548 Disability Gamechanger
    Based on your post your there’s been no change in the consequences of your medical conditions. In order to comment further we’d need to know more about your current award and why it was made bd at what level of points etc. Nothing in your post suggest any kind of change that would trigger a move from standard rate to enhanced of either component. 

You need to self assess using the many online resources out there. Identify which additional points you think you score and why and see if that would be enough. If not then that’s the end of the matter. If the increase is 4 or more points then you need face to face advice before you even contemplate contacting DWP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,919 Disability Gamechanger
    Reporting a change of circumstances is always risky. What you need to do before doing anything else is take a look at the PIP descriptors and see where you can score those points for a higher award. For this you'll need to know what you scored the last time. Reporting a change before your review means you could lose everything you already have. Sometimes it's better to wait until your review rather than risk this because they will send you new forms to fill in and return, like the first time. A risk i wouldn't be prepared to take. Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.