Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Esa backdated income related and premiums

Johnny303Johnny303 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi Ive just joined today  so thanks for having me in the site. I recieved a letter three weeks ago saying I could be entitled to backdated income related esa and premiums due to dwp's error in migrating people over from incapacity benefit to income based. I was migrated to contribution based which is inevitable that it was a mistake. I'm sure many people on here know Already and I'm sorry if it's a repeat of a similar thread as I couldn't find anything similar. To cut a long story short I filled in a form over the phone 2 weeks ago and I was told it had been passed on to the processing team. Has anyone had experiences of actually receiving any backdated money owed yet? And how long do it roughly take? I'm still waiting on my pip care component being reinstated which means I can't get my sda premiums at the moment either until that's done, as I was in respite for a while following time in Icu. They don't seem to hurry with these things but are quick enough to take any overpayment quickly. It's a disgrace they knew about this since 2013 but denied it until 2016 and only just started doing something about it. I knew I wasn't receiving the right amount and have questioned it alot in the past  especially why I was on contribution based when I hadn't worked for quite a while. I've moved back to my own flat now and am struggling to make ends meet until I have my other benefits reinstated. I'd be grateful if anyone who has had success getting any backdated income based and premiums could give me and idea how long it took. Thanks for listening  

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes, i've heard of people being awarded the premiums because of this very reason. However i do believe that they're only backdating them to October 2014. I have no idea how long it takes but it shouldn't be too long. Give them a ring when they open tomorrow and ask them how long, as they are the only ones that can tell you the answer to this. Hopefully not too long.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • shirleyannshirleyann Member Posts: 1 Listener
    hi im disabled but my doctors r so cruel i want an app. my axiety 
    nerves play me up im grieving also of the death of my 19yr.old grandaughter dying. i feel im cracking up i shake shout i feel so poorly mentally  any one have any ideas how to get help please  xxx
  • whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes they backdated mine. Sorry I can't actually recall how long it took though. 
    It was because they had failed to include the sdp. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @shirleyann Welcome to the forum, you might want to start your own stream so that your problem doesn't get lost in the other replies.  If you need help with bereavement Cruse runs a free helpline 0808 808 1677.  I assume you are trying  to phone through to get an appointment for your doctor? I know it can be difficult to get a GP appointment .  Do you have any other health care professionals who work with you such as  social workers ?  If you ever  need someone to chat to the Samaritans are there any time night or day phone  116 123
  • notlarcnotlarc Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone I have just joined. I am in receipt of employment support allowance work related. At my last interview in January they said that they would be in touch in February we are now in May and I havn't heared from them. I feel like a weight has been lifted as I found the pressure of it all overwhelming as I am not well.
    Does anyone know why they havnt contacted me?
    @notlarc Welcome to the forum it is better if you start your own thread so you don't get confused by answers directed to the original poster.  By interview I assume you mean a jobcentre  interview? The only way you will find out why they haven't contacted you is by calling them. Being in the WRA group just means that they can call you in for an interview to discuss ways of moving forward or helping you. There may not be any pattern to these interviews, you might get called up monthly or not hear from them for months . The only thing you have to worry about is making sure you attend any interview they ask you to attend not the frequency.
  • notlarcnotlarc Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou for your quick reply
  • Johnny303Johnny303 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I'll give them another ring, I just get put off being on hold for 45 mins to an hour when my anxiety is through the roof at the moment as I'm in constant pain due to chronic pancreatitis and have an anxiety disorder anyway so I find it hard talking on the phone. Thanks for replying anyway. 👍 
  • Bob677Bob677 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi when the story broke back in nov 2017 called the dwp as i was on con based esa was sent out a esa 3 form and whithin 2 weeks was put onto income related esa and now get the correct amount of edp and sdp so after six months have now got backdated money of over £10.000 paid into my bank account today but its only been backdated from oct 2014  but this is being appealed which the dwp will lose if you go onto rights net there's a forum about the migration from incap to esa very interesting as the dwp have known about this mess since 2013 good luck to you all 
  • justg72justg72 Member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    hi im disabled but my doctors r so cruel i want an app. my axiety 
    nerves play me up im grieving also of the death of my 19yr.old grandaughter dying. i feel im cracking up i shake shout i feel so poorly mentally  any one have any ideas how to get help please  xxx
    Hi Shirleyanne
    So sorry to here of your loss, I really feel for you,sounds like you going through hell at the moment. I would tell the receptionist at the DRs surgery that you need an emergency appointment because your grieving your grandaughter they should understand. Can any of your family or friends support you through this its no wonder you feel like you do grieving your grandaughter. Do you think bereavement counselling will help you? You could try contacting:
     Coping with Grief Directory heres the link https://www.counselling-directory.org.uk. Take care hope you get the support you need at this difficult timexx 

edited May 2018
    Bob677 said:
    Hi when the story broke back in nov 2017 called the dwp as i was on con based esa was sent out a esa 3 form and whithin 2 weeks was put onto income related esa and now get the correct amount of edp and sdp so after six months have now got backdated money of over £10.000 paid into my bank account today but its only been backdated from oct 2014  but this is being appealed which the dwp will lose if you go onto rights net there's a forum about the migration from incap to esa very interesting as the dwp have known about this mess since 2013 good luck to you all 
    Cheers for the info, yes I also found out that they weren't prepared to pay me back to then I was migrated to contribution based, which was July 2013. I questioned this with them yesterday and they also told me all payments were only eligible to be backdated from October 2014 and that the matter has been took to court. I got transferred to income based just after Christmas after years of telling them I was on the wrong benefit. It's a joke how they are using something called an "error in law" to try and get out of paying the whole amount. I hope they have to pay everyone effected the whole amount. I was also told I could be waiting up to 13 weeks for mine to be backdated as its still in processing, which is the' normal can't be bothered to really check' response. I'm still waiting on the care component of pip being reinstated after being in respite as it the advanced rate till 2020,i also can't reinstate sdp until that's done. I've just moved into a new flat and the stress of that is overwhelming plus I need to pay towards help a few hours a day but can't do that at the moment. I'm also wondering as I've payed for alot of prescriptions in the past due to contribution based, are they willing to reinburse me for them as I wasn't exempt until recently. They've made a huge **** up and they knew about it for a while. I really can't see them wrangling out of any more excuses. 
  • Weeme56Weeme56 Member Posts: 36 Courageous
    My neighbour came to me to get help putting in MR for PIP as was dowengraded. I noticed her ESA amounts had no premiums. Despite her previous DLA shoul;d have got her all the premiums. She split for her husband in 2012..he was her carer. She still had the letters of award from that time and she was getting premiums up until she clasimed as single Mum. she was getting SDP & Disability up till then. She phoned ESA & got told her money was right. Hhaha they don't nlnow who they are dealing with..I called and after 3 hours on hold got her claim looked at properly..hey presto I am right she should have been getting these premiums since 2012. This was not missed out because she went onto ESA..they dropped them off when she was on IS BEFORe she was moved onto ESA. now i wonder if she can get backdated right to 2012 as was NOT the ESA migration error? The DP alone is worth £1600 ay year alone now! Anyone heard of similar situation & how far it got backdated?
  • kath1234kath1234 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    My son was on incapacity benefit then went on the contribution support. I felt at the time this wasn't possible due to national insurance but stupidly trusted dwp new what they were doing. Since 2012 he's been struggling financially. To the point I've nearly had him back home to stop the misery. He knew nothing about sdp but has sent the form back a week ago. His anxiety again is through the roof again. He's still recovering after going through the pip assessment which he was awarded enhanced Dailey living. All this upheaval is so unnecessary. 
    He has been put in wrong group just like the 2 men who's case opened this can of worms by sound of it. ESA is on 2 parts and those in WAG do not get the £30 premium. regardlessif  they had it before on IS & DLA. now saying will be march 2019 before they contact everuyone affected by this error but don't be put off demand a review. are you his appointee. if not become his then you can talk for him.   I got neighbour  backdated SDP of £3600 last week. Was for 2102- 2013 only for when he D was at college. Had a right ding dong with DWP service center yesterday over the other premiums missing. They know **** about the older benefits. Turned out she too had been put into wrong group & into work activity group but was never told or had a medical for it! They told me she had one last year  which she has not - so they are commiting fraud as far as I'm concerned. Now they are insisting her daughters still lives with her as is still on voters roll and will not pay her the premiums for someonewho lives alone. Even the housing accept her daughter is away but on voters roll..why not DWP? Ther is no way to prove it FGS We found old letters that showed what she was on & DWP refute her words so we need to send copies to them now! Oh...I am not called Tenacious V for nothing.. they will not get away from me easy! :D
  • BrokenmanBrokenman Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Weemes post above just shows not only tenaciousness but also what a really good neighbour she/he is. There is far to little neighbourly love shown nowadays for the sick/infirm or disabled people and you are an exemplary example of how a neighbour should be. Well done,x
  • anth22anth22 Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Its great to see some people have got their enhanced disability premium  arrears :) ive been waiting 18 weeks now and i rang DWP again today and they have told me to contact Downing Street which i have as its them who are holding up payments from 2011.
    But our PM is out the country worrying about other countries and not her own people so i will just have to wait and see what happens and what Downing Street have to say about all this delaying.
    Found this Template letter you can send to DWP & find out if you were one of those pur in wrong group & lost the premiums as result. Worth firing it in..by recorded delivery I advise cos if they say they don't have it & you have a signature they can be brough to book for losing your info under ICO & Data Protection law!! Go for it folks. Even if you have to get someone else to print it off for you!    https://dwpexamination.org/forum/esa-how-to-guides-sample-letters/heres-how-you-can-find-out-if-the-government-owes-you-esa/
  • Macky47Macky47 Member Posts: 45 Connected
    I received letter from DWP last week stating I could be entitled to income related ESA, also backdated premiums. I am recieving con based ESA. I was migrated from incapacity benefit in 2013. They rang me 3 Sept & filled ESA 3 form in over the phone. They said this could take anywheee from 8-12 wks. But will they move me over to income based ESA, from con based ESA as quickly as possible. ???
  • butterfliesbutterflies Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Update and outcome on IB to ESA migration.

I was one of the people who was migrated from IB to CB ESA back in 2012.
    Fast forward to 2017 and I found that I had never been paid EDP even though I met all the criteria.
    I was told to ring the DWP and ask them one question....Please check your computer to see if I was ever sent an ESA3 form...their answer was NO.
    So they sent me the ESA3 and I put down the date of conversion(2012).

I received a payment backdated to 21 October 2014 and was told by the DWP they could not pay any arrears before this date due to a tribunal case(LH v SSWP....which bore absolutely no resemblance to the migration cases at all).

I asked for mandatory reconsideration which was denied citing (LH v SSWP).
    I used my Man Recon Letter as the Tribunal Appeal Letter.(April 2018) 
    DWP requested the Appeal be struck out as no chance of success,  the tribunal disagreed and Appeal was allowed.

CPAG's Martin Williams requested a Judical Review regarding the ESA Migration cases in June 2018.
    In August 2018 SSWP have agreed that the IB to CB ESA migration cases were DWP official error(they had known about this since 2013 as they had been paying all arrears back to migration date until a special team was put together to stop the payments back to date of conversion in November 2018).

I have just received a letter from the DWP this past week to let me know that the original decision not to pay backdated arrears before 21 October 2014 has now been revised in my favour.

My file has been returned to the Benefits Centre dealing with the original case to be processed for the 2years  ED Premiums still owed from 2012.

So any one who was migrated from IB to CB ESA and not awarded IR ESA and either/or EDP or SDP will be paid the arrears back to conversion but it's probably going to take quite some time to process all the claims.

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade
  • scraggsscraggs Member Posts: 38 Connected
    Hi there I have been on ESA contribution based since 2011 before that incapacity benefit ( ESA is support group due to me having primary progressive ms ) my question is they have called me for a ftf medical is this a ploy to stop my benefit and say I'm fit for work to avoid paying the money they may owe me ? Anyone else in this position ( got letter in June from DWP saying I'm in support group contribution based ??? Any ideas ? 
  • angel137angel137 Member Posts: 51 Courageous
    @scraggs

When was your last ESA review? It depends on what they put on the decision letter. Were you due to be reviewed at this time?  If not, then you can ask why they've brought the review forward. 
    Regarding possible arrears from ESA premiums, if you qualified for them up to now, then you are owed backdated benefits, regardless of future claims. 
    Also, if your condition has been long term and it is progressive, then perhaps you might ask to be placed in the "no need to be reviewed" category, as they are starting to do this for very long term claimants where there is little /no chance of improvement. Insist on it! Putting people like yourself through this, over and over again, is completely unnecessary. 
    As for your other comments,  unfortunately, I wouldn't put it past them! 
    If they do try to stop your benefit, you know you will win at MR stage or appeal. :)
    I had review about 4 years ago :-( I'm suffering panic attacks and depression seeing a counselor :-( this is all deteriorating my health :-( thankyou for your reply makes me feel a little better as trying to cope with all this alone :-( however sent a three page imaging of my brain MRI also a disc that you put in computer and still they badger me and I'm not coping very well with all the hassle of it all completely scared to go and face this medical :+( what part of I am I'll and not going to get better don't they understand !!! But if they stop my benefit and found fit for work I have not a clue how to fight it and not got to the strength to fight it :-( I think they are just trying to get out of paying what I should have been entitled to to be honest, just wish they would leave me alone :-( but thankyou with your reply its been helpful :-)
    But I had a letter from them dated in June saying I'm still in support group contribution based and then 4 weeks after got a ftf assessment ?? 
    Just told them of change of address ? Never been asked to go ftf ever :-(
    Hi,

They can re-assess you at anytime for ESA. As your last assessment was 4 years ago then that's 1 year over the time, so a re-assessment is due. They aren't trying to get out of paying you any backdated money owed. If they owe someone money because of this error then they will pay even if found fit for work.

You will need to fill out the form and return it with your evidence no later than the date stated on the letter.

As angel has said there's new rules out now for those in the Support Group, after this re-assessment it's possible that you'll be put into the no review group and will be awarded ESA indefinitely. Not everyone in the Support Group will be awarded this but it's certainly possible.

Good luck.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thankyou poppy its so terrible what disabled people have to endure :-( xx
    @scraggs

Bring someone with you for your face to face. A family member or a partner or a close friend, who knows how your condition(s) affect you, is best. 
    Go over your application and remind yourself of all the different categories on the ESA form b4 the f2f.
    It feels like they are badgering you because it is having a negative effect on your health -but this is a normal review. The same thing happened with me-my health worsened going through this.
    As I stated before, if you have been on long-term incapacity and then ESA support group, for years, and you are not going to improve, you should contact them and tell them that you should be in the "long term sick no need for review" category. It was put into place for people just like you.  Not sure when it comes into effect. About now, I think. Enquire about this. 
    You qualify for this and you will get it, even if you have to go to MR or appeal. If you haven't had to do this before, there's no reason to assume you'll have to do it this time. If you do need to do this in future, there are plenty of guides/ online websites that can take you through it, step by step.

Peace out ✌
    Thankyou feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel :-) had more advice on here than I have ever had from anyone XXX thankyou so much ( by the way I go to ftf on 26th sept ! Fingers crossed x just one question do you think I should write to DWP ESA dept and quote long term sick no need for review? 
    The severe conditions if they apply will be after this next assessment. You will need to fill in the form and return it but there's no harm in asking to be placed into the severe conditions group. I was always told, if you don't ask you don't get.

The ESA50 form comes straight from the health assessment providers and not DWP, likewise when you return it, it's sent straight back to them and not DWP.

scraggs said:
    ( by the way I go to ftf on 26th sept !
    You've already filled in and returned the form?
    Yes I have :-(
    But still they not satisfied sent scan images also computer disc of my brain scans :-( 
    Sometimes it happens this way when they can't make a recommendation based on the evidence and information in the form. Good luck.
    @poppy123456

Thanks for that link regarding "Severe conditions" criteria on the DR website. Very useful. It makes for interesting reading. According to the new criteria, you do not have to be placed in the "severe conditions" group to get a result of no further assessments, if you have a long-term illness that means you are unlikely to be able to work in the long term.  The HCP can state "no need for an assessment" for the forseeable future, from a paper based review. So you may still have to go through part of the process but may not have to have any more f2f assessments. But it looks like you will have to do the initial WCA and go through the process before being put into that group....?

Whereas, if placed in the severe conditions category of ESA, with limited capability of work related activity,  you could be put on ESA Support for life. 

That's how I've interpreted it. Don't quote me. I will need to read it quite a few times to really absorb it! 😇
    For re-assessments to be turned off then you need a recommendation to be placed into the severe conditions group. You can have either a face 2 face assessment or paper based assessment for this to happen. Remember the assessment report sent to the DWP is only a recommendation for the decision maker.

LCWRA is Universal credit equivalent of  ESA Support Group.
    How do you get a recommendation to be placed in severe conditions? Doctor? 
    Not by a GP no. By satisfying the conditions for the criteria stated here. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/october/guidance-work-capability-assessment-reassessment-published

You will know when a decision is made and you've received the award letter, it will state it in there.

Thankyou so much I feel I fit into these criteria just have to wait until my assessment is over :-) will let you know how it goes once again thankyou xx
  • jamie86jamie86 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I’ve just found about this from my mum how do I know if I can backdated I am on ESA any help would be nice thank you 
    jamie86 said:
    Hi I’ve just found about this from my mum how do I know if I can backdated I am on ESA any help would be nice thank you 
    If you transferred from Incapacity benefit then any income related top up will totally depend on your circumstances and any savings/capital you have.
    Hi I have had to endure a ftf medical assessment :-( however I have been awarded contribution based ESA support group as before I have just telephoned DWP as my award never informed me how long the award was ? They have told me 3 yrs!! I was on the understanding that the government on people who are not going to get better is that they do not get to go for or be assessed if they fit the criteria ? Poppy I believe gave me the link above,but I have not been put in this to not be assessed again ( secondary progressive ms ) I'm near going to get better so why do I have to endure another ftf assesment in 3 yrs?? Tired of it all I really am trying or being forced to justify myself and controlled by DWP not allowing me to live a normal as life that I should be living :-( can anyone give any advice as how I can put to DWP to change it to the chronic conditions so as I don't have to endure this again any help gratefully appreciated x also asked them about if I had been put in right group since migrating over from icb to ESA contribution support group rather confused as I've not been able to work so a little confused why I'm in contribution ESA  about backpayments they just said if we owe it you will be contacted !! ( I'm still on contribution based with new award ) :-(
    I'd advise you to get further advice from your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre about the severe conditions group.

Being entitled to an Income Related top up on your ESA will depend on your circumstances. Living with a partner that works, household income, savings/capital etc. DWP will contact those that transferred from IB but there's most likely a backlog and you will be contacted sometime in the future.
  • herbie1986herbie1986 Member Posts: 26 Connected
    Johnny303 said:
    Hi Ive just joined today  so thanks for having me in the site. I recieved a letter three weeks ago saying I could be entitled to backdated income related esa and premiums due to dwp's error in migrating people over from incapacity benefit to income based. I was migrated to contribution based which is inevitable that it was a mistake. I'm sure many people on here know Already and I'm sorry if it's a repeat of a similar thread as I couldn't find anything similar. To cut a long story short I filled in a form over the phone 2 weeks ago and I was told it had been passed on to the processing team. Has anyone had experiences of actually receiving any backdated money owed yet? And how long do it roughly take? I'm still waiting on my pip care component being reinstated which means I can't get my sda premiums at the moment either until that's done, as I was in respite for a while following time in Icu. They don't seem to hurry with these things but are quick enough to take any overpayment quickly. It's a disgrace they knew about this since 2013 but denied it until 2016 and only just started doing something about it. I knew I wasn't receiving the right amount and have questioned it alot in the past  especially why I was on contribution based when I hadn't worked for quite a while. I've moved back to my own flat now and am struggling to make ends meet until I have my other benefits reinstated. I'd be grateful if anyone who has had success getting any backdated income based and premiums could give me and idea how long it took. Thanks for listening  
    I have read on social media one person had £8000
    Some are owed as much as £20,000 if they should have been claiming both premiums for the past 7 years.
    Been paid £12000 this year going back now to August 2011 
  • Deanno84Deanno84 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Bob677 said:
    Been paid £12000 this year going back now to August 2011 
    How long did it take from sending the form back to getting your backdated money ?
    6 months first payment then 9 months second payment 
    Hi there I am still confused if I am entitled to this backdated money? I was transfered from incapacity benefit in 2011 to ESA contribution based ESA support group, I do have a husband who me was claiming carers allowance at time for me I've just had my ftf assessment and been still put in contribution based ESA ? I have not worked to pay stamp so rather confused as why contribution based ? Is it because husband works ? But didn't for many years as he was my carer ? We had no income in 2011 I have never had free dentist prescriptions or glasses :-( I just can't get my head around the ESA backdated premiums and as to whether I would be owed any ? Also I am on DLA middle care should they be paying me a premium ? Very confused :-( any info would be gratefully received x
    @scraggs Everyone that was transferred from IB to ESA was placed onto contributions based ESA, whether you previously worked or not. What DWP failed to do was assess people to see if they were entitled to an Income Related top up. Income Related top ups are means tested and receiving this will depend on household income, savings and capital.

When your husband wasn't working were you claiming ESA as a couple? If you weren't what other benefits besides the carers allowance was he claiming?

The extra premium you're talking about that is paid alongside a DLA/PIP award is called the severe disability premium. Unless your husband claims a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you won't be entitled to this premium. It's also not paid if someone is claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

DWP will eventually contact you, if they haven't already. When they do, you'll need to fill out the form with all your details, including your husbands and if you're owe any money you'll receive it. If he's working at the moment then you won't be entitled to Income related top up from the time he worked.
    Hi poppy at the time hubby had carers allowance I had ESA cb income support of £3.15p also received DLA middle care and high rate mobility nothing else 
    No don't think it was couples ESA just me ?
    ESA CB Income support doesn't make any sense. When your husband was claiming carers allowance how much ESA were you receiving per week?
    Think at the time it was 99 pounds a week then received 3.15p a week income support the ESA now is 220 I think approx 
    Every two weeks that is I think the ESA contribution is 110 a week don't know without looking into bank 
    This is why I'm very confused about it all :-(
    If you've been contacted all you can do is fill out the form with all the information and evidence it asks you for and wait for DWP to assess you.

If you haven't been contacted then you need to wait for them to do this. They are in the process of contacting everyone that transferred from IB. It's impossible to advise further on an internet forum.
    Thankyou poppy 
    No problem.
  • worried33worried33 Member Posts: 399 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    Hi guys.  Seems I am late in the process, I got my letter about 4 weeks ago, I originally thought it was just a reassessment of my eligibility for IR topups, as I got an appointment letter for a F2F the same week, as I am already in the reassessment process for ESA itself.

My history is this.

I was previously on IB (contributions based).  Was migrated to ESA in 2012, and put straight on contribution based WRAG although moved to SG after successful reconsideration request (very surprised as it was just a 2 line request on the appeal form with no further evidence, then week later got SG award letter) and every WCA since then has kept me in SG, was never ever sent an ESA3 voluntarily by the DWP.  I originally didnt think anything of it as the base levels of money between CB and IR based ESA are very similar, I did not know originally IR based ESA granted EDP.  Then in 2016 I took part in some discussion on CAG and it was interesting, some people when put in SG on CB based ESA were getting ESA 3's to fill out whilst others were not, it seemed to depend on what area you was in.  This is when I found out you could get IR topup's on top of CB based ESA and get the EDP payments.  So I rang the DWP and requested an ESA3 form which they sent me, I filled it in and a month or so later my payments went up, it was backdated only to the date of the form and no conversation ever took place about backdating it to 2012.  So since mid 2016 I have been on IR topup payments.

The letter I got last month stated I have been underpaid between 2012 and 2016 and had another ESA3 form to fill in, but I initially put it as low priority as I thought I was just been reassessed, it was only when I went to fill it out I noticed the dates they put on it.  I thought it was very strange why would the DWP voluntarily contact me to pay me money they owe, so then I googled it and found about everything that is going on.  I ended up having them do the form for me over the phone, sadly tho my case is not as simple as it could be, I didnt want to lie to them so they were informed my bank balance was over £5500 for a period of just 6 weeks in the 4 year period, this small 6 weeks period meant they wanted bank statements for the entire 4 year period.  The reason was I had a backdated DLA 2 year payment following a tribunal case I won.  The statements have now been sent but I guess it means processing time will be higher, was really hoping it would be a quick process and I would have the money by christmas but it looks like people are having to wait several months for their money?

I know now backdating is now all the way as the DWP backed down with an impeding JR court case coming up so thats good news at least.

To me its clearly an error DWP side, due to the fact some people were getting ESA 3's, it simply looks like some departments were not kept up to speed on the process to be followed for CB claimants.
  • C_Herath2009C_Herath2009 Member Posts: 26 Listener
    I can't make head nor tail off what group i am in?I am a single parent to a 9 year old living with my Parents as i can no longer look after myself let alone my child-i have had a Brain Injury-Epilepsy(List is to long and boring ..)But i get full PIP?(As in Full Mobility and full for Care my Parents are to old to Claim carers -would be removed from my ESA and TAXED?🤪Figure that one out i get Severe Disability Premium ?So what does it mean what group am i in at the moment until someone fills out this Mission Impossible (Capability to Work Form?)That greated me on Wednesday and made me cry and why have they upgraded
     to white Envelopes at least before you could prepare yourself for impending doom with a Brown Envelope?Do the white ones cost more i wonder and are they good for the enviroment they sure are not good for my Health i had to go straight to the Dr's in tears on crutches..To be handed yet another blood test form -Some kind off Christmas this looks set to be!!
    edited November 2018
    @C_Herath2009 Your PIP award doesn't determine what group you're in for ESA, it's totally different. There's 2 groups for ESA WRAG and Support Group. Contributions based, which isn't means tested  and Income related which is means tested. If you're in the Support Group in Income related then it's £127.15 per week. Contributions based Support Group is £110.75 per week. WRAG is slightly less per week.

The severe disability premium is only paid on top of your ESA if you live alone, or your classed as living alone. As you live with your parents then they would need to be claiming a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or AA for you to qualify for the SDP. If they don't have either of these awards then you won't be able to claim the severe disability premium.

I realise how stressful these work capability assessments are, having very recently been through the same thing myself. They can re-assess you at anytime unless you're placed into the severe conditions group (Certain people in the Support Group only) Not everyone will qualify for the severe conditions group. If you do get placed into this group after this next re-assessment then it will tell you on the decision letter when you finally receive it. Being placed into this group will mean future assessments will be turned off and you'll remain in the Support Group for as long as you're claiming ESA for.

Please get some help filling out that form and remember to put as much information down as possible about how your conditions affect you. Send any relevant evidence you have with your forms. You need to make sure it's returned back no later than the date stated on the letter. Failure to do this could mean your ESA will stop for failing to return the form. There's no extensions of time for returning the form for ESA.

ESA50 work capability forms always come in a white envelope because they're sent straight from the health assessment advisory centre and not from DWP.

Good luck.
    I preferred the brown envelopes simply because I would never miss it, with my post, brown envelopes are opened right away, white are put aside as they usually statements or bills or junk mail.  ESA50/IB50 were not always white envelopes, but I cannot remember when it changed.

Also I know the feeling myself on WCA, I had one myself only 2 weeks ago.  So I am currently stressed myself not knowing the outcome of this WCA, I am more nervous than usual as its my first one with maximus instead of ATOS.
    🙇‍♀️🤦‍♀️More confused its me thats ill not them-although they will be at this rate i get Severe Disability Premium they know i live with my Parents as i have to i am constantly falling over dropping things (They have to remind me to take my medication let alone what day or time it is I have just found out i get income related ESA?(I had to look it up?)What is SWAG?I thought SWAG was stollen cash??
    Opps sorry WRAG?please dont explain i feel like i am going round backwards on my head
    @C_Herath2009 It does seen like you are confused. The benefit system is very confusing for a lot of people.  The severe disability premium is not paid unless you satisfy the conditions i stated above, it has nothing to do with your conditions, it's about living alone or being classed as living alone.
    worried33 said:
    I preferred the brown envelopes simply because I would never miss it, with my post, brown envelopes are opened right away, white are put aside as they usually statements or bills or junk mail.  ESA50/IB50 were not always white envelopes, but I cannot remember when it changed.

Also I know the feeling myself on WCA, I had one myself only 2 weeks ago.  So I am currently stressed myself not knowing the outcome of this WCA, I am more nervous than usual as its my first one with maximus instead of ATOS.
    I've been claiming ESA for 6 years and for me they've always come in white envelopes. I did actually forget about this though and was surprised myself when i received my ESA50 form back in August of this year. ESA is the most stressful for me, i must admit.

As you've had your WCA then you can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. I did this myself last week and received it 2 days later. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report. My decision arrived 2 days ago and they went with the report. Good luck with yours and hopefully it won't be too long for a decision.
    This has been the longest one for me from date I got the form, I got the form I think early autumn 2018.  F2F booked for nov, then deffered for recording, rebooked for Feb 2019, then they cancelled apparently because the waiting room was too packed, I never expected at that point to be waiting another 8 months, all the way until Nov 2018, and then they tried to cancel again, anxiety was coming out of every hole in my body at this point, I refused and had the assessment.  But if I am found fit for work I am going to feel like an idiot for making them go ahead.  For this reason I am not overly keen on ringing them, but at the same time I just want to know so I can stop thinking about it, so I may give them a ring tomorrow thanks.

It is a similar thing but to a much lower extent with the waiting times for these ESA3 forms, I dont know why people are been made to wait so long, other than the DWP doing it just because they can.
    The ESA3 forms is a totally different thing to a WCA reassessment. Those forms are being sent because of the underpayment when those transferred from IB to ESA. It can take 12 weeks or more to be assessed for the income related top up. Some people have had decisions on this in about 1 month from returning the forms, others not as quick. Depends on circumstances most likely.
  • BillyMacBillyMac Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi I'm new to the forum and after reading previous posts I'm as confused as ever regarding these ESA back payments.
     I had a major stroke in 2006 two years after a serious accident at work that assessor said contributed towards the stroke and awarded me 50% of full rate Industrial Injuries Benefit, after my sick pay from my employer ran out I started to claim benefits. I'm on DLA high rate mobility,middle rate care and although my GP insists I should be on high rate care I've never pushed it ,not wanting to rock the boat after some of the horror stories I've heard when folks have been reassessed..
    i was on IB and migrated to Cont ESA in 2011 although the ESA 3 form I received 2 weeks ago said 2013.
    My wife quit work to be my full time carer after my stroke and gets CA.
    So to recap I am in receipt of 
    DLA High Rate Mobility 
    DLA Middle Rate Care
    Cont ESA
    IIDB at 50% of full rate.
    and I also have a small Occupational Pension of around £20 per week.
    My wife gets CA only 
    After I sent ESA3 back I got a phone call to confirm my OP payment and asking if I had any savings.
    When I asked why I had been sent the form I was told I was being reassessed for my ESA payment,no mention of any possible underpayment and it would take 12 weeks to complete.
    The ESA3 was first I'd heard of any problems with underpayment ( if any in my case) with migration from IB to ESA.
    If I'm entitled to a sum of money I'll get it if not I won't it's as simple as that and I won't ruin my Christmas stressing over it .
    After my stroke I'm just glad to be here and see my grandkids grow up as it was touch and go for three days afterwards.
    My advice to everyone is don't stress over maybes what ifs etc.
    Que Sera Sera

I gave them a ring, and they told me the statements havent even been logged on the system yet, since I cannot remember if I included the letter/slip with it meaning potentially the envelope just has the statements but nothing identifying who they for, I asked for another envelope so I can send them again.  But wow the DWP are slow, I forgot how slow they are, as I havent had to send anything to them for several years now.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @BillyMac, and thanks for sharing this with us. I hope you find being part of the community helpful!
  • BillyMacBillyMac Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Welcome to the community @BillyMac, and thanks for sharing this with us. I hope you find being part of the community helpful!
    Thank you for the welcome ,I'm just finding my way around the forum ,I'm sure it will be of help with any questions I may have on benefits, as I said in first post I'm one of those that accepts what I get in benefits . More of a fear like many others of rocking the boat and risking losing all or part of what I already have to be honest.That may be wrong thing to do, I really don't know but if I see anything on here that I may think I will or have been entitled too I will be sure to find out what forms I need to get to make a claim.
    I can barely believe I have been claiming benefits for 12 years now.
    My experience over that period tells me that DWP staff are poorly trained and the system requires a complete overhaul.
  • starbuckstarbuck Member Posts: 144 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    We've just had to fill in one of these forms for my husband. We cannot make head nor tail of the whole thing. Will he be entitiled to disability premiums? At present he gets £110.75 a week and he's on contributions based esa. I'm paid carers allowance for looking after him and we also receive Income Support as a top up. 
    Which premiums would he be eligible for? I've looked at the gov.uk site and it's really confusing. 
    I'm worried in case he's eligible for a large backpayment (which does sound crazy I know!) as I've read that you have to spend the money within a year. I have no idea how we would get rid of a large sum of money in that time as we're not big spenders. 
    My husband says I'm worrying unnecessarily as we don't know if we will even receive a backpayment. I don't understand why people aren't given the equivalent time of the backpayment to spend any money owing to them iyswim. 
    edited November 2018
    @starbuck as you're claiming Income Support then this will counted as income £1 for £1 when claiming any Income Related top up on his ESA. Whether he's entitled to any backdated money will depend how long you've claimed Income support for and whether you worker previously to claiming that.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    If you do receive a lump sum then it should be disregarded for a year. Then if you still have savings in excess of £6000 it will impact on the IR element
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • starbuckstarbuck Member Posts: 144 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    I haven't worked since he became disabled as I'm his full time carer. I've claimed Income Support for just over a year. 
    They will contact him when a decision's been made and it can take 12 weeks.
    Johnny303 said:

Hi just to update as Ive been very ill in hospital,I finally was awarded 4,200 backdated and also 900 esa,everything is eventually sorted and I'm recieving all my high amounts of mobility and care too,sorry I couldnt reply earlier and thanks for all comments regarding this
    Hi just a query I left UK to live in France in 2012 I was receiving ESA contribution support group and DLA middle care and high mobility I was allowed to keep ESA also DLA care but mobility was not exportable so could not receive this however I am.now back living in UK told them of my move back and went to ftf for ESA September 2018 and awarded ESA contribution based lwca also been awarded DLA middle care but not been awarded mobility that I had to give up due to move abroad not because I was not entitled is it worth me asking for mobility back ? I have secondary progressive ms ) I was awarded ongoing award of DLA middle care rate in June 2018 I thought everyone has to go onto pip ? But I was told by cab that I have to be in country two years before I can claim pip ? That means I am missing out on my mobility award and due to my ms have great difficulty getting to appt etc any help or advice would be gratefully received 
    poppy I got the ESA85 today and it recommends LCWRA but no prognosis date on it.

I didnt hit any SG descriptors but was recommended anyway, I am unhappy with a few things in the report tho and wish I never read it now.

When I get more envelopes which I am still waiting for I will resend my statements for the backdated ESA money as when I rang the DWP they say they havent been scanned into the system so no evidence of them arriving.
    They usually go with the report. For the length of time does is say recommend re-assessment in the short or medium term?

Seems like it could have been reg 35?
  • misscraftmisscraft Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi everyone . I was called now good 18 months back .looks like I was put on  contribute esa and should been put on  premium  Basted . They send me a form and I was little worried always do with forms I think the worsed even though I shouldn’t . Anyway It tuck me  awhile  To fill it in because I was worried about it . Send it off been 12 weeks next week not Hurd anything .ask for my income 3-4 weeks back that’s it . I seen can be  backdated from 2011 to 2014 .I only ever had esa and pip was dla till it changed over to pip I get high for both on pip . I was on  incapacity then changed in 2011to esa they asked for everything from 2011 . Anyway it’s been nearly 12 weeks and not Hurd anything should I ring them to see any updates or leave it because there so busy . I just be happy to still get what I get anything else is a bonus but part of one of my illness is worrying and Then it sets the others off and I not been able to sleep for 3 weeks been very poorly for a month had a increase in meds .would be nice to  have this sorted it’s kind of stressful and it’s Christmas just want it over with now so I can relax . Thanks 
    @misscraft you can try ringing but there's not really any timescales. The 12 weeks is just a guide.
    Thank you poppy . If I don’t here anything by the end of next week I will give them a call. When they rang me for some more info and I had to send little bit more info they did say the dead line for my claim is to be done By the 12th .because I was late sending my form back they let it slide due to medical reason and will be done before Christmas so I mite here something soon fingers crossed x 
    edited December 2018
    to poppy and others.

My case has turned into a nightmare, I am shaking right now.

So I sent my statements on the 15 November, which is now almost a month ago, and these have not been logged onto the system, notes keep been added "waiting for evidence" but noone has contacted me, yet I have rang them three times to check if they arrived.  I sent a second copy first class last week, and those are not there either.

They refuse to give me an email address to send electronically (yet they did this for someone else).
    They refuse to let me speak to the processing office, and instead if I am lucky I will get a call back within 2 days.

The lady on the phone at one point even was trying to suggest to me I just wait the full 12 weeks and if I dont hear anything it means they "probably" have the statement, until I pointed out they would probably just keep adding on my notes "waiting for evidence" and I would be non the wiser.

I have tried to ring up benefit advice lines for my area, but noone is answering.  So I dont know what the best thing to do now in terms of getting this escalated, I dont think I should just wait and hope they somehow find my valuable documents which they appear to have lost.

Also on the ESA85 it said medium term, I have no idea what medium term is, so would appreciate advice on that, not in the mood to ring and ask after the call about my statements.  Also the decision got made for SG as well now, I got that letter yesterday but of course no date on it.
    edited December 2018
    Worried .... I rang to day but it’s a different number to the standard esa number or benefits number they told me the same still waiting for the information they asked for 4 weeks back I said I send it she said well they not got it and i said who’s they she said it’s a different department who deals with this and give me the number if you want it I can wright it down and give it to you . Anyway I rang them they said the same about the rest of the information we needed I said yes it’s been sent weeks ago she said oh yes we got it it’s now in  processing  From 2 weeks ago will 
    take anther 10 weeks due to the added information we needed . if I didn’t ring this department I would have though they not got what I sent weeks ago and just gone by what the First Lady told me been now 3 half months nearly 4 so be nearly 6 month in 10
    weeks time o been waiting .am goin to ring back tomorrow just to check they have got everything they need x 
    Yes please give me the number, they are refusing to give me ways to contact them directly, I really appreciate it thank you.
    @worried33 Not sure what to advise on the IB to ESA issue, i'm afraid. Did you put your NI number on everything you sent?

As for the assessment for the ESA, have you had the decision yet or just the assessment report? There's no length of time as such for ESA because they can re-assess you at anytime. The decision letters never have a length of time on them. Once a decision is made, you'll be able to ring ESA and they'll tell you the length of time, but do be aware that they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.
    Poppy yes the NI was put on every sheet, and was very hard for me to do as over 100 sheets of paper for the statements.  I was hoping you would know what the auto review date is set as you asked if it said medium term and it does say medium term.  I got the SG decision letter yesterday.
    I have no idea what medium term is, sorry. My assessment report also said medium term, my decision letter didn't state any length of time because they never do. Like i said they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months and a length of time doesn't really mean anything for ESA because some go over, and others are contacted long before.

I never ring to ask what length of time because it's pointless. I'm not going to spend my future time worrying when i'll be contacted. For me my assessment is done for now, i've remained in the Support Group. Time to forget about it until the next one comes through the door.
    Worried.. I think your doin a esa claim is that right .if so am on about the  premium . Mine was a little book asking for information from 2011 it’s because am on  contribute basted and I get  enhance  Pip so I shouldn’t been on contribute bast esa They never    Assessed Me I never had to do another form from 2011 because my disability .  if this is the same thing your doin then I can give you
    the number to ring them  directly  
    Yes it is about the premium, please give me the number I badly need it, thank you.
    no need for the number now, they finally confirmed they got the statements.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to me, I will try to help others as well.
    Glad they got everything hopefully soon be sorted . X 
    @worried33
    My advice would be whatever you send, any statements, your MR info . anything that's very important, I always send them "signed for". I know it's not always easy but that's the best thing to do to get proof of sending and proof of receipt. :) 
    Thats what I did when I sent the second batch.  Thanks.
    edited January 2019
    Seems when I Was told they sent to processing in DEC I was lied to or the process took an entire month.

The new story I got told now is they werent even passed onto processing until 9th January and as a result my 3 month waiting period ends in April. "Five months" After I got the letter, 12 weeks? dont make me laugh.

I just got off the phone to my MP who agrees  I shouldnt suffer because it took them a month to pass the paperwork over, so she is now writing to the DWP for the 3 month wait to be reduced to 2 months as compensation for the month delay.

To make this even more of a joke, if I didnt complain to the DWP in December it may not have even got done on the 9th January, as the person who processed my complaint told me they intervened during the second week of January.
    I was waiting 19 weeks altogether I Hurd something last week I been back dated a lot more then I could even think off it was worth the wait but the waiting  and my mental heath was a struggle it was meant to been done by the 4th Dec and was only juSt sorted last week but it’s sorted now and the waiting is over . Hope you here something soon worried 
Sign in or join us to comment.