Assessors reports for PIP claims — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessors reports for PIP claims

Marcia54
Marcia54 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Recieved a copy of the assessors report today, i was absolutely shocked at the discrepencies in the report. Anyone else found the same in their reports?

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Happens all the time, unfortunately.   If necessary you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration and then appeal if MR doesn't succeed. 71% of appeals win.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Marcia54,

It's terrible, but it is extremely common. Assuming you are not happy with the decision, the thing to concentrate on is what points you should have got and why. As Mike says, don't focus too much on the errors in the report - what's more important is to talk about the evidence you have (including lived experience) which shows that points should have been awarded. 

You can take the PIP self test here, which helps you to see what points you should have got. 

You can complain about the report separately (to ATOS or Capita), and it can be worth contacting your MP too. But the main thing is usually to challenge the actual PIP decision and get the right result. Start with the MR, explain what you should have got, and explain what evidence supports that results. If you do need to go to an appeal, you can also talk about why the assessor's report isn't good evidence, but there is very little point complaining about the report at MR or appeal - tribunals know that they are generally of very poor quality.

Good luck with getting the right decision on your PIP award.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• LynneR
    LynneR Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    Completely agree it could go against you if you rely on the Tribunal taking the liescinto consideration. Unfortunately they make the hoops and we have to jump through them their way.  
  • LynneR
    LynneR Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    One important thing to be aware of is that an MR can take away the points you have been awarded
  • Matilda
    Most MRs make no change one way or the other.

Tribunals are only interested in what you can and can't do.  My tribunal gave me a grilling but in the end they allowed my appeal.
  • GoForIt
    GoForIt Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    At my f2f I again was extremely shocked at the utter nonsense and lies that were reported from the assessor.. I made a complaint and I advise everyone in this position to do the same.Its disgusting that Tax payers money is wasted in such a way.  Leading people with illnesses and disabilities along the tribunal route, again a complete waste of resources. And a stressful procedure to face. If this government is trying to save money by having stricter rules how can they justify the wasted money on these corrupt assessments companies making money on the back of vulnerable people,half of tribunal rule in favour of the claimant,so surely this proves the waste of time using these companies, also I was told the company that completed my assessment, do not employ Doctors??  How can these people be qualified to disregard medical evidence from a bona fide doctor??? It all beats me !!
  • Matilda
    71% of tribunals win.  Yes, the system is barking and the government has its head up its jumper.  At least we know that a tribunal is likely to succeed.
  • GoForIt
    They can't do that if they are lying about what was said and put false information on thier report??  I'm not the only one saying this, so why, if there findings are correct, do so many people win on appeal? Whereby independent , sensible people with no hidden agenda, rule in favour of the claimant?
  • GoForIt
    Please just note ASOS who were the medical assessment company who was shown in a documentary to have bad practice,have now changed their name and still completing PIP assessments ??
  • Susan3696
    Susan3696 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi all. I had my pip assessment, and couldn't wait to get out of there. I was in a lot of pain and I felt like I was in a police station being questioned, it also brought some bad child hood memory's back, which left me feeling like self harming and suicidal.  I tried for a mandatory reconsideration but was refused that as well. I suffer with RA and have presently had to have two operations for septic arthritis. The whole assessment is a waste of time and money and is extremely stressful. I don't no if mentally I could cope with going through an appeal.  Good luck to thoughts who complain about the assessees, this type of thing should not be allowed. Disabled people have enough to cope with. Our government should be ashamed of themselves.
  • GoForIt
    Just an update, sent my reconcideration last week, will loose my blue badge this week. Just tried to telephone pip, was in the phone for 86 mins, with that pre recorded music!! No answer, so I gave up. What is going on.?? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this with us @Susan3696- the appeals process can feel so difficult and overwhelming, and I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering. 

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

Please do keep us updated and we'll assist wherever we can. 

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh no @pissedofffromhants- it's impressive that you endured that hold music for 86 minutes! Really hope you manage to get in contact soon. 
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Just an update, sent my reconcideration last week, will loose my blue badge this week. Just tried to telephone pip, was in the phone for 86 mins, with that pre recorded music!! No answer, so I gave up. What is going on.?? 
    You may still be able to keep or renew your Blue badge.  I was refused PIP, after being on DLA for 13 years. I am in the process of appealing to tribunal and my Blue badge is due for renewal. After getting advice from this great forum @ Scope, I applied to my local council and I've got an appointment to get it renewed. Good luck with your MR but as with mine, I was still turned down. Fight for your rights and keep going. :)
  • GoForIt
    Thanks cazanne ,I have an assessment appointment for my blue badge mid August.x
  • GoForIt
    Oh no @pissedofffromhants- it's impressive that you endured that hold music for 86 minutes! Really hope you manage to get in contact soon. 
    Please could you pass this petion on for members to sign 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Couldn’t possibly sign that. I do wish people would think these things through. DWP ran AA and DLA assessments from 1992. Reverting would be a marginal improvement at best. The real issues lie elsewhere in my personal view.
    As I have said on another thread that had this petition on - I see that the problems lie mainly with the claimant when completing the claim form and the type/quality of evidence being sent in.
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    This is a common issue on here. My son’s first ever assessment report was full of inaccuracies. I was shocked when I viewed the assessment report. I included a lot of information on his disability. When completing the form I talked about Logan’s therapy sessions and medical appointments too. I also mentioned that he uses a wheelchair for public places and long distances as well for his mobility issues. I also wrote a paragraph about his braces and orthopedic shoes too. I made a copy of the assessment report and I decided to try contesting the decision made. Those decision makers do not know my son at all. The assessment report contained a shocking number of lies about him. 
  • GoForIt
    please sign enough is enough. Need 10000 signitures.x
  • GoForIt
    Forward to others that are disgusted by this, your son is not the only one.. disgusting!! 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.