PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

PIP POINTS

LuggahLuggah Member Posts: 18 Listener
Hi, good evening.

Does anyone know how pip points are calculated.  Eg can points be added up for preparing food. Like 4 for using aids and then add 3 for having supervision

Ddd

Replies

• Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Member Posts: 851 Pioneering
    Hiya it's only one set of points from each descriptor only.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election video for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • LuggahLuggah Member Posts: 18 Listener
    Thank you, was asking as read somewhere they can be added.  Bit confusing.
    Ddd
  • CazannCazann Member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Luggah said:
    Hi, good evening.

Does anyone know how pip points are calculated.  Eg can points be added up for preparing food. Like 4 for using aids and then add 3 for having supervision

I don't think you can do it that way. I thought the same when I was adding my points up. Preparing Food; It is 2 for using aids and 4 for needing supervision. So you would have 4 points. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Good Luck.
    Think it's correct, but wanted to double check. 
    Ddd
    Thanks for help everyone :)
    Ddd
    Goings for mandatory reconsideration.. it's really tough, don't know where to get advice. Citizen ad vice refuse as only help with appeals
    Ddd
    @Luggah okay let's explain this a little better. So if you look at this as an example. You use aids to help you aids or appliance and can't use them you would score 2. Then you say you cannot use as microwave or cooker again 2.
    Then you need prompting again 2.

So im theory you would add all these above you would have 6 points. But if you then need supervision or assistance that would give you 4 points.

And then you don't get points from 1 f if you don't fit within this (Cannot prepare and cook food. 8 points.)

But if you fit in this (need supervision or assistance) this is your highest scoring descriptor.. So therefore you will only get the 4points for 1 e even though you scored in the above. You would only score one set of point, I hope this makes sense to you.

Preparing food. 
    1 a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided. 0 points
    1 b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points
    1 c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. 2 points
    1 d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points
    1 e. Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points.
    1 f. Cannot prepare and cook food. 8 points.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now. 

Luggah said:
    Goings for mandatory reconsideration.. it's really tough, don't know where to get advice. Citizen ad vice refuse as only help with appeals
    I went to CAB and was given a Mandatory Reconsideration letter to send in and was told that they usually turn you down anyway. Which they did, so I'm now appealing to a tribunal but haven't got a date yet. I don't think that I'll hear from them for months, as they are snowed under with appeals. So don't be too disheartened if you are turned down at the Mandertory Reconsideration stage. Have you claimed DLA before, or is PIP your first claim?
    Good luck with it.
    edited July 2018
    Was on indefinite DLA before,  I now understand how points system work, cheers guys.  It is stressful
    Ddd
    Hi Luggah

I too was on DLA for 13 years and last year I had to apply for PIP. I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees and lower spine. Since I was awarded DLA (higher rate imobility, indefinitely) I was diagnosed with HNPP.  The problem is many doctors haven't even heard of it. It's an heredatory neuropothy with  pressure palsy that affects my nerves and muscles and it has made my osteoarthritis far worse than before. The assessor only gave me 4 points and put down things that I hadn't said and didn't include things that I had told her. It was very upsetting to read her report but when I went on this site and read what others had said about thier face to face meetings, it seems that I'm not the only one.
    What is your disability Luggah?
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,334 Disability Gamechanger
    Whilst you can only score one set of points from each descriptor everyone has missed a crucial point. If you take @Governments_A_Joke example. Let’s say you struggle with 1b but don’t score points because you only need to use an aid 30% of the time. However, sometimes you need help from another person but don’t score under 1e because you only need that help 25% of the time. You can add both percentages (NOT the points) up and that takes you to needing some help over 50% of the time. You then score the higher if the 2 i.e. the 4 points. 

Unfortunately the HCP software doesn’t allow for this and also doesn’t take account of CPIP/2054/2015, which says that a claimant can satisfy PIP descriptors if they only apply for part of the day. Thus in 4 years I’ve yet to see this applied and have only read of colleagues being able to push this through as an argument. 
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    You choose the highest descriptor that applies in that category.

For example, using aids to prepare food is one descriptor, 2 points, and needing someone to help prepare food is a different descriptor, 4 points.I claimed 4, DWP awarded 2, tribunal awarded 4.

Yes it is complex - no wonder people get confused over these fiddly 'descriptors'.
    Thank you for advice, my gp now saying I missed out a lot of other problems I have which he can evidence.  If I now add these dwp will think im lying as not mention before..
    Ddd
    Does anyone know how I can change my user name, I don't want two reading this
    Ddd
    edited July 2018
    Luggah said:
    Thank you for advice, my gp now saying I missed out a lot of other problems I have which he can evidence.  If I now add these dwp will think im lying as not mention before..
    As you've been refused and the MR is your next step then unfortunately unless those conditions were mentioned either on the PIP2 form, or at the assessment. Then DWP and the Tribunal (if you get that far) will not take any new conditions into consideration. You need to concentrate on the conditions that you did mention and send evidence for those and not anything new.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    edited July 2018
    It's an another exiting condition I have but did not mention clearly how it affects me,  but I did mention on form.  They said I have no evidence and this condition is reason for my pain
    Ddd
    It's not about a diagnosis, it totally depends on how those conditions affect you.
    edited July 2018
    Absolutely no issue about when and whether you raised the condition. Just a matter of being honest and explaining how poorly you explained it to the HCP and then explaining it in detail at the appeal stage. Provided your GP or other medical professional confirms the diagnosis, which is a piece of evidence you do want, then it’s literally just a more detailed explanation that’s needed. Any potential issues about credibility are killed the moment the diagnosis is confirmed in writing. It’s very hard for most of us to remember to articulate everything through pain.
    edited July 2018
    Thank you every for advice,  can i say in letter how much points I think  I should be awarded. 
    Ddd
    Yes, but also why and which specific evidence supports each assertion. 
    Good afternoon everyone, do you know where I can find out how long my award is for,  i want to challenge this on the mandatory reconsideration.  Do i go by what it says on the assessment report.  also is there a way i can edit my user name on my profile
    Ddd
    Your original award letter or a quick(ish) call to DWP.
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    @Luggah I think you’d need to email scope about your username, I just looked at my settings on mine but can’t see how to change it.

susan48 said:
    @Luggah I think you’d need to email scope about your username, I just looked at my settings on mine but can’t see how to change it.

Thanks, Susan
    Ddd
    susan48 said:

A date on the assessment report say 12 months,  I think this may be it, it is not mentioned on the decision letter
    Ddd
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    That will be the award length 
    Anything mentioned in a HCP report is a recommendation. If an end date is not mentioned on the decision letter then you’ve either missed it; lost the page or it’s an ongoing award.
    Anything mentioned in a HCP report is a recommendation. If an end date is not mentioned on the decision letter then you’ve either missed it; lost the page or it’s an ongoing award.
    As @mikehughescq Also has stated above. A decision letter should look like this on it. This is mine and yours should have something like it or similar.

⬇️

Thanks I will look at it again,  I was declined both so maybe reason y not mentioned
    Ddd
    As others have said, it's the descriptor with the highest points in a category that applies and only one descriptor per category is allowed.

So, with preparing food, if you meet two descriptors, one with 2 points, the other with 4, it is the descriptor with 4 points that applies, and only that one descriptor.  You cannot add descriptors together within a category.
    I am unable to cook as walk using a frame, therefore both my hands are occupied, and is not a me to carry pots and pans and also food.  Only way is will require help from another person.  Will this give me 4 points.  Or even 12 as don't be able to cook at all if alone

Ddd
    Go through all the food prep descriptors and select the highest-points one that applies.
    There's no 12 points for this descriptor, the most you can get for this is 8 points.

Here's little more about what this descriptor means and a little about the 8 points that a claimant could score.
    Descriptor preparing food.

Descriptor 1F measures the ability to prepare and cook food. A claimant can only satisfy 1F if they can neither prepare nor cook food (even with assistance or supervision). If they cannot do one of these, even with assistance or supervision, but can do the other then one of the other descriptors will apply.

Claimants who can prepare food but cannot cook it, would not satisfy this descriptor.

Basically this means that if can prepare and cook food with supervision/assistance then you won't score 8 points in this descriptor. 4 points is possible and most likely more appropriate.
  • YadnadYadnad Member - under moderation Posts: 2,862 Disability Gamechanger
    Luggah said:
    That was a problem I had with my old ESA claim in 2009 and my PIP claims.

For the ESA claim I read the ESA50 form to mean that I could only describe the problems that I was having that related to the condition that was written on the sick note. Obviously the sick note would have had to run to three pages to get the rest on. I pointed out to the DWP after I failed that it was because they didn't have the full story. I cited the ESA50 and they didn't believe what I was saying, then after looking at it the DWP agreed that the wording was not clear.  Eventually they understood the whole of the issues and gave me the Support Group for 3 years. Shortly after that they revised the ESA50 and the notes attached to it.

Likewise with the PIP forms. I filled the first one out for all of my issues including mental health. Unfortunately the assessor didn't believe a word that I had anything wrong with me. For the second and third PIP forms I put all of the problems down except any that had a bearing to my mental health as there was no point trying to push water uphill. For PIP I had Enhanced for both mobility and Care but alas lost it all after the third review earlier this year.

• tharathara Member - under moderation Posts: 49 Courageous
    Look at the food preparation descriptors. It assesses your ability to make yourself a meal independently and safely too. Pick the one that applies to you. 
Sign in or join us to comment.