Hi, my name is banjosmum! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is banjosmum!

Options
banjosmum
banjosmum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I have a range of conditions which are mostly secondary to the genetic condition Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. I mostly use a mobility scooter out of the house but can walk very short distances with sticks, and furniture surf around the house. My housemate Alison is a good friend who decided to become my carer when I became too ill to work about 8 years ago. She staryed a dog ealking business about 18months ago after a period of being a full time carer, she continues to care for me on a part time (unpaid) basis. I got a Canine Partner called Banjo 3 years ago to help me regain some independence. This year I've started having an agency come in four times a day just to take the pressure off my housemate. I am currently in the process of switching to direct payments and one of the carers at the agency, Coral, will be taking over my care as a PA which will suit both of our needs better. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and that is the first of three ops I am supposed to be having this year. As well as Banjo I have a rescue dog called Dougal and two disabled cats called Squiggle and Bean. 

So that's me... 

Comments

• NCL
    NCL Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Banjosmum, Welcome! Hello too to Alison and Banjo!
    I am quite new to the forum too and I'm finding it is really interesting and helpful. I hope that you find support here, too.
    I guess if you're three weeks post surgery you'll now be getting a bit better and even a bit bored. Hope the operation went well and that you're managing to get around a bit more now. 

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @banjosmum   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining. Wishing you well for a speedy recovery.

Thank you for sharing. We are a supportive community. Care and share. Lots of advice, new friends. Comments and posts from members who are like yourself.

Have a look at Talk about Specific Conditions .  Plenty of information and advice.

Ask the community anything some one will know.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @bonjosmum
    Welcome to the community! Is there anything in particular that we can help you with? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi @banjosmum,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board. :)

Do feel free to have a browse of our groups and categories, and please get in touch if we can help in any way!
    Liam

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.