ESA Contribution Based Second Condition. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA Contribution Based Second Condition.

Hi all, 

I am new to all of this, and I am currently in the process of applying for ESA. 
I would like clarification/insight in to a few issues. 

Firstly, the contribution ESA.
I have contributed enough national insurance in the last two years to be able to qualify. But it is the second contribution condition that I'm finding tricky to understand...
  • Second contribution condition - in both of the last two complete tax years, you must have paid or been credited with, Class 1 or 2 contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.
I'm unsure if I meet this condition. I received a pay off/ill health redundancy from work in Sep 2017, and paid almost £300 in NI in the mentioned tax year (2017/2018). I had been on long term sick prior to this date. With my last date of no SSP in January 2017. I have not claimed income support or any other benefits between September 2017 and now. Does this mean that I won't have received class 1 or 2 contributions for the last tax year (2017/18), despite paying a large lump sum of NI? And therefore not meet the second contribution condition. 

I think I am ultimately asking if I will have provided enough contribution in the 2017/18 tax year or will there be a gap in contributions? 

Thanks in advance. 



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.