Can I Get ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I Get ESA

Options
JennG
JennG Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I used to get ESA but it was stopped over a year ago after I had a medical even though I am registered disabled have a mobility car and unable to walk unaided.  I could only drive short distances and found public transport very difficult to use.  I  am in pain daily and take prescribed pain relief each day.  My question is in February this year I had a brain aneurysm and a bleed on the brain.  I have had to surrender my driving licence although I am one of the lucky ones because I survived and will I hope make a good recovery at present I am unable to walk unless I use a walker I have brought a mobility scooter to use outside I get tired and am now under the hospital in London.  I would find it very hard to attend a medical at the present time as I am not allowed to drive and a taxi cost me £90.00 the last time I went for a medical money which I no longer have. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JennG, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. In terms of whether you may be eligible, an online benefits calculator may be a good place to start. If you do decide to make an application, it may be that you can request a home assessment if you struggle to leave the house. Best of luck, and do keep us updated!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

As you have been found fit for work previously then applying again for ESA will only be possible for a completely different condition or a worsening of an existing condition. Otherwise you can't reapply.

If either of the above apply to you then it will also depend on circumstances. Do you live with a partner that works? Household income affects any means tested benefits you can claim.

You will also need to see what's in your area, if it a full universal credit area then you won't be able to claim ESA Income related, it will be universal credit you'll have to claim. Check your area by using this link. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.