Hi, my name is Obadiah! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Obadiah!

Options
Obadiah
Obadiah Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I'm already signed up as a Disability Gamechanger. I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Arthritis.

Comments

• ofme
    ofme Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I hope you keep well ?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Obadiah welcome to the community!

Would you like to tell us a bit more about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Obadiah
    Options
    Erm? I'm 70, diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy at 58, having been retired by BT at 55. Became a House Husband as my wife became a Deputy Headteacher. Son of a Pharmacist, ex St John Ambulance, now mainly a House Husband, but try to keep up with matters medical and technical.
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I apologise, I have not heard of Dilated Cardiomyopathy before, would you mind explaining what this is?
  • Obadiah
    Options
    Sorry! Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a weakness in one of the chambers of the heart. Symptoms are things like breathlessness and lack of energy. I have an implanted pacemaker to regulate my heart.
  • Ami2301
    Options
    I have just searched around the forum and it appears that you are the first member to mention Dilated Cardiomyopathy, so I looked elsewhere and found CareiomyopathyUK which may be of use to you.

Do let us know if we can be of any assistance! :)
  • Obadiah
    Options
    Thanks! Been a member of that group for years. As son of a pharmacist, long term first aider, ex St John Ambulance I’ve done a huge amount of research.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Obadiah :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Obadiah
    Options
  • cheniserowenaknox
    cheniserowenaknox Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    I like your name, is that your real name? I met a child once called cornelius, I like to meet people with names unusual like mine ? what is a disability gamechanger?
  • Obadiah
    Options
    No, I’m really a rather boring John. Obadiah was the name I adopted when I used to do English Civil War re-enactment. Disability Gamechanger is a new campaign started by Scope for people who are prepared to help raise the profile of disability and help to make people understand and accept us.
  • cheniserowenaknox
    cheniserowenaknox Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Oh haha! It’s still a good name, the bad guy on iron man 1 is obadiah; but that sounds good, I think there is a long way to go in getting people to recognise the barriers faced with disabilities, and also the amount of strength/effort it takes to function within the parameters of every day society, especially when you’re not visibly disabled, some of the looks, questions and comments I personally get are very invasive and suspicious. It doesn’t help either when being autistic I find it very difficult to explain it, and having my particular mental health issues am inclined to be terrified of people thinking I’m a mess that cannot cope! 
    P.s sorry for going on 
  • Obadiah
    Options
    No problem! My wife teaches special needs, so I know the world of disability quite well, apart from having heart failure myself! It would be a very sad world if we couldn’t support each other, as well as trying to explain what our world is like.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.