Hi, my name is Obadiah! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Obadiah!

Obadiah
Obadiah Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I'm already signed up as a Disability Gamechanger. I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Arthritis.

Comments

• ofme
    ofme Community member Posts: 18 Listener
    Hi, I hope you keep well ?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Obadiah welcome to the community!

Would you like to tell us a bit more about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Obadiah
    Erm? I'm 70, diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy at 58, having been retired by BT at 55. Became a House Husband as my wife became a Deputy Headteacher. Son of a Pharmacist, ex St John Ambulance, now mainly a House Husband, but try to keep up with matters medical and technical.
  • Ami2301
    I apologise, I have not heard of Dilated Cardiomyopathy before, would you mind explaining what this is?
  • Obadiah
    Sorry! Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a weakness in one of the chambers of the heart. Symptoms are things like breathlessness and lack of energy. I have an implanted pacemaker to regulate my heart.
  • Ami2301
    I have just searched around the forum and it appears that you are the first member to mention Dilated Cardiomyopathy, so I looked elsewhere and found CareiomyopathyUK which may be of use to you.

Do let us know if we can be of any assistance! :)
  • Obadiah
    Thanks! Been a member of that group for years. As son of a pharmacist, long term first aider, ex St John Ambulance I’ve done a huge amount of research.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Obadiah :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Obadiah
  • cheniserowenaknox
    cheniserowenaknox Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    I like your name, is that your real name? I met a child once called cornelius, I like to meet people with names unusual like mine ? what is a disability gamechanger?
  • Obadiah
    No, I’m really a rather boring John. Obadiah was the name I adopted when I used to do English Civil War re-enactment. Disability Gamechanger is a new campaign started by Scope for people who are prepared to help raise the profile of disability and help to make people understand and accept us.
  • cheniserowenaknox
    cheniserowenaknox Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Oh haha! It’s still a good name, the bad guy on iron man 1 is obadiah; but that sounds good, I think there is a long way to go in getting people to recognise the barriers faced with disabilities, and also the amount of strength/effort it takes to function within the parameters of every day society, especially when you’re not visibly disabled, some of the looks, questions and comments I personally get are very invasive and suspicious. It doesn’t help either when being autistic I find it very difficult to explain it, and having my particular mental health issues am inclined to be terrified of people thinking I’m a mess that cannot cope! 
    P.s sorry for going on 
  • Obadiah
    No problem! My wife teaches special needs, so I know the world of disability quite well, apart from having heart failure myself! It would be a very sad world if we couldn’t support each other, as well as trying to explain what our world is like.

Brightness