What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Benefits - What can i do?

beckypbeckyp Member Posts: 1 Listener
Im currently on esa income based and claim for me and my husband. But i am being deducted money due to my husband getting working tax (he's on a zero contract and nkt working at the moment) but is leaving me only being paid £130 a fornight which with a child is leaving us with hardly anything to live off. What can i do?


  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beckyp

    Good Afternoon it’s great to have today.

    Can you please ease let me know if you have claimed any other “Benefits”

    We have got a “Benefit Calculator” on our site.

    Here’s a link for you below:


    This will give you a good idea of what is potentially available for you!!!!!!

  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're claiming Income Related ESA because this is a means tested benefit this yes any working tax credits he receives will be deducted from your ESA, which is correct. He tax credits should be boosting your household income.

    You say he's not working at the moment because he's on a zero hour contract? How long has it been since he's worked?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello @beckyp

    £130 a fortnight is  a very low income. As steve51 has stated it maybe worth you completing a benefit check to see if you are claiming all possible benefit entitlement.  For example, are you claiming Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Housing Benefit/Council tax reduction?

    It may also be worth you seeking advice from a local CAB or advice agency to help with benefit entitlement.  

    Tax Credits is paid to those who on average work a set number of hours, for example your husband may have to work 16 hours a week.  Firstly, as poppy123456 states how long has he been without work? As you need to be sure that he is still meeting (on average) the minimum hours requirement. If not, you need to contact tax credits to check that he is still entitled. 

    If your husbands work is less than 24 hours a week (on average) then he may be able to join your ESA claim, instead of claiming Working Tax Credit, BUT I would seek advice e.g. from CAB to discuss this route in more detail, to see if you are any better off and that he is able to join your claim.  

    Kind regards

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.