Benefits - What can i do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits - What can i do?

beckyp
beckyp Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Im currently on esa income based and claim for me and my husband. But i am being deducted money due to my husband getting working tax (he's on a zero contract and nkt working at the moment) but is leaving me only being paid £130 a fornight which with a child is leaving us with hardly anything to live off. What can i do?

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beckyp

Good Afternoon it’s great to have today.

Can you please ease let me know if you have claimed any other “Benefits”

We have got a “Benefit Calculator” on our site.

Here’s a link for you below:

https://search.scope.org.uk/s/redirect?collection=scope-meta&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fcheck&index_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scope.org.uk%2Fsupport%2Fdisabled-people%2Fbenefits%2Fcheck&auth=sN%2B7AvRM61Si5RLWTmoSQQ&profile=_default&rank=1&query=Benefit+calculator

This will give you a good idea of what is potentially available for you!!!!!!
    pos

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As you're claiming Income Related ESA because this is a means tested benefit this yes any working tax credits he receives will be deducted from your ESA, which is correct. He tax credits should be boosting your household income.

You say he's not working at the moment because he's on a zero hour contract? How long has it been since he's worked?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello @beckyp

£130 a fortnight is  a very low income. As steve51 has stated it maybe worth you completing a benefit check to see if you are claiming all possible benefit entitlement.  For example, are you claiming Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Housing Benefit/Council tax reduction?

It may also be worth you seeking advice from a local CAB or advice agency to help with benefit entitlement.  

Tax Credits is paid to those who on average work a set number of hours, for example your husband may have to work 16 hours a week.  Firstly, as poppy123456 states how long has he been without work? As you need to be sure that he is still meeting (on average) the minimum hours requirement. If not, you need to contact tax credits to check that he is still entitled. 

If your husbands work is less than 24 hours a week (on average) then he may be able to join your ESA claim, instead of claiming Working Tax Credit, BUT I would seek advice e.g. from CAB to discuss this route in more detail, to see if you are any better off and that he is able to join your claim.  

Kind regards

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.