PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Somebody to attend PIP assessment with me

Bevers1959Bevers1959 Member Posts: 56 Connected
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Have pip assessment my brother who normally come with me has an appointment  so cant attend ,have tried everywhere for someone to attend with me but no luck Any suggestions please would be much appreciated 

Replies

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bevers1959, and a warm welcome to the community!

I've moved your post into our PIP/DLA discussions where hopefully our other members will be able to advise. I've also removed your other duplicate posts, so hopefully all your responses should be here!
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you tried to rearrange your assessment ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Bevers1959Bevers1959 Member Posts: 56 Connected
    Yes but they said no
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Why did they say no? Is it because you've canceled one appointment previously?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you am new on here ,just need advise 
    No,said that because it is 2wks away, it was to late and changing appointment would go against me
    Its a review i,m attending, explained to them that i would struggle but they said i had to attend, they dont realise how challenging it will be, i dont know if its a good idea my brother coming he has heart problems, and it will be hard for him to sit through ,me explaining how the abuse affects me
  • o5jessicao5jessica Member Posts: 42 Connected
    Hi I have same  my medical pip capita failed me, 
    Since July to-date I got home visit, yet again it am time .
    I'm need pm my high care needs etc.
    Shocked  when too my fromer soical worker left her job 
    She was to sis in on medical , 
    As I got additional information medical evidence sent to capita dwp too
     They never took any notice off that I'm never do mormoin side effects meds too or alone with strangers.
    Instead capita buness services limited company employees. Still came  9.15am I'm no one to help me yet , major shocked.

I since had fromer social worker call many times explain again .
    Instead of checking my evidence hers too.
    I'm block to dla, offer pip even paper based medical.
     I since logged official complaint of disability discrimination cause me harm.
    Beach duty of care.
    To dwp too
    To review cumpter descion. Now my new social worker Fri  failed to support assist me to find out what going on .I no family members support.so I know to well how difficult to find trust in some one to support you and in medical. 
    They can't refuse to change an appointment date. You need to ring them back, tell them that you don't have someone to go with you on that date. Tell them you'd like to cancel and arrange another date/time. Make sure you don't refuse to go and before you ring them ask your brother what dates he's available to go with you.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    It is hard ,am under a psychologist now so hope they will take that into consideration 
    It is hard ,am now under a psychologist so hope they will take that into consideration 
  • YadnadYadnad Member - under moderation Posts: 2,862 Disability Gamechanger
    They can't refuse to change an appointment date. You need to ring them back, tell them that you don't have someone to go with you on that date. Tell them you'd like to cancel and arrange another date/time. Make sure you don't refuse to go and before you ring them ask your brother what dates he's available to go with you.
    Yes they can. It is not a requirement for someone to attend with them.

I have been to three and my wife sat outside in the reception area whilst I went in on my own. It's not as though it's an execution chamber!
    edited November 2018
    Absolute rubbish! First you quote a post of mine a few days ago telling me that there's no rule to how many tmes you can cancel an assessment. Now you tell me they can't refuse because someone can't attend alone. That's nonsense! There's people with anxiety that are unable to go anywhere alone. I'm sure you make it up as you go along. Scaring people again, i see.
    Some people just dont get it ,stress and anxiety, is hard and some of us dont have anybody ,dont like the thought of my brother who has heart trouble having the extra stress of worrying about me , they dont no what its like when you are physically sick because of meeting  someone you dont no espcially when you have been sexually abused
    Absolute rubbish! First you quote a post of mine a few days ago telling me that there's no rule to how many tmes you can cancel an assessment. Now you tell me they can't refuse because someone can't attend alone. That's nonsense! There's people with anxiety that are unable to go anywhere alone. I'm sure you make it up as you go along. Scaring people again, i see.
    That's true, there is no legal or regulatory reason why you can't cancel many times.
    However the DWP decided that despite that they limit the number.

Therefore whilst you have the right to cancel more than once, the DWP/assessor will not accept that application. 

The DWP guidance says that you may bring someone with you, not must.
     There is no legal right to have anybody with you in the assessment. In fact the assessor does have the right to refuse admission into the room or evict part way through the assessment if they feel that the person that the claimant brought with them is disruptive or causing issue with the process.

@Yadnad bevers1959 has anxiety issues and is unable to go to the assessment alone. Your comments aren't helping here, no one said anything about anyone being disruptive. You really do always seem to manage to twist things.

@Bevers1959 please ring the assessment providers tomorrow morning and explain to them that because of your anxiety issues you would like to cancel and re-book the assessment to a date when your brother can attend with you. Make sure you speak to your brother first so you know what days he's not available.
    @Yadnad bevers1959 has anxiety issues and is unable to go to the assessment alone. Your comments aren't helping here, no one said anything about anyone being disruptive. You really do always seem to manage to twist things.

Not at all, I was outlining the facts as they are.
    Will try and thanks to the ones who have helpfull ,just hope that the other people wont get anxiety issues cause its a struggle everyday
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you manage to sort it out, With anxiety issues this can only make it worse
    My thoughts are with you

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    Will try and thanks to the ones who have helpfull ,just hope that the other people wont get anxiety issues cause its a struggle everyday
    You're welcome. I know exactly what anxiety is like because i've suffered with it myself and my daughter still does. Good luck with your assessment!
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,327 Disability Gamechanger
    This is where you need to ask for a home visit as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act 2010.
    Have asked but they say if u can walk  you can attend
    You may have asked for a HV but have you done so in writing citing your right as a disabled person under EA 10 to have a HV as an RA and explaining why. If you’d done that then they cannot offer the reply you state. They have to offer one of the legit reasons for refusal of a RA and they have to do it in writing.
    Will phone and request home visit .thank you
  • sheenas69sheenas69 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited November 2018
    @Yadnad
    This has really annoyed me to think you can be so ignorant and rude.. These assessments aren't always easy for everyone (unlike yours obviously).. And by your comments it could really upset people and put them in a downward spiral.
    I went with my daughter aged 20 who has depression and anxiety and went in with her on her pip appointment with no bother or question about it, it was welcomed... And what happens if you have a carer who looks after you 24/7 surely you need them with you..
    I have just been on Citizens Advise and PIP Assessment Centre and quote " it can be easier to talk openly about your health condition or disability if you have some moral support, so we encourage you to have a companion with you." Etc....

@Bevers1959 and anyone else. I hope things go well for you xxx

Thank you ,its just so overwhelming for me and i no i am going to struggle
    Do you live anywhere in Sussex?

No i am in Lancashire 
    Just thinkin is all this worth it
    Definitely worth it.. sorry can't help live to far away.. is there a disability centre of some such that can help you. As they can go with you as a friend has done that as well.. x
    This is a very stressful application I think to scare us into not applying... x
    Will phone and request home visit .thank you
    You really need to put this in writing to pin them down. In a phone call you will be browbeaten by their ignorance and they can deny it was an EA 10 request.
    Have tried every charity,help lines ,they dont provide people to attend with you thank you for your support
    I will write to them tomorrow,& try for home visit, what annoys me is they dont have any compassion sexual abuse is a tabbo subject to them they dont realise what it does to people for  the rest of their lives 
    Try the council and ask if there is department for help with disabilitiea as this is where ours in Sussex is run through. Lancashire office tel. 0300 123 6701. Hope that helps. X
    edited November 2018
    sheenas69 said:
    @Yadnad
    This has really annoyed me to think you can be so ignorant and rude.. These assessments aren't always easy for everyone (unlike yours obviously).. And by your comments it could really upset people and put them in a downward spiral.
    I went with my daughter aged 20 who has depression and anxiety and went in with her on her pip appointment with no bother or question about it, it was welcomed... And what happens if you have a carer who looks after you 24/7 surely you need them with you..
    I have just been on Citizens Advise and PIP Assessment Centre and quote " it can be easier to talk openly about your health condition or disability if you have some moral support, so we encourage you to have a companion with you." Etc....

@Bevers1959 and anyone else. I hope things go well for you xxx

I'm sorry but I had no intention in upsetting anyone. I only quoted the facts as I understand them to be as taken form the guidance manuals.
    My assessments easy? You must be joking. All three were a nightmare. As soon as I started to explain my answers I was cut short.
    OK my body language clearly upset the assessors. Not my fault - all part of the problems I have.
    I too suffer from depression on top of PTSD and currently on 200mg Sertraline to try and keep it and my temper under control.

Carer? My wife doesn't physically actually do that much for me, but as my rock for the past 23 years that I have been ill I can't do without her. I'm fiercely independent and try to keep a lid on everything for her sake.It's only because of her that I am still here. 

But no way was I going to allow my wife to see me get into a state at the assessment - she deserves better than that. It would upset me for her to hear how I really feel inside with all of the difficulties that I have to cope with and be strong for her.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    i ended up paying a carer to attend with me but know this isnt always possible...just thought id add to the thread ..sorry that you had a rude comment on this thread ...why you got it i really cant understand x
    @Yadnad it won't be the first time you've upset someone. It helps to have some consideration when replying to people posts. If you don't have anything nice to say then it's often better to just read and not reply. Unhelpful comments won't help people, especially those who already suffer with anxiety because you're just scaring them even more than they already are.
    @Yadnad it won't be the first time you've upset someone. It helps to have some consideration when replying to people posts. If you don't have anything nice to say then it's often better to just read and not reply. Unhelpful comments won't help people, especially those who already suffer with anxiety because you're just scaring them even more than they already are.
    As I have already said, I have only quoted what the rules/guidance are.
    Are you suggesting that if a piece of guidance or rule is upsetting then we must pretend that it doesn't exist for fear of becoming more upset by reading it?
    Unfortunately I live in the real world parts of which are not acceptable to many.

• TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    I think mikehughescq is the best person to listen to as regards the rules and regulations.  He has a good success rate.  Insisting on your right to a home assessment as a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act really is the way to go, unless you have someone else who could go with you?  I understand that having an assessment in your own home is actually more stressful for some people!
    Yadnad said:
    As I have already said, I have only quoted what the rules/guidance are.
    Are you suggesting that if a piece of guidance or rule is upsetting then we must pretend that it doesn't exist for fear of becoming more upset by reading it?
    Unfortunately I live in the real world parts of which are not acceptable to many.

Everybody’s “real world” is a skewed version to some extent. The problem is when you constantly relate your own experience to others without recognising when it’s highly unusual.

So, you worked in a fraud context. That’s given you a completely skewed perspective on actual fraud levels and you repeatedly post on that basis. Especially concerning because fraud figures are a form of frud on the public and benefit fraud is low and fraud prosecutions are even lower. It creates anxiety where there is little need. 

Ditto you and your wife seem to have struggled with the basics of benefit claims and in securing adequate assistance or representation. Therefore you assume that others should at least be aware they could have similar problems and repeatedly post along those lines too when in fact the majority don’t. It creates anxiety where there is little need. 

It’s the adding of an “angle” which purports to add something factual but which is actually a tangent. Thus above you purport to quote the guidance on assess,rents and cancellations when it’s not really relevant to a discussion which is really about the fact a home visit is needed. Your summary is also crucially inaccurate in stating DWP/the assessor will not accept subsequent attempts to cancel. 

Firstly, it’s neither DWP nor the assessor. It’s a purely administrative decision by the assessment provider. A small but critical distinction. They’ll follow the guidance to the precise point someone challenges and then it’s escalated away from them. 

Secondly, there is plenty of evidence that if a case is presented properly they will of course accept subsequent cancellations. I’ve had one client who ran to six cancellations for various reasons and another with five. 

To be clear I really like many of our discussions and your contributions but the tendency to see as central what others see as tangents perhaps points towards why you may have had so many benefit issues. Seeing complexity where there is none? 

Obviously that  person is not like me ,he said he has depression  and that he remains strong for his wife so much so she waits in the waiting room ,am sorry but the fact that he could actually go in with no hesitation and that he keeps control baffles me ,the dread i have is to actually get to the place  and i cant stop breaking down anywhere and everyday  wish i could control my anxiety and depression 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    hugs...i get it....i suppose some dont realise just how difficult it can get ....lets hope it stays that way for them huh ? its not a choice or a weakness its genuinly unbearable and can affect anyone.
    edited November 2018
    Obviously that  person is not like me ,he said he has depression  and that he remains strong for his wife so much so she waits in the waiting room ,am sorry but the fact that he could actually go in with no hesitation and that he keeps control baffles me ,the dread i have is to actually get to the place  and i cant stop breaking down anywhere and everyday  wish i could control my anxiety and depression 
    Everybody is different.
    The last thing that I want to do is for me to try to talk about my issues with the assessor without the worry of how my wife would feel if she realised the true extent of my problems.
    I have no choice in the matter - maybe I am wrong but I have protected my wife over the years on many things relating to my health.
    She is not a well woman either.
    It's not a case of walking into the assessment alone with no hesitation and having full control of my issues. The choice is not there - I have no choice.
    As for full control, grief, without that control the first thing that would happen if I became agitated was to probably demolish the damn room. Anybody that then came in would have to be extremely careful in how they approached me. I know what I can be like - probably their worst nightmare.
    Hence the reason why I have had to be sectioned in the past - not just for my benefit but mainly for the benefit of everybody around me.
    Without that control how would my wife react if I was pushed that far?

Over the years with counselling etc I have had to learn how to control myself.

I would add that before the incident I was the most placid and patient guy that you could meet.
    With the brain injury on top of the PTSD my personality changed overnight

I lead a normal life to the outsider which is only possible because of the drugs I am on and the hours and years I have spent within the mental health system trying to take back control of my life.

Sign in or join us to comment.