Oestoarthritis in knees — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Oestoarthritis in knees

Options
glittery
glittery Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I now bought an electric scooter as from summer last year so I can get out. I am 47 and not worried what people think as it's me who benefits from feeling isolated at home. I guess I'm also lucky I can drive..but no more hour each way..anymore my ankles and legs swell up 

Comments

• DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Options
    hi @glittery
    I know that feeling all too well .
    Arthritis started in me at the age of 50 after a bad accident.I am now 70 and this in every major joint . I have an EPV (wheelchair) to get around in plus a Motability vehicle .I am now 70 and without worrying what other people think .! 
    I have to lie down on return home in order to feel rested otherwise I would be stuck at home 24/7 . 
    No thanks .You keep on going and do what you need to do !
  • glittery
    glittery Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    DavidJ thank you and good on you also for getting out. I have to get home a recline my legs ..all about the test and how to keep the pain a bit lower if not over doing things 
  • ncps
    ncps Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    I also have this problem as I use a wheelchair / rotator and stick depending on the day I am having, I look young for my age (39) and hated using any of them, until my partner said, I don't understand you, if it gives you more independence or allows you to walk a bit and sit a bit what's the problem? from that day I felt much better knowing I was taking back a little bit of my life from chronic pain.

Lou

Northants chronic pain support

www.ncpsuk.com

• Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Options
    I had always been big but I was always active until I was 30 years old and had an accident it was so silly I was decorating and I jumped off the chair to get more paint and my friend had left her mug on the floor and I landed with my right foot straight on the mug it didn't break but it sent a shock up my leg and slipped two discs in the bottom of my back L5 and S1 I struggled for a long time and eventually needed my wheelchair I was very worried what people thought but eventually I became very isolated because I wouldn't go out I didn't want people seeing me like that but then I decided nobody else cares what I look like or how I get around so I got a mobility scooter and at least now I can go around and smile at people say hello help people where I can I have just got to 50 years old and I know I wouldn't go anywhere without my mobility scooter

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.