Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA3 (IBR); which address to (re)send statements to?

piglet101piglet101 Member Posts: 29 Connected
Hello :-)

I attempted to send bank statements (and the form I'd missed one question on) via DPD Local ... a nightmare; not collected, then they refuse to deliver, and decided they're sending it back, which I have no hope will happen. Luckily, bank are not charging me for replacement statements, and I have just called the ESA, who took the answer I'd missed on the form, and have given me an extension to February 28th, for getting bank statements to them.

I'm a bit thrown by the different addresses on ESA letters. I know I copied word for word the address as below, so it's probably DPD just being really bad:
Torquay Contact Centre
Mail Handling Site A
WOLVERHAMPTON
WV98 1QW
GB

But, the address on the original letter is:
torquay IBR
post handling A
Wolverhampton
WV98 1QW

I'm going to enquire with Hermes, unless anyone can recommend another company, so will the parcel reach them whichever address I use? ... it was the 2nd address's telephone number I used today to get through to someone, so I'm thinking the second address may be better?

I'd had no idea what title to put, when asked on the delivery form; I think putting 'manager' instead of 'esa manager' may be better, incase anyone handling the parcel isn't too happy about people who receive benefits.

Thanks for any advice. Much appreciate.

Replies

• piglet101piglet101 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    edited January 2019
    Didn't intend 3 copies of thread. If I may please request deletion of the other two copies of the thread ... there were connection errors, and no message that thread had gone through.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    No worries @piglet101, I've removed the other posts and hopefully you'll have some responses soon on this one!
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,289 Disability Gamechanger
    Make sure your NI number is on each document you send to the DWP. And ring DWP for correct address.
    edited January 2019
    Thanks @wilko
    Yes, it was about 10 minutes after calling that I realised there were 2 different addresses, and thanks for reminder about NI number. :-) I don't do too well on the phone, and was just wondering which address those who've had a response had sent their bank statements to. I'd tried the phone number associated with the first address today, and got no response, but did from the 2nd number/address. I'll give them a quick call. 
    I called, and it's the second address ... she said addresses are based on the postcode you're sending from. She also said to put ESA3(IBR) at the top of the address, to make sure the parcel will get to them.
    edited January 2019
    Having a bit of a nightmare with this. Without warning, dpd local surprisingly did return the parcel, but with no explanation of why refused to deliver. I check on the Hermes website, and they say they do not service that postcode:
    torquay IBR
    post handling A
    Wolverhampton
    WV98 1QW

I've waited 12 minutes on the phone, trying to check with Royal Mail if they will send a parcel to this postcode; no answer.

Can I please ask if anyone else has posted the statements to this particular address via Royal Mail and had success? And, if I pay online and print out what is necessary, is it safe to place the parcel in the postbox, rather than go to the post office? Would really appreciate advice.

• worried33worried33 Member Posts: 399 Pioneering
    Sadly I lost the letter again, but when I sent my 2nd copies, I sent them to the address on the letter that originally informed me about the backdated payments (the one that came with the form).

Also i written my NI on each page of the statement, as well as reference number, it was a nightmare, I will try to find the letter now, so I can confirm the address for you, I know it was torquay so probably the same office.
    Torquay Contact Centre
    Mail Handling Site A
    WOLVERHAMPTON
    WV98 1QW

Is correct
    Thanks for your messages @worried33. The address is very similar; just slight difference, but the same postcode ... that had thrown me too, so I was glad the ESA confirmed on the phone the exact address. You're right it's a nightmare! 
    edited February 2019
    That call centre is a lottery.

My experience was most of the staff didnt even know the postal address, they had an email address they could use to contact the processing office but refused to share it, they were able to check a tracker which provided only very basic information, when my MP contacted them, I got much more information about exactly what they waiting for right now etc. whilst when you ring up you just told to wait for the 3 month date.  In my case they waiting for 15 days to get files from their archives, and since I have been bumped up the queue for the bad handling of my statements, at that 15 day point I will be processed.

Also when I was promised a call back three different times, none of those 3 times they rang back, the only time I had a phone call was when I had help filling in the form.

From what was told to me on the phone, one of the processing offices is in the same building as the call centre, and those who are at that location will get a better service as they can check in another room etc. but those been processed in torquay have no direct way of contacting them.

One last thing, the letter that was supplied with the ESA3, also provides a long reference number which it tells you to mark on any documents been sent to them, so you probably want to find that letter so you can put that reference number in.
    Thanks for posting, and it sounds like you've had a bit of a complicated mess to deal with! I think it's deliberately made awkward, but it's good you got your MP involved. I'll make a note to do that and hopefully they're helpful.

You're saying that it can take 3 months to hear back from the ESA, and, if there's an issue, that is the time to involve MP?
    So basically the official wait time is 3 months, from the point you are passed onto processing (waiting for decision maker).

The problem I had started when they needed me to send in my bank statements as evidence, they wont pass it onto processing until all required evidence is in the DWP's hands.

I sent the first copy in, and the DWP simply had no record of it 2 weeks after it was sent, all they could tell me was to wait the entire 3 months just to find out if they got the statements which was clearly stupid.

I then tried to get the address to send a second copy in, and none of the call centre staff could tell me the address, I tried 3 times to arrange a callback from the processing office but the call never came, I was refused access to an email address (even tho other claimants were given the email address) or the direct phone number.  I eventually found my original letter and sent the second copies to the address on that letter.

However at the same time I decided to also do a written complaint to the head DWP office.  As well as contact my MP.

In late December the DWP finally told me I was passed onto processing and statements received, however it turns out they lied, more below.

The DWP replied to my complain in mid January telling me they intervened at the processing department and I was now in the processing queue.

I rang to confirm and was told I was put in processing on the 9 Jan, I said but you told me I was in processing in December, but they had nothing to say.  Note this 9 Jan date is very close to when the complaints office contacted me suggesting it only happened when they got involved.

Finally my MP contacted me, she wasnt happy, and I got even more information as well as been put in the priority queue.  I never requested to go in the priority queue, my complaint was about the statements not been processed and been lost by the DWP, in the end it took them over a month to pass on the statements to processing.
    Thank you very much for explaining the process, and sorry to hear there were difficulties along the way. They definitely put a lot of obstacles in the way; good to power on, as you are. Making the complaint and contacting your MP were clearly the right thing to do.

I'm sending statements by RM special delivery, hopefully to avoid them saying they didn't receive them, and will look up about MP, in preparation.

May I ask which address you sent the written complaint to?
    The address at bottom of this page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure

DWP Complaints 
    Post Handling Site B 
    Wolverhampton 
    WV99 2GY 
    Thanks @worried33. Nice not to be overwhelmed trying to check out that address also! Much appreciate. Hopefully good news on the horizon for us both. :-)
    got my back payment now piglet, it was less then I hoped for but when I checked the breakdown sheet, I can see it is correct and also they didnt deduct anything for assets/income.  The reason it was less is because in the earlier years the amount they owed was much lower due to IB transitional protection.  I got just over £2200.  
    That's awesome, worried33; congratulations! :-) Treat yourself to something nice to celebrate, especially as you had to complain etc. Good that they've been fair, and that's a very helpful amount of money to receive.

My parcel got through, via Royal Mail signed for (special delivery), and ESA have since called to ask permission to open sealed statements, and, true to their word, have now returned them. She also explained about the process, that it would take about 3 months to get back to me. Thanks again for further advice, and congratulations again! 

edited February 2019
    I am glad they received your statements, hopefully its a smooth ride for you from here, good luck.  I will check back on here in case you get stuck and have more questions for me, fingers crossed you dont need to tho.
    Thanks so much. 😃 Really appreciate, and will update thread. Have a great day, and enjoy that the process is finished. 
Sign in or join us to comment.