PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Pip

26Cookesterrace26Cookesterrace Member Posts: 6 Listener

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Do you have a question about PIP? If so then we'll need more information to be able to help you further.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • 26Cookesterrace26Cookesterrace Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi my pip will be reviewd again in April i would be so greatful if anybody could advise me .
    If i decide to tick no change do i still give them some info from my last pip form.
    Or do i not put anything in box below .
    Thanks .
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    The best advice is to treat a review the same as a new claim and send all relevant evidence with the form.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    definitely do not put "no change" i agree totally with CockneyRebel here. If you put no change then you'll 100% be called for another assessment. Put as much information as possible, adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that acitivity for each descriptor that applies.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you for your help 
    So what do i tick x
    Easier
    Harder
    Or no change .
    The PIP review forms have changed and they are slightly different to what they used to be.

You answer the questions with as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. No one can tell you what to put because no one here knows how your conditions affect you.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    ilovecats said:
    If nothing has changed then leave it blank and just write ‘no change’ in the box. The assessor can look at your last PIP form if they want to
    What would happen if the last form was poorly completed with little relevant information and scored 0 points but won at MR/appeal tribunal with over 12 points for each of Care and Mobility?

A lot of people have lost their awards by simply stating "no change" even when they have Enhanced for both parts. Not all HCPs are honest and they don't all look at the evidence we provide. Yes, i know we don't hear about the good stories and they are out there but never take anything for granted when it comes to claiming a benefit. Always treat a review like it's a new claim.
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @26Cookesterrace If you're having difficulty filling in the form, maybe consider getting someone to help? A family member you can trust can become your appointee by contacting DWP and requesting this. There's nothing to stop you having help without an appointee so long as you fill in the form yourself after you and the other person have discussed which box to tick and what information you need to put on the form. 
    A person would only need an appointee if they can't manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled.

Anyone can fill out a form on behalf of a claimant, you don't need to have an appointee to do this. The claimant just needs to sign the form, if they don't have an appointee.

Thanks for all your help so kind of  you.
    Nothing has changed at all im on lifelong medication
    My last face to face was no change even though the Mcmillian nurse put (got worse) on my review form two years ago.
    Ive had breast cancer twice and other medical conditions.

Thank u all once again x

ilovecats said:
    Yadnad said:
    ilovecats said:
    If nothing has changed then leave it blank and just write ‘no change’ in the box. The assessor can look at your last PIP form if they want to
    What would happen if the last form was poorly completed with little relevant information and scored 0 points but won at MR/appeal tribunal with over 12 points for each of Care and Mobility?

True. Maybe I’m approaching this from the assessor point of view, what I mean is, if you were awarded the correct award the first time round, if nothing has changed at all then don’t over complicate it by writing things in the boxes. If anything has got worse or you have some evidence that something has changed then yes, definitely write about it or send it in. 

My logic being that if you are receiving the correct award and nothing has changed, if the evidence submitted last time hasn’t changed then it may be easier to do a PBR. 

Quite often people tick no change, but then write why they can’t do it in the box, which often is at odds with the award they were given or the original PIP2 so then even though you’ve ticked no change, you still have to be called in. I hope that makes sense?

We can see where a MR has changed the descriptor. We can’t see anything tribunal related I believe.

Again, this is from an assessment point of view so happy to be corrected. 
    If a tribunal decision was made last time, would it be beneficial to include the tribunal notice as part of your evidence ?
    Anyone can fill out a form on behalf of a claimant, you don't need to have an appointee to do this. The claimant just needs to sign the form, if they don't have an appointee. 
    Agreed, but be aware that if the claim goes as far as a Tribunal they are likely to ask who completed the form. If it appears to have been filled out professionally then there could be some doubt as to its truthfulness. In my case with my wife's AA claim the form whilst completed by an agency it was poorly done With me representing her at the hearing (she was too ill to attend having just come out of hospital with pleurisy) I had to accept responsibility by saying that I completed it for her. This was to avoid the agency concerned potentially losing credibility now and in the future at other hearings.

Unfortunately that caused my credibility to be lost at the hearing with my wife's claim being denied. However just days later I filled out a new claim for her  and that within weeks she was awarded the day and night rate indefinitely!

It just shows how Tribunals assess credibility by how a claim form has been completed. 

Oh. don't be so ridiculous. Advice agencies help fill out forms for people all the time.
    I know they do, but all I can say is that the credibility of my wife's claim rested on the completeness and honesty of the claim form and the integrity of the person filling it out.
    And I have read of other cases where that question was asked of the claimant. 
    No-one on here is rediculous! That's uncalled for. We all have our own points of view usually gained from first hand experience as in Yadnad's case. He is perfectly entitled to post on here without being called rediculous.  
    This comment.."if it appears to have been filled out professionally then there could be some doubt as to its truthfulness." advice centres fill out forms for people all the time. In fact DWP have representatives that also help fill out the forms. Scaring people doesn't help, especially when they have no where else to turn.
  • cristobalcristobal Member Posts: 966 Disability Gamechanger

I found this forum very valuable - thanks everyone for that. Having read the posts for a few weeks (last year) I felt I was clear in my own mind how to approach the claim process and ultimately I was successful. I’ve noticed of late though that there seems to be more and more contradictory advice. Take this post as an example.If I read it correctly the advice to the OP is:-

Put ‘No change’ on a renewal form, and don’t put ‘No change’ and,

Seek help from CAB etc and don’t seek help, as if the form is completed well it will look bent.

I’m not sure what the answer is - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there are strongly held views either way - but if I were completing a renewal form now (fortunately I’m not!) I would be very confused.

Obviously it’s up to the OP to decide who’s advice to take, but it doesn’t seem to be as clear as it once was….

[I’m not aiming this at any individual, obviously]

edited February 2019
    wildlife said:
    No-one on here is rediculous! That's uncalled for. We all have our own points of view usually gained from first hand experience as in Yadnad's case. He is perfectly entitled to post on here without being called rediculous.  
    Thank you, my post was based entirely on my own experience of my wife's Attendance Allowance claim the form for which was completed by a recognised local charity CROP Kent. They made a hash of it and for me to save their reputation I took the blame.
    This comment.."if it appears to have been filled out professionally then there could be some doubt as to its truthfulness." advice centres fill out forms for people all the time. In fact DWP have representatives that also help fill out the forms. Scaring people doesn't help, especially when they have no where else to turn.
    Well Poppy that experience didn't scare me - it made me sceptical of trusting any outside agency, hence why since that date eight years ago when my wife was 68 I have had no help or advice in completing any DWP form including the PIP ones. As for wanting/asking the DWP to send one of their officers out (visiting officers) to help complete the forms - that's similar, in my opinion, to putting your head inside the mouth of a lion! Besides which those officers when they do visit are not allowed to advise anything - they are there only (supposedly) to write down word  for word what the claimant says.
    Having recently completed both an ESA review for myself and a PIP review form for my daughter, if at the time i needed help filling in the forms i wouldn't have hesitated in contacting an advice agency to help me do that. Which i have done for every other review in the past.  I would never allow a DWP rep to help me do that, although i know they do.  Not once did i ever suggest not writing down word for word what the claimant says.

Thankfully, i didn't need the help this time and completed both forms myself. When i filled out the forms i put as much information as possible about how we're affected by our conditions. I don't know why anyone would simply put "no change" and leave it at that.
    Having recently completed both an ESA review for myself and a PIP review form for my daughter, if at the time i needed help filling in the forms i wouldn't have hesitated in contacting an advice agency to help me do that. Which i have done for every other review in the past.  I would never allow a DWP rep to help me do that, although i know they do.  Not once did i ever suggest not writing down word for word what the claimant says.

Thankfully, i didn't need the help this time and completed both forms myself. When i filled out the forms i put as much information as possible about how we're affected by our conditions. I don't know why anyone would simply put "no change" and leave it at that.
    I think that we should agree to disagree on looking or taking advice. Your experience was a good one which left you with a trusting knowledge that you would not hesitate to go back again if needed.
    For me it was a bad experience which has left me with no faith in any of them made more apparent when the CAB in 2013 told me that they would telephone me with a time and date to go see them - now nearly 6 years later I still haven't received that phone call.
    The forms are not the easiest things to understand and the DWP do not help make it clear with what is required. For many people faced with filling out these forms it can be overwhelming and it may be better to seek advice and help where possible.
    As a last resort I would use the DWP service but having  completed the form I would not allow them to take the form away. I would want to read it or get someone I trust to do so. I would correct any part that I considered wrong and then when satisfied that my claim was as good as it could be, take a copy before returning the form

The forms are not the easiest things to understand and the DWP do not help make it clear with what is required. For many people faced with filling out these forms it can be overwhelming and it may be better to seek advice and help where possible.
    As a last resort I would use the DWP service but having  completed the form I would not allow them to take the form away. I would want to read it or get someone I trust to do so. I would correct any part that I considered wrong and then when satisfied that my claim was as good as it could be, take a copy before returning the form

Not too sure of my facts here, but I would think that the DWP having helped with the form would most definitely want to take it with them. I have heard that the same applies to the CAB, they do not hand the completed form back instead they themselves post it after taking a copy for their own records.

I was in 2013 as well as in 2015 and in 2017 confused and completely not really understanding how to complete the PIP2 form. Eventually they were fudged and completed to a standard that I believed that the DWP wanted to see.
    Seeking help I have no problem with for others but they should be understanding that taking that advice or help is at the claimants own risk with no guarantees attached.
    Having used the help of CAB multiple times in the past, they don't send the forms for you. They copy the forms and give them back for you, for you to post yourself. Don't know about welfare rights, a law centre or DWP rep.
    Having used the help of CAB multiple times in the past, they don't send the forms for you. They copy the forms and give them back for you, for you to post yourself. Don't know about welfare rights, a law centre or DWP rep.
    Ah thanks Poppy, as I said I was not sure.
    But if when you get the forms back and ready for the post but notice errors and then correct them, what the CAB have will not be the same as what the DWP receive? I presume that you would copy them again? 
    ilovecats said:
    The forms I came across that had been filled out by the DWP, often were just ticks, no written information at all most of the time. A bit of a disservice to those who need help.
    Which is why i would never trust them to help fill out any of my forms.
  • djbantiquesdjbantiques Member Posts: 43 Connected
    As always face to face advice is the best way. Even using more than one organization if available and you want a second opinion.
    ilovecats said:
    The forms I came across that had been filled out by the DWP, often were just ticks, no written information at all most of the time. A bit of a disservice to those who need help.
    Which is why i would never trust them to help fill out any of my forms.
    And neither would I. Those who suggest otherwise are doing themselves and others a disservice 
    As always face to face advice is the best way. Even using more than one organization if available and you want a second opinion.
    Grief you are expecting a lot! Many on this site and those that I know including myself can't find one decent one to get any advice or help from never mind a couple of them for a second opinion.
    Sorry to change the subject, just a quick question as my son has an ESA in 2 days time. Do you have to tell them before hand if someone is going with the claimant? 
    wildlife said:
    Sorry to change the subject, just a quick question as my son has an ESA in 2 days time. Do you have to tell them before hand if someone is going with the claimant? 

I didn't for the PIP one which is similar although my wife just drove me there and was told that her presence in the assessment room was not necessary.
    wildlife said:
    No, no need to tell them. If you're his appointee then you have to go with him though.
    Oh dear I am his appointee but his Dad is his carer and knows a lot more about him as he see him everyday. I wasn't going to go because I can't cope with the stress. Just goes to show how inflexible the system is. 
    If you didn't attend with him then the assessment can't go ahead. This is the whole reason you're his appointee. It should state this in the letter you received about the face to face assessment.
    Appointee - yes, you speak for him.
    Carer - no legal right of audience unfortunately.
    Yadnad said:
    Grief you are expecting a lot! Many on this site and those that I know including myself can't find one decent one to get any advice or help from never mind a couple of them for a second opinion.
    Which is why I said if available.

Let me just clarify, you specifically said 'if available' to the latter part of your sentence - looking for a second opinion. You simply assumed that getting the first face to face advice session as automatic and as a matter of course.
    I pointed out that a great number of people including myself that would like help do not even get the offer of any quality help.
    Yadnad said:

Let me just clarify, you specifically said 'if available' to the latter part of your sentence - looking for a second opinion. You simply assumed that getting the first face to face advice session as automatic and as a matter of course.
    I pointed out that a great number of people including myself that would like help do not even get the offer of any quality help.
    There's plenty of face to face advice out there,  not always local which can prove problematic, but it's the best way to get advice and certainly better than relying on an online forum.
Sign in or join us to comment.