PIP 10 YEAR LIGHT TOUCH? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP 10 YEAR LIGHT TOUCH?

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, hope I’m posting this in the correct section. I’m expecting my 1 year review letter from DWP anytime now. My PIP claim is due to end March 22nd 2020. This would end my 4 year PIP award receiving enhanced/ enhanced. 

Below are some links to info i can muster up regarding the 10 year “light touch” awards for those on enhanced / enhanced PIP which would end the need for stressful reassments. I’m also aware that “light touch” hasn’t been fully outlined yet except for making sure the DWP have my correct bank details.

I have multiple health conditions that won’t improve and have been on PIP enhanced / enhanced for 5/6 years now.

Being on enhanced / enhanced (sorry for repeating) I’m thinking this could apply to me? 

Another reassessment letter could be in the post as I type this. It would just be comforting to not have that PIP clock ticking away in the back of my head. 

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-1113/UIN_174062_-_Award_period_guidance_10.10.18.pdf

https://community.mssociety.org.uk/forums/everyday-living/dwp-new-pip-guidance

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2018-12-20/HCWS1224

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3857-dwp-begins-moving-existing-pip-claimants-to-10-year-light-touch-reviews

Thanks!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's a lot of people that claim PIP and their conditions will never improve but they don't have 10 year awards with a light tough review.

When filling out your review form you need to put as much information about how your condition affect you as possible. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Treat it as a new claim, rather than just a simple review.

At the end in the more information box you can request an ongoing but you'll need evidence to prove your conditions won't improve. Also mention that if an ongoing award can't be given, what evidence did they use to justify the shorter award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Also to add to @poppy123456 said is worth noting. Poppy check youR PM...

Also to add as with the advice you've been given already. Also which is worth noting, the best way to fill your form is with short anecdotal sentences relevant to what you can and can't do, add the evidence which is of functional nature within your medical evidence, which relates to how your condition which best describe your disabilities or health condition(s) on a daily basis. Add diagnosis if you can, even having a diagnosis doesn't just automatically entitle you to ESA, or PIP. Your GP might or wouldn't know really how your day to day life is affected.

Im on a ongoing PIP with the so called light touch. Nothing has been published about it yet. To get that award I'm well and truly knackered and will never improve and was backed up with solid functional evidence.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• tcellmutation
    edited March 2019
    Thank you both for the detailed responses. I shall use this info to guide me through the next stage. Can I expect a letter now or could it be weeks, months down the line?

Also, is it worth phoning to prompt them?
  • poppy123456
    You will receive a review form anytime now. 14 days extension to return the form will be given if needed, all you need to do is ring and ask them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    edited March 2019
    Also as poppy has said.

The form you should recieve very soon or in the next couple of weeks, then if you still haven't heard I would call them and ask when it's due, and the form is called an AR1 which is a renewal form, fill it in as if it was a new claim. Let us know how you get on. Good luck
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• tcellmutation
    Ok will do. Thank you.
  • tcellmutation
    Another question to ask, thanks so much for this by the way. Shall I include new conditions and if so, shall I send all my diagnosis and letters, hospital appointments from my neurologists etc and how far back? I think I’ve read it’s 2 years. My ex wife used to take care of this. Got vast amounts of hospital appointments also. If I have to send both diagnosis and appointment letters I’m gunna need a bigger boat! Thanks

• poppy123456
    Future appointment letters aren't classed as evidence because it doesn't tell them anything about how your conditions affect you.

The evidence you should send should state how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

You should tell them about all of your conditions when filling out the form and fill it out as advised above.

As for the 2 year rule, i've always ignored this but do remember the best advice anyone can give you is less is more. Too much evidence and there's a very high chance it won't all be read. You also need to be very careful that once piece of evidence doesn't contradict another.
  • tcellmutation
    ilovecats said:
    Don’t send appointment letter, they are not helpful and just add unnecessary paperwork.
    Ok thank you
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    I was under the understanding that these 10 year awards would only be given to claimants who were suffering from serious deteriorating conditions such as Parkinsons and Motor Neurone Disease.
  • poppy123456
    twonker said:
    I was under the understanding that these 10 year awards would only be given to claimants who were suffering from serious deteriorating conditions such as Parkinsons and Motor Neurone Disease.
    You thought wrong. 10 years awards have also been given to other conditions if there's no chances of improved health in the future.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    ilovecats said:
    twonker said:
    If someone scores Enhanced-Enhanced and there is little chance of functional improvement then generally a 10 year review is given regardless of condition
    So surprised. I thought all of this kicked off with Parkinsons  and people being given short awards.
    So someone who has both a life limiting and deteriorating condition and is awarded enhanced/enhanced they should have been given a 10 year award? That doesn't fit in with a lady I know that had high/high DLA then was awarded enhanced/enhanced PIP yet was given a 3 year award and is currently going through a review and was awarded nothing for care and standard for mobility for 3 years. She is waiting for a Tribunal hearing. Is there a list of conditions that the 10 year award relates to?

She was diagnosed 18 months ago with final stage COPD amongst other debilitating conditions for over 10 years.
  • tcellmutation
    edited March 2019
    Just a minor update. Called PIP this morning and was told instead of the renewal form being sent out to me 1 year early (March 22nd 2019) I’ll receive the form 6 before (September 22nd 2019). PIP end date March 22nd 2020)
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @twonker - I haven't seen any guidance on 10 year awards but there is a list of conditions which wouldn't normally require a face to face assessment, assuming the level of disability claimed doesn't seem to be excessive.

The examples they give are:-

"Severe neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, severely disabling stroke..."

edited March 2019
    Just a minor update. Called PIP this morning and was told instead of the renewal form being sent out to me 1 year early (March 22nd 2019) I’ll receive the form 6 before (September 22nd 2019). PIP end date March 22nd 2020)

@tcellmutation seems odd, if you look on your original award letter it should tell you when a review is likely.

At the moment you've said it's til 22nd of March 2020, if you look down the form it should state the date of 22nd March 2019.

So why the DWP are saying another six months 22nd September 19 before the end of your award does seems very odd.

As I know all 2,3,4,5 upto 10 year awards have a review date a year before, I would re phone the DWP again to definitely confirm that right.

The only awards that don't have an end date is an ongoing PIP award which I have and there is know end date on my letter.
    ⬇️

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @twanker - further to my post above I've had a look on the DWP website and can't find any mention of 10 year reviews, only 'no review required'. This is the guidance for that (updated November 2018)

1.10.3 The following are illustrative examples of when it may be appropriate to advise ‘no review required’:
    • no review required – ‘His learning disability has been present since birth and his functional limitations are unlikely to change now. He lives in supported accommodation and there has been no change to his functional ability in the last few years. A review is not likely to be considered necessary.’

• no review required – ‘The claimant has motor neurone disease with high levels of functional impairment in the daily living and mobility activities. He requires significant support from his carer and his needs are only likely to increase due to the progressive nature of his condition.’

edited March 2019
    cristobal said:
    @twonker - I haven't seen any guidance on 10 year awards but there is a list of conditions which wouldn't normally require a face to face assessment, assuming the level of disability claimed doesn't seem to be excessive.

The examples they give are:-

"Severe neurological conditions such as multiple sclerosis, motor neurone disease, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, severely disabling stroke..."
    @cristobal let me explain regarding ongoing PIP awards I have have many severe and disabling conditions and which will never improve conditions.

They can be given for many, many conditions. I didn't have a face to face and I'm knackered in other words all my evidence and conditions prove o will neve get beter.

As you can see here. I don't need another review. I'm paralysed on my right side, Stage 3 COPD and many others.

⬇️

• tcellmutation
    edited March 2019
    I have encephalitis which has caused damage to the right side of my brain. This will always be with me. It causes problems daily, motor skills, walking, falling, memory (that’s a biggy), type 1 diabetes, seizures, underactive thyroid, pernicious anemia. I know it’s not the conditions you have but how much toll they have on daily life. My toll is great and leads to enhanced / enhanced. What I am trying to achieve here is to lower the stress levels of the regular reviews. I will call them back at 16:00 and see if I get the same response.

Just to add add to this...my last award letter says “because your condition to unlikely to change I have extended your award and will not contact you before March 22nd 2019”

Weird!
    edited March 2019
    No disrespect @tcellmutation I've replied to your post about why you have been told you won't get a form till 22nd September 19. Please read the reply I've giving you above...

Now to your condition you need to show you meet those needs to recieve an ongoing award for PIP.

Follow my advice and explain and make sure you Medical evidence backed up by everything you say.

Also to add as with the advice you've been given already. Also which is worth noting, the best way to fill your form is with short anecdotal sentences relevant to what you can and can't do, add the evidence which is of functional nature within your medical evidence, which relates to how your condition which best describe your disabilities or health condition(s) on a daily basis. Add diagnosis if you can, even having a diagnosis doesn't just automatically entitle you to ESA, or PIP. Your GP might or wouldn't know really how your day to day life is affected.
    ⬇️

• tcellmutation
    No disrespect @tcellmutation I've replied to your post about why you have been told you won't get a form till 22nd September 19. Please read the reply I've giving you above...

Now to your condition you need to show you meet those needs to recieve an ongoing award for PIP.

Follow my advice and explain and make sure you Medical evidence backed up by everything you say.

Okay great. I’ll call them back. Evidence isn’t a problem and never has been so that’s all 100% not an issue. I’m on first name basis with GP’s, Pharmacists, and Neurologists?‍♂️
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.