PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

PIP cheat

baldeaglebaldeagle Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hi, very long story, but in short I helped a young person out who had a number of personal /mental health / drug issues, I invited them into my home and
my family, after nearly 12 months I could no longer support them ( too volatile) and had to ask them to back off and leave my family alone. During the 12 months I had shared a lot of details about my disability (MS) and that I received Pip and had a mobility car, I have now received a letter from PIP asking me to complete another application form, when I telephoned them to ask why I had the form they said they couldn’t tell me. I have put 2&2 together and realised this ex friend has reported me to pip, they knew I had difficulty walking but not all the time, I have good and bad days. I attended the 1st PIP assessment in a wheelchair as it was a bad day. I’m really worried that the DWP have evidence of me walking ( with a stick) and will remove my benefit. I’m having sleepless nights now worrying about it, I’m NOT a cheat but I’m sure they will have twisted things to make me look bad. 

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 7,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @baldeagle welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened, could it be that your claim is due to be reviewed? How long is your award for?
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • baldeaglebaldeagle Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Ami2301 thanks for the reply, no it’s not due for renew until 2021, also the way the chap on the phone was answering my questions, made me think something was wrong.  I feel like I’m been watched all the time, I just don’t want to be branded a cheat we all have good and bad days, I don’t  have the energy to fight. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,310 Disability Gamechanger
    As it stands:

- who reported what is irrelevant. It’s not what you need to focus on and will be a distraction to retaining your PIP. However, if you had been reported at all DWP would either call you in for an interview under caution or quietly get on with videoing you if they thought it appropriate and then call you in depending on what the video showed. They’ve done neither. They’ve sent you a form. Every year a certain number of people get randomly reviewed as part of quality checking. That seems the more likely scenario here. I fear your relationship with your ex-friend and this may be entirely coincidental. You’ve possibly put 2 and 2 together and made 22. 

- PIP is not about what you can do. It’s about what you can reliably do. Having good/bad days or walking with a stick say nothing about reliability i.e. being able to show you can sometimes walk is neither here nor there. The firm will have a deadline but this can always be extended. This is your chance to get face to face advice and help with the form filling to ensure any review goes as well as it can. 

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @baldeagle and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear you are having to go through the process again, this must be very stressful! Try your best not to think about a potential complaint, I know that's hard. Everyone will have good and bad days with their health, I know I do! This will have an impact on our abilities. If you need any support in filling out the form then please do let us know. 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,934 Scope community team
    A warm welcome to the community @baldeagle. I'm so sorry to read you're having to go through this. 

Just be as honest as you can on the form, everyone has good and bad days. Please let us know if we can help you at all. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.