Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Getting involved in Disability Training as a career?

GarzaGarza Member Posts: 119 Pioneering
edited June 2019 in Employment and careers
I am interested in becoming involved in disability awareness training/consultancy, preferably as a self employed person, I have no idea where to start, are there courses I can take or as a lifelong wheelchair user would that be enough? 

Replies

• Matt_ScopeMatt_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 56 Pioneering
    there are a number of wheelchair skills training opportunities potentially available through charities such as Whizz-kidz and Get kids going etc and disability sports specific training opportunities available within sport and leisure if that's your thing.  I would possibly look at starting out that way and then building experience and an awareness of whats out there.  Of the training consultants that I know working in areas of accessibility, some have legal backgrounds, others just a lot of experience and have worked in DPOs etc.  I am sure other people will come up with other ways of accessing this line of work, but hopefully this gives you some ideas. 
Sign in or join us to comment.