Wanting to interview a parent of children with special needs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wanting to interview a parent of children with special needs

AnnaSmith
AnnaSmith Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm in grad school and I have to interview a parent of children with special needs. I will appreciate any help.
Thank you in advice
Ann

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AnnaSmith welcome to the community! Could you tell us a bit more about what you are looking for with regards to parents with a child who has special needs?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • AnnaSmith
    There  are 10 questions from a parent perspective:

1-Tell me about your child and describe the special needs/disability your child has.

2.    Talk about what happens in a typical day with your child.

3.    What is your child’s likes/interests?

4.    How is school going for your child?

5.    Are they currently learning things at the grade level they should be?

6.    What special services or extra materials does your child need for school time?

7.    Do you feel your child’s educational needs are being met and what are some things you would like to change about his/her education?

8.    What medical things is your child involved in? This includes things like speech therapy, communication classes, etc.

9.    If your child is in special education, talk about their IEPs. Are these helpful in your opinion?

10.  Any advice you could give to parents who have just found out their child has special needs?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello

1-My son is 2 and has a birth defect of the spine called SB. He is in a wheelchair full time.
    2-A typical day involves me cathing him often. We do his therapy too.
    3- Keeping us busy, art and reading are my son’s primary hobbies now.
    4- We are a homeschooling family.
    5- Not applicable (see above)
    6- Not applicable (see my response to question 4)
    7- Yes. I love homeschooling.
    8- He has physical therapy once a week. Additionally we have several hospital appointments.
    9- Does not apply (see my answer to Q4)
    10- Accept help early on. You cannot do this alone. Research and make lists of questions to ask doctors.  
  • AnnaSmith
    Thank you so much
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AnnaSmith, I hope you are getting on well with this :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.