Prinzmetal variant angina caused by breathing in cold air. More than 28 days abroad? - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prinzmetal variant angina caused by breathing in cold air. More than 28 days abroad?

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Claiming housing benefit won't affect you receiving the DL part of PIP because that's not counted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clasship
    clasship Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Options
    Poppy, I am taking so much of your time, sorry for this, then I hope and pray the DWP are withholding DL payment simply on the misguided belief I live in a care home and not as I do. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. Yes, that will be the exact reason why they are not paying the DL part.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • clasship
    Options
    Maybe, just maybe I'll drop to my knees put my hands together and no longer be an atheist. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @clasship   Please if I could suggest then . Ask you Doctor to say where you live. A letter or use the Warden of your home to send a letter in.

If you did contact any of the links I mentioned might offer floating support.

I had an issue with DWP.  Used support worker sent letter in with evidence and other relevant information, no problems .

Other options are you a Christian use The Salvation Army often have their own services connected to welfare, health well being and support.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

https://www.redcross.org.uk.

Both supported members of our community.

Please hope that helps further.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • clasship
    Options
    thespiceman, thank you once again. As I am in Asia for 28 days to avoid the cold UK air that causes me documented heart attacks galore, and don't return until 26.12.2019, I have just written a letter and emailed to my brother in the UK to print and post to the DWP. Included in the letter is contact information of the warden. 
  • clasship
    Options
    At last I received the news the DWP are to pay me the Daily Living enhanced component clearly they had assumed I was in a care home, well I might be soon, more of that later. My brother also told me I am allowed 13 weeks abroad, albeit i don't know if that's per year or per trip. It's a bit difficult as I am in Asia at the moment breathing in warm air, but not feeling great. On Sunday afternoon I felt a heart attack coming on, you may recall I have had 19, so I knew to call my friends here and as they know my history they called an ambulance immediately without doing what most people would do and wait until someone had come over to judge for themselves. I had a myocardial infarct (Blood clot in my heart) and after a 40 minute ride swapping roadside from one ambulance without oxygen to one with oxygen and more qualified staff, made to the government's hospital. I don't know what the damage is, only time will tell, but I feel very, very truly stuffed. Needless to say I am sure the stress I had from the non payment of Daily Living PIP component was very likely to have caused my 20th heart attack. I offer this to anyone reading, if you get chest pains call an ambulance immediately, do not procrasitinate, time is everything. 

A very, very big thank you to all those who supported me so brilliantly though this PIP application and my request to spend more than 28 days abroad. You help and advice made a huge difference. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    Just as i thought you would have been paid the daily living part. I'm glad it's been sorted.

As for the 13 weeks abroad, yes that's correct for PIP and it's 13 weeks at any one time. This was advised to you in one of your other threads.

However, as you're also claiming ESA  then the rules for this are different and it's no more than 28 days at any one time. The day you leave and the day you return are not counted in those days. 13 weeks maybe allowed for ESA if you're receiving treatment while you're abroad.

I'm also sorry to hear what happened and i hope you're feeling a little better soon. Stress can indeed bring on a lot of extra health issues.
  • clasship
    Options
    Poppy,

I'll have to deal with 13 weeks and ESA when I have more strength, the info came from my brother, and initially I asked for more then 28 days without affecting ESA. I can only hope somehow I can receive ESA if I am away more than 28 days, but you clearly know the rules. I really need to just get over this latest heart attack, for now I am not out of the woods yet, far from it,  have heart pains as I write this. Many thanks.   
  • clasship
    Options
    They say stress is a killer, well on Sunday 15.12.2019 I had a heart attack, and on Friday 20.12.2019 I had another heart attack (number 21) and a stroke, now I have lost my speech. The UK  bank thought when I paid the first hospital bill here on Koh Samui that it was fraudulent, so stopped my card. Clearly I must have killed a liter of puppies and kittens somewhere in my past and am only being punished for it now. The backdated Daily Living component that was awarded but not paid because the DWP thought I lived in a care home but don't, has not been paid into my account like the backdated Mobility. I feel like Rasputin, The DWP are trying to kill me off with stress in conjunction with my bank. Is there a procedural reason the DWP have not paid the backdated DL award having confessed they had made a dogs diner of the decision to withhold it?  
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hello  @clasship   Sorry to hear this please I will tag in   @poppy123456

To see how we can help  what else the lady can advise you.

I will  pray for you and please wish you well.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear all this stress has caused all that!

As DWP have decided their decision was wrong not to pay you the daily living award it can take 3-5 working days for it to go into your bank from the day they pay you. If it’s not received by tomorrow then you will need to contact them and ask because they are the only ones that can tell you why you haven’t received it. 
  • clasship
    Options
    Poppy, it's longer than 3 days, I will email my brother to contact them, I believe he has informed the DWP of the first HA.Thai immigration extended my visa 45 days having seen the hospitals paperwork I had the first heart attack. Please can you confirm the DWP won't now withhold ESA or anything else as I will eventually have been out the uK for the allowed 28 days ans the visa extension for 45 days as I am not permitted to fly. Is it too much to expect any financial help from DWP? The hospital bills are already well over all the backdated PIP,  and I had to buy two new flights to get home ,once again I won't have a penny. I try not to worry, they can't get rid of the clot doing the damage anyway and they say I need a stent, I don't have the funds for that to be done here. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    3-5 days depending on who you bank with. 

For ESA it’s 28 days as you are exceeding that the you will need to report the changes to ESA once you reach the 28th day. It can be extended for medical treatment but whether this will be extended for that time I don’t know because you were already out of the country. Only a decision maker can make that decision. 

Did you not take out travel insurance before you left the UK? 
  • clasship
    Options
    The reason I was in Thailand (where I lived for 5 years) was to breathe in warm air because I suffer Prinzmetal Variant Angina. The reason I started this post. 

So regarding insurance, well I would have, but with a grand total of 21 heart attacks fr0m the year 2000, maybe 20 or more arrythmias that required me to be defibbed, a major stroke in 2003 and suffering heart attacks breathing in air up to 14c (57f) after approaching 37 insurance companies they answer was no we won't insure you, and we doubt anyone will.  I must add, I don't blame them, I wouldn't insure me. 
  • clasship
    Options
    I forgot two failed by-passes and an ejection fraction of 20, told 21 on a good day. With any day being a good day above ground. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So sorry to hear this @clasship, this must have been so scary! I hope @poppy123456's advice has been helpful!
    Scope

• clasship
    Options
    If I had a pound for everytime someone said i should write a book, I would have no money worries, and I would not have any need to exaggerate (not that that is my style) because of so many unusual events in my life. I mean who has to breathe in warm air from a hair dryer for most of the year to go out the front door? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A book would be interesting @clasship! How have you been doing?
    Scope

• clasship
    Options

I am finding self help speech rehab harder than it should be because I am very short of breath from the heart attacks. My first heart attack was in 2000 scuba diving in the Red Sea on SS Thistlegorm (look that up ship on Google) , a ship sunk in 1941 carrying trucks, motorbikes and munitions. I was 100 foot down. By buddy was not looking after his partner, an swam off into the wreck. Long story, but I survived that.

Then a year later one on a race track and then one when I arrived in A&E, I died, but was in the right place. Then a massive stroke in 2003, and I did not need telling again to get on with my bucket list. So I sold up in the UK bought a yacht and lived on that for 8 years with crew. After selling the yacht I bought my dream car, a mint signal red series 3 V12 Jaguar e-type convertible and spent two summers touring the EU.

Then I lived in Thailand to continue breathing in warm air. Since 2000 I suffered a total of 21 heart attacks, now two strokes, over 20 arrhythmia's where I needed defibbing, plus the public and hospitals resuscitating me. In 2015 I had a AT node ablation that stopped me having arrhythmia's.  With suffering Prinzmetal Variant Angina  since 2003 I have had may attacks including heart attacks, including leaving aircraft in the UK from cold air in the corridor from the plane to the terminal. Two bypasses failed in 2007 & 200 which were the cause of several heart attacks. My cardiologist says I am unique, and uses me as an example to those who just had a heart attack or their families who are worried for the future. He tells them to just get on with life as I have.

As for a book, well I remember each event where I did not know if I would die, and if I did would my ICD see it, or would it take someone's intervention, as was the case 60% of the time. I never knew if I would come back, that was the torture for me. I say that, well there was one occasion on 17th December 2015 where I had an arrhythmia and died. After 6 shocks I came back, only for my ICD to malfunction and give me 6 more shocks whilst I was fully conscious. That was really scary as there is no warning and I did not know if and when the ICD would stop shocking me. The ICD's battery ran so low I had to get on a plane and fly back to the UK, it was an ambulance from Heathrow, and not for the first time or last.

So there we have it 21 heart attacks, 2 strokes, arrhythmia's galore and many, many Prinzmetal attacks sometimes ending in a heart attack. Of course I can't get insurance so that makes my predicament even worse. I either live abroad over winter and risk enormous medical bills or live in the UK where I can only go out if I breathe warm air from my 12 volt hair dryer run from a rechargeable 12 volt battery.

It's been an interesting life, that's for sure, a life I would think most people simply find hard to believe, but it's 100% accurate, and there is more. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.