Sciatica — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Jasminej Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi this is my first time post. 
Basically I've had sciatica for 3 years . I've been to pip and esa meetings 2 years go I didn't get the grant as they said I was fit for work so I went and got a job and tbh I'm so much worse 😔 I've had steroid injections physio and coming to the end of my hydrotherapy. I'm not getting better I'm getting worse to the point I can't take my own children to school having to get friends to take them to and from . I just was to no if anyone manage to get pip or esa? I don't no what eles to do other then claim. I'm not loving life as I can't be a mum to my children😭 xx thanks for reading x


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,654 Disability Gamechanger

    Firstly PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. When you previously applied and were refused did you request the mandatory reconsideration the Tribunal if that failed? If you didn't was there any reasons why?

    You can start a new claim but you'll need evidence to support that claim and a face to face assessment will most likely be needed because most have them. Take a look at the PIP descriptors to see where you think you should score those points to see if you think you're entitled to anything. This guide will help you have more understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

    ESA... because you previously claimed this and were found fit for work then you will only be able to make a new claim for either a worsening condition of the same condition you previously applied for or a completely new condition, otherwise you won't be able to make a new claim.

    Also because all areas are now a full Universal credit area if you haven't worked and paid enough NI contributions in the tax years April 2016 to March 2018 you won't be able to claim New style ESA, it will have to be UC and claiming this will depend on your circumstances and household income/savings and capital because it's a means tested benefit. If you're claiming tax credits then these will stop and transfer to UC.

    However, are you still working? If so then have you spoke to your employer about reasonable adjustments? If you haven't then you need to do this. If you still can't cope with working then SSP is payable for 28 weeks, with a fit note from your GP.

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,565 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jasminej and a very warm welcome to the community. I'm really sorry to hear your health is getting worse. I understand how daunting this can be.

    I hope @poppy123456's information regarding benefits has been helpful.

    How are you doing today?


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.