Tribunal representative — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Tribunal representative

hindun8889 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I've just found out I have been awarded zero points at MR stage of PIP. This is my third 4th time applying in a number of years and each time I gave up at this stage due to social anxiety. Over the past year I've not left the house once due to my anxiety so it would make a tribunal very difficult for me. Does anyone know of any options I may have regarding this? I have a partner who would be willing to go in my place however I'm unsure that is even wise or allowed? Thank you 


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hindun8889 and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear this, I imagine this has been very stressful. Unfortunately the majority of decisions need to go to tribunal to change. Is your partner your appointed person who deals with your benefit claims?

    Here is more information about a tribunal.

    If you do decide to go forward with this I hope the community will be able to support you. Have you ever gained face to face advice? 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,413 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm afraid your partner will not be able to go to the Tribunal in place of you, you will need to attend the hearing yourself.

    You can request a telephone hearing.

    Or you can request a paper based decision. Do be aware that paper based decision success is between 5-8% and appearing in person jumps massively to 74%. Is your partner able to go with you?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,553

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @hindun8889.

    I'm really sorry to read your claim has been turned down again. Your best chance is to go to tribunal but I do understand how difficult that can be. A telephone hearing may be a good option for you?
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @hindun8889

    As @Chloe_Scope as kindly pointed out. You could seek your partner becoming your Appointee in relationship with benefits from the DWP.

    Appointee’s are recognised by the Tribunal and you would not have to attend.

    If you feel your partner can assist you, then this is worthy of your consideration.

    You could also request that the Tribunal takes place in your home.

    Keep us informed.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.