PIP APPEAL HEARING EXPERIENCE - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP APPEAL HEARING EXPERIENCE

Options

Comments

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456
    I've messaged her to do just that. I doubt though the office will be opened as it is St Patrick's tomorrow.  
    By the way Happy St Patrick's day to you and all here.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    @poppy123456 and @Adrian_Scope
    As promised I'd let you know if I phoned pip today and the outcome. I rang pip ha in northern Ireland here this morning to ask about back dated payments after my pip appeal win on feb 3rd. I was informed that they at pip do not have any action on it because capita have it because of my forth coming reassessment on march 10th...I asked surely this should not be and the girl asked me was this march 10th assessment to do with the previous assessment  and I said no it's a new one as my time is up in july . She said shed make a note that I phoned and was anxious about my pip appeal win and make a note for the team at pip to contact capita to see what is happening. She also suggested I do same. .I've been trying to do that for two hours now but capita number is just going dead. I think they may have closed shop 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Update..I've just come off the phone with capita in belfast who say that they are not withholding my pip monies or anything to do with the appeal. They do however say they know I've an assessment on march 26th and that will now be a telephone assessment instead of the hone visit due to covid19.
    It looks like someone is withholding my pip appeal win backdated monies until after this assessment.  But no one is taking responsibility for it. This march 26th assessment has nothing to do with the appeal win it's a reassessment that would be taking place as my old award is up in july anyhow.but the ppl on both ends of pip limavady and capita belfast just cant seem to get it through their thick sculls

Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Ok folks apologises for use of thick sculls not all of them are thick...
    So heres a further update. I rang pip limavady again and spoke to one lady who fully understood what my query was about and she told me that pip limavady had received word that I had won my appeal on February 12th and it normally can take 6 weeks maybe longer to sort out details and send letter out and pay out backdated monies. Great news then at last I said someone who understands.  Them she asked me if I received supplentary payment I told her yes from sept to Sept last yr for 12 months and she said that will have to be deducted which I acknowledged I understood.  So she said that will hold things up a little longer but hopefully not too long. Then she said because I'm due another assessment on march 26th my back dated monies could be held up until after that assessment which she understands will now be by telephone.  I told her I didnt understand why my back dated monies should be held up because of this forthcoming assessment which would be happening anyhow as my old award is due up in july. She suggested that maybe theyll compare notes 
    Any ideas or comments please do post dear members because I'm just shattered with thinking
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Question...has any member had a pip telephone assessment  recently and if so how long in average do they last? 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @male45. It sounds like they're giving you the run-around at the moment, no wonder you're confused. I'd be feeling pretty fed up.
    I don't see why your upcoming assessment should have any impact on your owed backpay from the tribunal win. 
    With regards to the PIP assessment, sadly there's no real guide. A few people have mentioned being on the phone for no more than 10 minutes and others have reported it taking nearer an hour. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • male45
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope
    Hi adrian, yes I feel I'm getting the runaround  that's how my luck goes usually, I dont think they like being beaten at tribunals or they dont like me. Capita I'd say are going to compare my appeal results what was awarded to the phone call next week then inform pip. Hopefully after that I'll get monies owed...maybe. 
    I'm hoping for a ten minute call if it lasts longer I'll be as grumpy as hell as I'm useless on phones.
    I am concerned about going out and visitors to the house with this virus going round. So glad no one is coming here for assessment. 
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Well, as f2f assessments are postponed I've just received a text from dwp to say same and to let me know my assessment will be by telephone at the time I was to have a f2f on Tuesday morning. They also said the assessors number will be witheld...so 9.15am tuesday morning. I've never had to talk about my illness ever by telephone to anyone.
    Beat wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Can anyone give examples what questions they ask for telephone assessments? Also how on earth can they tell how far you can walk over a phone.
    Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That won't be possible to answer that question because it will depend how your conditions affect you, as to what questions will be asked.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • male45
    Options
    Thank you both @poppy123456 and @Username_removed I'll just wait and see what they ask and report back how the phone call went hoping it helps others
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Hi everyone. The following has just been announced for people here in Northern Ireland 

Explaining further, the Minister said: “These new measures are in addition to the suspension of face-to-face assessments for all benefits which I announced last week. They are effective from today for a three month period and will see the suspension of:

· all new reviews and reassessments for Personal Independence Payment;

· all re-referrals for Work Capability Assessments across Employment Support Allowance and Universal Credit. People in receipt of ESA and UC whose cases have been referred to the provider will be contacted to take this forward;

· all reassessment/renewal activity on other health and disability benefits including Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit, Disability Living Allowance for both children and those aged 65+, and Attendance Allowance.

“Arrangements will be put in place to extend awards that have an end date to ensure benefit remains in payment. If people experience a change in their needs they are still encouraged to contact the Department to ensure they are receiving the correct level of support.”

“During these very challenging times my priority continues to be protecting the health and well-being of those using and delivering these vital services across our communities. My Department will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.”

This is a direct quote from Deirdre Hatgey Minister for Communities Northern Ireland. 

Now I'm due a phone call reassessment  in thirsday morning. I wonder will this now go ahead?

Has any news come out in England Scotland or Wales like this??

Best wishes

Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    The following is from the official NIGov website so it's not a rumour which I first thought...

https://www.communities-ni.gov.uk/news/hargey-introduces-further-measures-protect-most-vulnerable-and-their-families

I'm still confused if my telephone assessment will go ahead on Thursday morning. Also it mentions with an 'end date' I wonder is this a clause..my benefit 8s up in july 19th..

Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Update to my assessment way back on March 26th
    I phoned them today and they told me they posted the pip results on August 21st.. that has not arrived i told them so I'd like to hear now by phone and then told them to repost .
    They awarded me standard daily living and standard mobility. 
    I was awarded enhanced daily living on my appeal in Feb just a few weeks prior to assessment  and award mobilty which I'd lost and my reason for going to appeal in first place.
    Now I feel ill be appealing this result after I'm of course turned down on MR
    SO, thats it
    Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the decision. I would like to add though that MR decisions have been alot more successful since Covid19 and the figure and gone from 17% success to a huge 54%. Just don't ask me how that's happened. Good luck with the MR and hopefully, you'll be one of the many members here that's had the MR decision chamged in their favour.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @male45 Ah, that's a shame and I understand you wanting to appeal.

As @poppy123456 said things are looking more optimistic in regards MR decisions so fingers crossed for you.  Keep positive and you know where we are for support.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • male45
    Options
    @poppy123456 and @Cher_Scope
    Thank you both for your support.
    I'll update with MR result whenever that happens.
    Fingers crossed ? 
    Best Wishes 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hope all goes well with your MR @male45 - as mentioned, the success rate has improved dramatically, so there couldn't be a better time to go through a MR. :)
  • male45
    Options
    Thank you everyone..I'm waiting for the paperwork to arrive from the dwp to show me the points I got and lost and compare woth appeal boards scores. Then I'll check with the rep and discuss it all. If awarded for more than 2 yrs then I might lt it go and not appeal

Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Options
    Update:
    I received the paperwork from PIP just now. They reduced my enhanced daily living by 5 points from.13 to 9. They increased my mobilty from 8 to 10. 
    They awarded me pip from August 26th 2020 until March 25th 2023. 
    I'll be 67 July 2023 so I wonder what happens between March and July 2023 by stopping at March 2023 does this mean no further pip award  because I'll be turning 67 which I think is pension age.
    Talking things over with my wife and repnive decided to accept the award. Last time my bp shot up for months and it took various levels of meds to bring it under control. It also took 18 months to get to appeal all for 5 minutes to win. Dwp couldve saved all of us hassle.
    With covid on rise and God knows what next yr I can invisage another 18 months plus to appeal. MR I know ppl have had success but I never have luck so not even asking for it.
    Last time I had good vibes I'd win. This time I dont so I stop when ahead. Am I a mug? 
    Anyhow by time I received my letter a whole month has gone my as it is dated August 26th .

Best wishes
    Best Wishes 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.