Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
As a community champion here on scope, I think this is probably the first time i've ever posted a thread about myself. Usually i just give advice to others and forget about myself...typical of me...lol. I'm not even sure if i'm posting this in the correct place, so sorry if it's wrong and please feel free to move it.. BUT i'm so excited this evening i needed to share my news!!!!
We all know just how difficult it is to find a landlord that accepts those claiming DSS. It seems like we are all "shoved" in a corner and treated -cough- differently. I spent 9 months constantly searching the internet, pulling my hair out at times with pure frustration when i try to contact a landlord or agency and i'm ignored. Some don't even have the manners to reply. Makes me so mad.
A couple of weeks ago a viewed a lovely 2 bedroom house, just 20 minutes from my eldest daughter. Front and back garden, very low maintenance because gardening is my worst nightmare lol. I loved the house but didn't want to build my hopes just incase i was refused.
I needed a guarantor and luckily that wasn't a problem for me, my eldest daughter very kindly agreed. She knows there will never be any problems, having rented for 12 years i've never been in rent arrears.
After waiting almost 2 weeks for the all the checks, references etc today i had a phone call from the agency to say that they have accepted me as a tenant!!!! I''m so excited, if i could jump up and down i would.
They allow pets so i'll be taking my cat Alfie with me and of course my youngest daughter.
I've lived in a ground floor flat for over 2 years and hated every minute of it, so finally being able to move into a house is so exciting. Just 1 month from now and i'll be moving in.....I have my son-in-law and several of his male friends to help with the move and a van free from where he works.I just need to do the worst bit......PACK
I'll be away from the internet for a short time while i move and could potentially have no internet access until i'm reconnected. I will of course let admin know when, just in case you wonder where i am
Super excited and doing the happy dance "in my head" haha.
Wish me luck!
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 757 Work and employment
- 577 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 675 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.