new opinion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new opinion

Options
pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
Hi, this could be a long story, but I`ll try to shorten it...after all it has been 20 years!
When I was 45/46 I began falling..my left leg felt like wood..then I had foot drop and stiffness in my legs and spasms in my arms. 

My bladder and bowels were very unpredictable. I had supra pubic catheter fitted.

I was diagnosed with Primary Progressive MS. Within a very short time I became a wheelchair user....

10 yeas later, the MS diagnosis was exchanged to Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia

A few years later I had a genetic test, which was negative. So my HSP label was changed to a big fat ?

I saw 16 neurologists in as many years. No-one could diagnose me!

2 years ago, I was discharged from the neuro department.

I had to accept and just get on with it.

Last week I was given a new chance at being diagnosed.

I`m hoping to get a referral to The Walton Centre in Liverpool. It is the only neuroscience hospital in UK, with top professors and doctors.

Maybe I will get that elusive diagnosis, eh? I am not expecting miracles!

Comments

• Vixster89
    Vixster89 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    Hi @pollyanna1052

That's quite a journey you've been on! I've also been down the 'diagnosed then taken away' route. It's not easy but fingers crossed you get the correct diagnosis and *hopefully* treatment that will help improve your symptoms. Please let me know how you get on if you get your referral!

Good luck,

Vicki
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good luck @pollyanna1052! I agree time for a second opinion. Keep us posted. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Fingers crossed for you @pollyanna1052. I hope you get the referral you want and that they're able to finally get to the bottom of things. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    Hi all.
    Well what about this!
    I`ve been disabled for 20 years and was discharged from Halifax neurology 2 years ago. No-one could find out what caused my condition or what it`s called.
    Result....ZILCH!

I am unable to walk or stand or do most of my own personal care.

I`ve just got a referral to The Walton Centre in Liverpool. It is a centre of excellence in neuroscience.

I`m going to be looked at again. I`m not expecting a miracle, but just a diagnosis would be good.
    The appointment is 6th |Nov....isnt that quick. My GP arranged it. Fingers crossed.
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    My GP was happy to refer me. He made an appointment there and then for me. 6th November. That`s quick eh?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pollyanna1052, I really hope the appointment is beneficial and that you can get some answers! :) 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.