Car insurance for ex-motability customer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Car insurance for ex-motability customer

Redeemed
Redeemed Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
edited January 2020 in Transport and travel
So the dreaded hand back of car to Motability nears and I'm scouring the cheapies at local dealers for a car.
I rang RSA and was told I would have to wait for a letter detailing my claims history which isn't conducive to getting a quote atm.
I have been using Confused.com, RSA recommended Autonet but I'm not convinced I should have to pay 7p a minute to ring them!
Anyone find or know of a good insurer?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You'll need to shop around to find the cheapest quote. Everyone is different and it depends on a lot of things, age and area that you live being just 2 of them.

Some will accept the letter from RSA and some won't. It will also depend on whether you were the main driver of the mobility vehicle.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    I use price comparison sites and then buy through Quidco cashback site. You can still obtain quotes without proof of no claims discount. 

I actually renewed mine today and earned £30 by buying it via Quidco.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Redeemed, how are things doing?
    Scope

• Redeemed
    Hi Chloe just got off the phone sorting my insurance. My findings are:
    Confused.com get the cheapest quotes
    The AA generally offer the cheapest prices.
    It will cost more than the screen price as an underwriter has to find a broker who will take ex-motability.
    I am buying a 57 plate Zafira and screen price insurance was £331. Final price from underwriter was £350.
    Some places quoted close on £1000 BEFORE knowing I was ex-motability!
    Autonet definitely NOT the cheapest for me.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Looks like you are making some real progress though @Redeemed! I hope it continues to go okay. :)
    Scope

• Redeemed
    all sorted thanks  - got best deal through AA. Important thing DO NOT rely on the price generated by online quote systems, being ex-motability it comes down to an individual risk assessor at the company getting you thge best price.

• Chloe_Scope
    Glad to hear you got it sorted @Redeemed!
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update, I’ve been following this thread with interest in case I am in the same position in a couple of years.
  • skullcap
    skullcap Posts: 169 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    I didn't realise that there could be an issue with proving NCB and getting a decent quote whilst having had a Motability car. So thankful that I never went down that route although I could have done for the past 20 years. I never could find the car that I would want to drive. I lease a new Mercedes GLC SUV every 3 years for not much more than my PIP mobility payment. The only expense is the insurance which works out at about £365 a year. All of the other ongoing costs are in with the lease payments excluding car tax which I don't pay anyhow.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.