Motability, Blue Badges and disabled motoring
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Car insurance for ex-motability customer

RedeemedRedeemed Member Posts: 38 Courageous
So the dreaded hand back of car to Motability nears and I'm scouring the cheapies at local dealers for a car.
I rang RSA and was told I would have to wait for a letter detailing my claims history which isn't conducive to getting a quote atm.
I have been using Confused.com, RSA recommended Autonet but I'm not convinced I should have to pay 7p a minute to ring them!
Anyone find or know of a good insurer?

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You'll need to shop around to find the cheapest quote. Everyone is different and it depends on a lot of things, age and area that you live being just 2 of them.

Some will accept the letter from RSA and some won't. It will also depend on whether you were the main driver of the mobility vehicle.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 683 Pioneering
    edited December 2019
    I use price comparison sites and then buy through Quidco cashback site. You can still obtain quotes without proof of no claims discount. 

I actually renewed mine today and earned £30 by buying it via Quidco.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Redeemed, how are things doing?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • RedeemedRedeemed Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Hi Chloe just got off the phone sorting my insurance. My findings are:
    Confused.com get the cheapest quotes
    The AA generally offer the cheapest prices.
    It will cost more than the screen price as an underwriter has to find a broker who will take ex-motability.
    I am buying a 57 plate Zafira and screen price insurance was £331. Final price from underwriter was £350.
    Some places quoted close on £1000 BEFORE knowing I was ex-motability!
    Autonet definitely NOT the cheapest for me.
    Looks like you are making some real progress though @Redeemed! I hope it continues to go okay. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • RedeemedRedeemed Member Posts: 38 Courageous
    all sorted thanks  - got best deal through AA. Important thing DO NOT rely on the price generated by online quote systems, being ex-motability it comes down to an individual risk assessor at the company getting you thge best price.

Glad to hear you got it sorted @Redeemed!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,293 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update, I’ve been following this thread with interest in case I am in the same position in a couple of years.
  • skullcapskullcap Member - under moderation Posts: 182 Courageous
    edited February 2020
    I didn't realise that there could be an issue with proving NCB and getting a decent quote whilst having had a Motability car. So thankful that I never went down that route although I could have done for the past 20 years. I never could find the car that I would want to drive. I lease a new Mercedes GLC SUV every 3 years for not much more than my PIP mobility payment. The only expense is the insurance which works out at about £365 a year. All of the other ongoing costs are in with the lease payments excluding car tax which I don't pay anyhow.
Sign in or join us to comment.