Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Back dating llimited capability for work and work related activity

joemarch83joemarch83 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited January 2020 in Universal Credit
I have been handing in sick notes at the job centre since march 2018 while claiming universal credit due to an injury from a crash.i had my fit for work assessment about 6 weeks ago and have just received a letter in my journal saying as a result of the assessment I've been awarded limited capability for work and work related activity.
Does anyone know if I will be backdated any money?and if so would it be from june/july 2018?or am I only entitled to the extra money from now on...
Thanks in advance

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

It will depend on when your assessment period is because there's a full 3 month waiting period and then your LCWRA element is paid from the 4th month of your claim because UC is paid in arrears. Have you also be sending in fit notes constantly without any gaps?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • joemarch83joemarch83 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Yes I've been sending fit notes since march 2018 with no gaps
    edited January 2020
    Thanks but you still haven't answered the other question. When is your assessment period?  and what date did you send your first fit note.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    I'm not sure what you mean by assessment period.i first started sending sick notes early march 2018
    Everyone that claims UC has an assessment period each month and you receive your money 7 days after that ends. Each persons assessment period depends on when they first claimed UC.

Early March 2018 doesn't help me because i'll need an exact date otherwise i can't help you to work out how many months money you're owed.

The reason i'm asking those 2 questions is because the waiting period is 3 full months of assessment periods and not 3 months. This means that if you send your first fit note in the middle of your assessment period then that month doesn't count.
    I dont need an exact date I'm just asking if it will get backdated to when I first started sending in sick notes in march 2018 minus the 3/4 month waiting period.
    Or an I only entitled to the extra money going forward
    It's backdated but you did also ask when is it backdated to.
  • Martin2019Martin2019 Member Posts: 33 Connected
    No no it’s not back dated - it’s. 3 month wait you need to confirm with UC - message them on your journal. 
    edited January 2020
    No no it’s not back dated - it’s. 3 month wait you need to confirm with UC - message them on your journal. 

That's not exactly correct, sorry. If a claimant has waited longer than the "3 month waiting period" then you'll receive backdated money, as advised, if the decision is LCWRA.
  • LEEDScbLEEDScb Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I am in same scenario. Been handing notes since Oct 30th 2018.

i was awarded it in January 2020.

but only got 1 months backdate, as my partner moved in with me whilst I was still handing in notes.I have had to ask them to reconsider the decision as I think I should be entitled back to January 19 but we shall see. Asked for a reconsideration 2 weeks ago tommorow. Hope they come up with something
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,945 Scope community team
    edited January 2020
    Hi @LEEDScb. It's more difficult for them to calculate as when you join (or split) a claim it basically acts as a new claim. You probably noticed all the journal history and statements were wiped? But you should still be entitled to the full backdate. I hope they sort this out for you quickly. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.