Emma Wiggs: 'If a disabled person comes out as gay, is that going to be an extra thing?" — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Emma Wiggs: 'If a disabled person comes out as gay, is that going to be an extra thing?"

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited February 2020 in Research and opportunities

Emma Wiggs: 'If a disabled person comes out as gay, is that going to be an extra thing? Maybe it’s another barrier' – Daily Telegraph

‘I think quite often there’s a stigma attached to females being sporty, that everyone must be lesbians,” says Emma Wiggs matter of factly. 

“I find that a real struggle, although I can’t really buck the trend,” she laughs. 

With cropped hair and a muscular upper body, the reigning Paralympic, World and European para-canoeist champion is aware of being pigeonholed as a gay female para-athlete.

Read the full article here: Emma Wiggs: 'If a disabled person comes out as gay, is that going to be an extra thing? Maybe it’s another barrier' – Daily Telegraph
Scope

Comments

• Lesnic
    Lesnic Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    If you're gay then whose business is it but your own? We don't live in the dark ages anymore but we still have the small minded people who would happily drag us back there. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Lesnic   Pleased to meet you .

Thank you for sharing and joining.

Please if I can say we as a community encompass all no matter what they are.  Dealing with and coping with happy to be a listening ear.

Pleased to tell you that, we do have a supportive community.

If you ever did find yourself suffering or having any problems.

I am pleased to inform you this a safe place to discuss when ever we can help you with or need to ask.

One needs to be in a community that is sensitive kind and compassionate this is the place here.

Please take care and safe.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.