Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How long for a decision?

mlaw886mlaw886 Member Posts: 17 Connected
edited February 2020 in Universal Credit
Hi there I started on uc in December 18 and just got my home visit for health assessment 6 weeks ago. I was looking to see if anyone had had a decision recently and how long roughly it took. 
Thank you 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

There's no timescales for any decisions. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. You can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Once you receive it, take note of the LCW and LCWRA recommendations towards the back of the report. If you don't understand you can post back here and someone will help you.

Once the decision's been made the letter will be uploaded onto your journal. Hopefully not too much longer.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mlaw886mlaw886 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi poppy thanks so much for the quick response. The dwp would you have a phone number please or would I just call uc. I don’t understand that but I will call for a copy of my assessment and ask for further help if needed thank you kindly.

You're welcome. UC is part of DWP and it's these you'll need to ring.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks poppy 
  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mlaw886 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  I hope you have found @poppy123456 information and advice to be useful and hope you manage to get things sorted out.  Please let us know how you get on anyway.  If there is anything we can do to help/support you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
    Hi thanks you very much I will. I found the reply’s very helpful thanks 
    Hi again so this morning I called uc to ask for my copy of my health assessment. I was told it’s not even showing on the system my home visit was the 15th of January. She’s away to trace it up but I have a feeling it’s not even been forwarded on to uc yet. Can this be normal could this cause problems. 
    It's possible that your report has been sent to audit. If this has happened then it can considerably delay the decision process because a decision won't be made until both reports have been returned to DWP. An audit is nothing for you to worry about it just means that the HCP is being checked that they did their job correctly.

You can ring the Health assessment advisory service and ask them if your report has been returned to DWP. If it's in audit, they will tell you. There's no timescales for how long the audit will take because it won't be returned to DWP until the report is correct.

See link for contact details. Although this link says ESA it's still the work capability assessment and is the same as UC.

Thanks so much for this advice I will do that now. 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mlaw886 Welcome to the community its nice to see new members here. I hope you are not waiting too much longer for your decision please keep us updated 
    Thank you the community is so helpful I’ve been telling my family. I called them up and my assessment was sent to DWP on the 17th of January I will keep an update going thank you again.
  • chiariedschiarieds Member Posts: 7,940 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mlaw886 - Welcome to the community. I'm pleased you've joined, as Poppy has been able to give you helpful & appropriate advice. Thank you for saying you will keep us all updated, as it's always good to hear how people get on, & if you need any other support, as Ails says, let us know. Like Poppy & Jane have said, I hope you're not waiting too much longer for a decision. My best wishes. :)
    So very kind words thank you so much I hope not much longer now ether x
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

Hello @mlaw886. Have you heard anything yet? :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Hello unfortunately nothing yet. An agent attached a note to ask the decision maker to send me a copy of my report when it becomes available. She done that last Friday the 21st of feb. Report was definitely sent to WDP on the 17th of jan. should I call again and ask if my report is showing yet. My work coach said herself people arnt waiting this long just now she can’t see what’s going on.
    There's no timescales for any decisions. Some wait between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer. There's no harm in ringing them to ask if there's any updates.
    Thanks I will hang off for the 8 weeks give them time to do what they have to do will keep an update if I hear anything thanks again.
  • floraflora Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi.  My son had his WCA in February. I was expecting a long wait for him to receive the result but the letter was put on his journal a week later.  There doesn’t appear to be any consistency with the time scales.  Hope you don’t have to wait too much longer 
    flora 
    Thanks flora hopefully not much longer now.
  • avakarlssonavakarlsson Member Posts: 332 Courageous
    Hi 

I have just had my mandatory reconsideration letter come today in my journal and I haven’t got the award for limited capability for work, I have now appealed so hopefully now I will get it,  
    Hope it works in your favour 
    Hopefully once I appeal I will get the extra payment and see what group I am in, the LWCRA maybe 
  • Ami2301Ami2301 Member Posts: 7,440 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @avakarlsson, please note that all benefit appeals can take up to 12 months, sometimes longer. This can be due to backlogs, etc.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
    I don’t think it will as I am not going to the hearing and the person said on the phone today when I phoned about appeal she said it will probably be quick 
    I don’t think it will as I am not going to the hearing and the person said on the phone today when I phoned about appeal she said it will probably be quick 
    I would urge you to appear in person for your hearing. Paper based decisions for appeals have between a 5-8% success rate, which is extremely low. 

Appearing in person if not represented and there’s more than a 50% success rate. With representation and it increases again to 76%. 
    Oh that’s a big. Percentage difference, the person said if you want to go it will be a much longer wait 
    It’s just asked me that question I don’t no what to do go to the hearing or not 
    It's entirely up to you, but as @poppy123456 has said, there is a higher chance of a successful outcome if you appear in person and are represented,.
    Yes it was a quite a difference in percentage, has anyone been for a hearing and do you get told on the day if you have got it? 
    Well it's your decision and i've told you the percentage differences.
    Yes it was a quite a difference in percentage, has anyone been for a hearing and do you get told on the day if you have got it? 

Sometimes you're told on the day but not always. If this happens they will send you a decision letter within a couple of days.
    I will attend as hopefully then I can get the work Capability Assessment extra cost to on top of my universal credit 
    I'm assuming by that you mean the LCWRA element and not the extra cost of the work capability assessment?
    Yes that’s what I meant sorry
    I have completed my appeal and went for the option to go to the hearing so hopefully now I will hear shortly from them
    When I did my appeal for pip I did an appeal and I didn’t go to the hearing I went for the option where you didn’t have to go and I got it, so hopefully with the universal credit work Capability Extra money, I will get this as well as the standard amount of universal credit each month 
    It's rare for DWP to offer an award before a hearing date so my advice is to prepare and expect to have to attend the hearing. Also do be aware that limited capability for work criteria is totally different to PIP.

Doing some research while you're waiting will certainly help as will writing a good submission.
    Hi poppy thank you for the information booklet, I have just had a read through it and useful information to know. 
    Hi guys wee update I'm still waiting for my descion 8 weeks now seems a long time. 
    mlaw886 said:
    Hi guys wee update I'm still waiting for my descion 8 weeks now seems a long time. 

There's no timescales for any decision. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Hopefully not too much longer.
    Thanks hopefully not much longer now. 
    Hi, I got my decision, I don’t no whether I told you lot on here or not, I didn’t get the extra payments so I did a mandatory reconsideration and still didn’t get it, so I appealed and it’s been about 3 weeks now. 
    Unfortunately Tribunals can take up to a year and sometimes longer.
    I have done it as urgent as I need this done ASAP, as I had my occupational health phone call yesterday and when I next see my manager they will probably dismiss me on ill health grounds. As when I saw my manager last time in January that’s what they said.
    Do be aware that LCWRA is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do and the Tribunal will consider your ability to do any type of work, not just the work you used to do. Lots of people are waiting about a year. Stating it's urgent may not help the time you're waiting.
    Hopefully it won’t take long to hear back from the DWP and they change there minds, saves me carrying on with the appeal and even waiting more time.
    It's rare for DWP to do that so i'd advise you to expect to have to appear in person. At least this way, you'll be prepared, if you do have to appear in person. 
    I have said and they said if the judge wants you there you can come or he might decide without me there, I have said why I disagree etc and really explained well. It’s like my PIP daily living I didn’t get it when I applied for it or mandatory reconsideration, so I appealed then the time I sent back the form to when I heard to say we have changed the award to a much favourable one that took about 2 weeks all together and I did put a lot of information in that too and it didn’t have to go any further as DWP changed there minds. I am hoping the same for the universal credit extra payments too to be the same as my pip outcome. 
    Hi everyone

What is the new ESA style? Can I get it if I am on pip and on universal credit?
    I am not receiving any universal credit payments yet.
     The GOV website states,

New Style’ ESA is a contributory benefit. Normally, this means you may be able to get it if you’ve paid and/or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions in the 2 full tax years before the year you’re claiming in.
    I did do 16hrs a week and I did have to pay national insurance not every month. 
    You can read this page for more information.
    Can you get the new style esa if your on universal credit and pip? 
    It depends on your circumstances and whether or not you've paid enough national insurance contributions. It explains in more detail on the oink I provided about eligibility.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

Scope community team

edited March 2020
    Hi @avakarlsson. As @Ami2301 said, it depends on your NI contributions as to whether you could apply. You can claim it in addition to Universal Credit and PIP. It has no effect on PIP but it deducted £ for £ from Universal Credit. 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
    Hi Adrian, I will have a look at my national insurance contributions on my latest pay slip and it will say how much I have paid since being at my job, how much is it to be able to qualify the benefit.  
    Ok thank you I will look into it and see if I can get it. 
    To claim New style ESA now you will need to have paid NI Contributions in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. As Adrian has advised it will make no difference to your income because it's deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement. If you are eligible then you won't receive any payments until your SSP has ended.
    Sorry for the late reply 

oh I see I did phone universal credit today and asked about my appeal as they said on Monday by today it will be decided by DWP or the judge. They said the judge got it on Wednesday.
    Sounds like DWP have sent their response. It doesn't mean you'll receive a date for your hearing soon. Delays will no doubt be longer now with everything that's happening.
    Yes they said the DWP have sent everything over but normally they say that DWP might change there minds before going to the appeal stage 
    edited March 2020
    This very rarely happens and i would advise you to expect to have to attend a hearing. I do believe i advised you this on another thread.

I know you were offered a PIP award before your hearing date but this is rare for this to happen.

You say normally they say that DWP might change their minds. Sorry but normally, that isn't what happens because it's rare they do this.
    Hi everyone 

Hope everyone is keeping safe and staying in with this virus going on. Hope everyone is ok 
    Hi just a wee update on where I'm at now. So I got my home visit back on the 15th of January. I also was advised on here to ask for a copy of my report around March. I've still not had a desion I just kept getting told its with the desion maker. I've had call advisers send messages to managers with there being no reply. I still have no copy of my report which I've asked for a few times now. I was told by journal that there would be a action taken on my account by the 3rd of August there wasn't I've called twice since then still no real answers. Is this normal to take this much time with little worry about my account I first applied for this benefit in Dec 2018. It took a year to get my home visit appointment. 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 3,136

Scope community team

Hello @mlaw886, hope you're well today :) 

Thanks for the update, that is an awfully long time to have been waiting for a decision. It's worth keeping in mind that there has been delays due to the pandemic and there will have been a backlog for them to catch up with. 

It's normal for things to take a while with the DWP, but this situation still seems odd given that you say you've called them many times and they've sent messages to managers with no replies. 

Hopefully others will be able to advise on this, but have you considered contacting your local Citizens Advice? I would also recommend Advice Local.
    Online Community Coordinator

Find out more about, and apply for, the Community Co-production Group.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
    Hi Ross thanks for replying yeah my case was moved to a case manager the end of July. Should I be able to see me report by now? I was told by an adviser it should be there but its not showing. I never seem to get a answer to why this is the case. I will try my local advice shop thank you 
    That's rather a long time to wait, i agree. You won't see your report on your journal, they send it in the post as a paper copy. Although for the work capability assessment they don't always agree to send it before a decision's been made. Sometimes they will sometimes they won't.

I would advise you to ring UC again on Monday morning and if you don't have any joy then you could contact your local MP and maybe they can contact DWP on your behalf. Sometimes this can get things moving faster. https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-an-mp-or-lord/contact-your-mp/

Thank you for the advice that's what I will do. 
Sign in or join us to comment.