Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Video Games

Replies

• TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    I have been a gamer since being a teen playing arcade games to death (or it felt that way, lol!). Until I was 26 I stuck to those but then picked up a Sinclair Spectrum and have played such games until I am now 63. I went from box to box (C64, Amiga, Playstation, Sega, Xbox (original) but somewhere in between I switched to a PC to play more complex MMORPG type games I started on the Amiga. I still have an odd console or two about (including a PS3) but tend to stick mostly to games I can play slowly and comfortably considering my condition. Hence I now play OSRS (having restarted after gaining massive levels in RS3) but also play Diablo 3, World of Tanks, World of Warships and the odd dip into my old WoW characters.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,998

Scope community team

Has anyone heard of of a game called kingdoms of amular? It comes out very soon on ps4 but I think it has been out before on other consoles. I may have the spelling incorrect.
    Hi @Dragonslayer, I had the original version on the PC about five years ago. I didn't play much of it because of time constraints but it was a very pretty, very satisfying hack and slash RPG. Well worth a look at. It reminded me very much of an MMORPG like WoW in terms of style.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,114

Scope community team

@Dragonslayer
    @Adrian_Scope

What is Kingdoms of Amula about? Sounds interesting.

On a side note, I'm packing up all my games consoles at the moment in preparation for moving and between us, me and my partner have a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and a Switch... not gonna be short of choice am I? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,125 Pioneering
    I have watched the video intro to the game and it looks to be a!omg the same lines as other rpg,s. Open world, exploring, monsters, fighting ect. But I will give it a go and let you know what I think. 
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Community Co-Production Group Posts: 1,125 Pioneering
    Finished the Ghost of Thusima and it lives up to all I expected. It is now the biggest, fastest selling game ever on PS4 and it well deserves to be. It has to be, for me at least, one of the best games ever. I have already started to play again from the start and I have never done that before..

Scope community team

Hi @Dragonslayer
    I'm glad you enjoyed the game, it must be good if you've already started playing it again :) 

I've started The Last Of Us Part II from the beginning again. I'm playing it on the "New Game Plus" setting where you can keep all of your weapons and character upgrades from your original playthrough and have them from the start of the game.

Hi Ross
    I did the very same as you with The Last of us II, but stopped after a while when I got The Ghost game. I then decided not to play ghost again thinking it would be better to wait for a little while. You see it doesn't give the Game+ option, you really do have to start all over again. So I thought leaving it alone would give me better game play later on. I am now playing Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice again. It has hard fighting and plenty of puzzles. A really good game. They are releasing Hellblade II soon. It too doesn't have game +.

Scope community team

@Dragonslayer
    Will you be getting Hellblade 2 when it releases? 

Hi Ross
    I will definitely be getting it when it releases, but not sure when it does. I believe it may well be after the release of the PS5 (Or at least close to it) like a few others games are waiting for. 
    I'm still thinking about The Kingdoms of Amular when it comes out on PS4, but I know nothing about it. It has been out on PC for a few years I think, but all I know is, it's an RPG. 
  • emilyanneremilyanner Member Posts: 76 Connected
    Who got a PS4 or a Nintendo twitch with animal crossing new horizons game I can connect with 
    @Ross_Scope
    Do you have a PS4? Will you be getting a PS5? 
    No just a PS4 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,061 Disability Gamechanger
    Seems mad that the PS5 is coming out. I remember getting a PS1 as a child. I feel old!!
    @Ross_Scope
    I will be getting a PS5 when it comes out which will be around the end of this year, that will be a Christmas present to  myself. 
    I just finished Hellblade and found it as good as the first playthrough, but sadly discovered after looking online that Hellblade 2 won't be available for PS4 or 5. Microsoft bought Ninja Theory (The company that made it) and so now it is a Microsoft exclusive. So it will be for the Xbox or PC. 

@66Mustang
    I too remember my first PlayStation and also feel old after looking back. But at least keeping up with the progression of things keeps us all young.
    One good thing is the PS5 will be backwards compatible so I can play my collection of AC games on it, as well as the games I store on my portable drive.  

Scope community team

@Dragonslayer
    It's a shame that Hellblade is now a Microsoft exclusive. That's happening more and more these days, you almost need all the consoles to be able to play the games you want. 

I'll be getting a PS5 for sure. Like @66Mustang it's mad that we're at the launch of the PS5 almost. I too had a PS1 and can still remember the start up screen and that iconic sound it made. But yeah, as soon as pre-order is available I'll be snapping one up. The backwards compatibility is certainly a massive feature, although I don't think it extends back to titles from PS3 or before. 

@emilyanner
    I'm sure there will be others on here with a Switch and Animal Crossing, are you enjoying the new game? 

New games seem to have dried up a little right now. Looks like they are all waiting for the Christmas release and the new consoles coming out. I can understand that for sale reasons, but feel a little let down as a result. I am 'picky' though, I don't like first person, much rather prefer third person. And don't like those games where you seem to be looking down on the game. So I have reverted back of a last year game of Greedfall, an open world RPG.
    I'm sure the PS5 will only play PS4 games and non from any other older PS consoles. It does seem a pity and yes I agree with @Ross_Scope It looks like we have to every console to play all games. 

Scope community team

@Dragonslayer
    From a financial point of view I think it makes sense for developers to release games now, right before the next generation consoles arrive. Because they will sell copies beforehand, and then they could just make a version of the game that is upscaled graphically for the new consoles and sell even more copies. Whilst those who bought it on the current generation could just play it on the new ones anyway.

@Ross_Scope
    I totally agree. It makes no sense for them to hang onto new games when they will have more systems to release them on. As you say like most things today it is all about money! 😕
    The amount of money some game manufacturers spend on the production of games today greatly outweighs the amount spent on the making of many movies.
    For me as a gamer I like it. But does it really make sense? 
    Will games stand up to the test of time, like many films do?
    We can all remember a film seen as a youngster. A film seen that leaves memories of a lifetime.
    But games? Will they do the same and give us those memories like that first film? 
    Or are we on the verge of a new age?

Scope community team

edited August 2020
    @Dragonslayer

Very interesting point, I'd be keen to hear others' thoughts on this.

I think games do have a similar power to movies actually. When we get all nostalgic it's easy to think back to our youth and the first games we ever played. The unique thing about games which movies don't have, is that we get nostalgic over the console as well as the game itself. 

I cannot tell you the amount of times I've thought longingly of the Sega Mega Drive or Nintendo 64, because those were amongst the first consoles I played.

@Ross_Scope
    Like you I also think back to the consoles I had in the past and the way they, along with the games have greatly improved. I remember the thrill of guiding a bouncing 'ball' between to thin lines back and forth and the wonder of being able to do so.
    Now games produced actually place us into the 'film' and we become the star actor controlling the action and the way the story plays out. There are now more and more film producers making films based on a game. AC for instance.
    The Sega system was a huge step forward in the gaming world, and now we are soon stepping up into the future with the PS5 and X Box 1. I wonder what the next step will be? 
    I agree with what you say, games, along with consoles are as nostalgic as films and have the same power.

Scope community team

@Dragonslayer
    I agree with you, I'd almost say that games have become like interactive films these days, given the graphics and superb story telling. 

The next step? Who knows. I'd guess virtual reality, it seems like we're just scratching the surface with that at the moment 

• 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,061 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dragonslayerdo have a similar power to movies actually. When we get all nostalgic it's easy to think back to our youth and the first games we ever played. The unique thing about games which movies don't have, is that we get nostalgic over the console as well as the game itself.

I don’t know for sure. Maybe it is a bit nostalgic thinking about putting the video into the video tape player!

Also using a screwdriver to rewind a video that has gotten stuck!!
    The release of new games I prefer to play seem to have dried up? RPG's, Adventure. To name just two.
    It makes me think the makers are waiting for the Christmas market release, along with the new consoles coming out. Anyone else think the same, or agree? 
    I am 'picky' I prefer to play third person. And don't like games where you look down on the scene. ( Not sure what they call them) 
    So I have reverted back to a game I played last year. Greedfall an RPG.  I stopped playing it because I got fed up with it!  And it is a little 'clunky ' But second time around I am liking it.
    66Mustang said:
    @Dragonslayerdo have a similar power to movies actually. When we get all nostalgic it's easy to think back to our youth and the first games we ever played. The unique thing about games which movies don't have, is that we get nostalgic over the console as well as the game itself.

I don’t know for sure. Maybe it is a bit nostalgic thinking about putting the video into the video tape player!

Also using a screwdriver to rewind a video that has gotten stuck!!

Done that many times in the past. 

@66Mustang
    Video. OMG It was fantastic when it first came out. Bought my first player the day Prince Charles married Diana.
    I thought it was. Still do, time better spent. And it cost £500. Well worth it
    First tape Battlestar Galactica. 

While waiting for the new games to be released I am going to get Kingdoms of Amular remastered. Online people say it has up to 500hrs playtime and beyond . That should cover the waiting time.
    @66Mustang @Ross_Scope
    You waiting for anything?
    I have just looked it up, it looks really good with good graphics. As for 500 hours...This is why gaming is such good value. :smiley: Even if the game was full price at £50 thats 10p per hour of entertainment.

I’m sticking with WoW and RuneScape at the moment. Sadly my choice of games are severely limited at the moment as I have a Mac not a PC and I do not currently own a console. I also have an iPad. If anyone knows any good games for iOS that would be appreciated!

Scope community team

@66Mustang
    You're spot on there, games are great value for money. I think it's because no two gaming sessions are ever the same, it's great. Regarding games on iOS, I'm not entirely sure because I use Android. However I imagine the selection is similar on both so I would suggest browsing through the categories on the App Store. I know that Fortnite and Minecraft are now on mobile devices if they're your kind of thing. Alternatively, here's a current list from Digital Trends with a few good choices on.

@Dragonslayer
    I wouldn't say I'm waiting for any especially, maybe FIFA 21 given that I'm a big football fan and I tend to buy that every two or three years, but primarily I'm just waiting for the console.

Any others you're waiting for?

@Ross_Scope
    I am waiting for the latest AC. Valhalla. That will go into my disc collection of AC games.
    Then Eden Ring, Dragon age 4, Skull and Bones, God and Monsters, And there are a few others. 
    Valhalla  (Top of my list) releases in November on PS4. The others are TBC. I believe they are waiting for the PS5. 
    @Ross_Scope @66Mustang
    Sorry I may be a little thick. But games on iOS?

66Mustang said:
    I have just looked it up, it looks really good with good graphics. As for 500 hours...This is why gaming is such good value. :smiley: Even if the game was full price at £50 thats 10p per hour of entertainment.

I’m sticking with WoW and RuneScape at the moment. Sadly my choice of games are severely limited at the moment as I have a Mac not a PC and I do not currently own a console. I also have an iPad. If anyone knows any good games for iOS that would be appreciated!

@66Mustang
    You are quite right in saying that, the game will be even better value it sells at £34

Question to anyone?
    Best way to buy games?
    I buy from the shop 'Game' if I want one on disc and they have a great deal on trade in.
    Example pay £49 new. Trade it in a few months later and you can get up to half of that price back against a new one. Or put it on a reward card and save for later.
    Thats how I bought most of my games, from the shop. But now because of Covid and my condition it is hard for me to get to the shop, so I have have bought from PSN and download. 
    Kingdom of Amular is only on disc on PS4 and because I have games on disc to trade I will have to get there somehow or loose my trade in price.
    You can trade in online! But still have to get to the post office to send them.
    Any thoughts?

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer, my step-dad buys his from computer exchange. You can buy or sell games, with you also being able to have credit to spend on future games. :)
    Scope

The last console I played seriously was the original Xbox (which is still around somewhere) but I had to stop using it after Phantom Crash and Need For Speed started causing me neck and arm issues (the start of my long poor health history). My mum got a PS2 for when grandchildren visited but when they lost interest it came to me and then to my eldest. I did replace it with a recon original PS3 but both PS's were only used for Guitar Hero type games. My son is heavily into the latest Xbox's but I suspect that money issues due to lack of work from Covid has more than a little curtailed his interest. I have a home built PC that is still up to playing most recent games and a gaming laptop that I now totally rely on. I also have 4 or 5 tablets plus mum's old PC and laptop. My house has always been like a graveyard for old equipment from the days where I was building PC's and upgrading them constantly.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Scope community team

@Topkitten
    Sounds like your place is full of video games nostalgia :) What do you tend to play on your gaming laptop? 

@Dragonslayer
    When we say games on iOS it means games that are on Apple devices like phones and iPads. iOS is the operating system.

Regarding buying games, I often try eBay, you can get some decent prices on there. The Facebook selling section is a great option as well for bargains. 

@Ross_Scope
    Thanks for the info on iOS. I don't feel as thick now 😊
    I will take a look at E Bay sounds interesting.

@Chloe_Scope
    That seems to be a lot like the Game store I have used for quite a while! But it's always good to have more outlets to use. 😃

The gaming world has gone quiet
    I am nearly at the end of replaying Greedfall and looking forward to getting my copy of Kingdoms of Amular.
    I am wishing they makers would release games in a more varied way instead of waiting months between them, and then releasing quite a few at once especially for the Xmas market.

Which is best Playstation? Or XBox?
    edited September 2020
    That’s bound to get a lively debate going!

I had a PS1 but then always had XBOX after that. 

I don’t know which is best though. I guess these days with so many games that are only available on a certain platform it depends on what games you want to play?
    When I was just about ready to buy my new console, I remember spending many a long hour wondering whether to get a PS4 or an XBox. I finally got the PS4. It is I believe more powerful? And still think so.
    It was after spending a long time away from gaming. My console before that was a PS2. Before that a PS1 I skipped the PS3,
    Earlier years I have had Sega, Phillips and a few others that are now long obsolete.
    I like PlayStation and that's why I will get the PS5. I believe they are better.

I’ve ordered my PS4 so I can connect with some of you on my PS4 when it arrives 
    @Ross_Scope, mostly OSRS (Old School RuneScape) and Diablo III but occasionally go back into World of Tanks and World of Warships.

I have various old and new spares, PC's, drives and other stuff spread around the house, lol!

TK
    Not long before my PS4 arrives so I can connect with people on it so excited if you wanna connect with me just ask 
    I am ( Between games) and while waiting for my copy of Kingdoms of Amular I have been searching through my game collection and settled on replaying Until Dawn, at least until my new game comes.
    If you like the Horror genre then it is well worth a go. It really is like being in a movie.

Scope community team

I hope you enjoy your PS4 @emilyanner, what games will you be getting? 

I prefer PlayStation @Dragonslayer, it has better games in my opinion. However, when we consider how accessible the consoles are I think Xbox is better in that regard. But purely from a gamer's point of view it has to be the PlayStation.

Interested to hear others' thoughts.

There really seems to be little between the two consoles, but I do believe PlayStation has the edge in both power and games. But I have never played on X Box so maybe it may not be for me to say.
    I also have never played a game on PC, although I do have a desk computer. Never fancied a laptop. But surely games are better on console? That is why they excist after all surely, isn't it?

Some PC gamers are a really dedicated bunch and swear by their PCs. You can get much better graphics on a PC but you have to have a PC that is powerful enough to run the games at the desired graphic settings.

I would say for the money a console is better - a PC costing the same as a console likely won’t run games at very high settings - I’d say to get a PC that would beat a console by a worthwhile margin you need to spend £1,000 and that’s just for tower, you then would need a decent screen, and of course peripherals. If you prefer the console handset to a keyboard and mouse then you can use console controllers with a PC to get the best of both worlds.

You then have the problem that PCs are much more complicated than consoles as they obviously do more and can go wrong. Troubleshooting on a console is much simpler but with a PC there could be a hundred reasons why something isn’t working.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of a console but some PC gamers spend thousands, even tens of thousands, on their set ups and you can create some truly amazing PC setups.
  • t0nkyst0nkys Member Posts: 31 Courageous
    66Mustang said:
    Some PC gamers are a really dedicated bunch and swear by their PCs. You can get much better graphics on a PC but you have to have a PC that is powerful enough to run the games at the desired graphic settings.

I would say for the money a console is better - a PC costing the same as a console likely won’t run games at very high settings - I’d say to get a PC that would beat a console by a worthwhile margin you need to spend £1,000 and that’s just for tower, you then would need a decent screen, and of course peripherals. If you prefer the console handset to a keyboard and mouse then you can use console controllers with a PC to get the best of both worlds.

You then have the problem that PCs are much more complicated than consoles as they obviously do more and can go wrong. Troubleshooting on a console is much simpler but with a PC there could be a hundred reasons why something isn’t working.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of a console but some PC gamers spend thousands, even tens of thousands, on their set ups and you can create some truly amazing PC setups.
    I saved for ages and spent a LOT on a gaming PC but I still value my PS4, albeit cant fit as much on my PS4 so I’m constantly deleting and reinstalling. And my nephew insists on fortnite and that takes looooads of space. Also easier to record games on PC, I do have the capability of recording on PS4 but sometimes I’m just too depressed to set it all up. Got a switch too for my Nintendo fix, don’t have a lot of games though (not a fan of mario!) Basically I feel like I get the best of both worlds, I wouldn’t sell my PS4.
    @t0nkys

I had the same problem with space on my PS4. Solution is to get some extended storage the plugs into one of the PS4 usb ports. I got a 1 terrabite one for around £70 it's smaller than the palm of your hand and not only stores more games than the actual console. But is transportable and can the be used in any other PS4. It can also be used to download PS4 games onto the new PS5. That's the way to save your treasured PS4 games to play on the PS5.
    @66Mustang
    Thanks for the info regarding gaming on PC,s but I am not that dedicated to warrant spending that amount of money on one to use for gaming. A PC Is for me a great tool for networking, searching, info, storage ECT. But for gaming I will stick to console. 
    If you can build and upgrade your own PC then it can be relatively cheap to play PC games and most games eventually come out on all formats, a matter of profit for the makers. However, this requires a desktop or deskside box. Trying to upgrade laptops is negligible and / or very expensive (usually cheaper to scrap and buy new). You don't always need a new processor and memory unless the bus changes and that doesn't happen very often and, if you stay away from the absolute latest graphics cards the prices drop fast (usually). Normally any up-to-date game will play on older kit and upgrading the graphics card will allow games to be played at much higher resolution than on any console.

However, (always a however isn't there, lol!), games usually debut on consoles first and some things that consoles are specifically designed to do simply cannot be copied cheaply on others (Nintendo Wii being a prime example). That's because they are aimed at a specific market and not general gaming. Consoles are also generally cheaper than a good PC setup but, as many Xbox users especially know, not all current games play on all consoles of the same make. So buying a specific one now may not let you play the latest games for long and consoles (like laptops) are almost impossible to upgrade. Afaik there is a PS5 in the pipeline and probably another Xbox not far behind and both are unlikely to be backward compatible unlike almost ALL PC games. A modern PC will likely play not only recent games but also those that are years old (and years and years and.... etc.).

I don't play modern games so it matters little to me about the "latest" game. I'm still playing Runescape (old School) which basically has 8-bit graphics, LOL!!!! However, (there it is again :smile: ) RS is around 20 years old now and still plays fine.

TK

Scope community team

I suppose most people don't have the required skills to build and modify their own PC @Topkitten, myself included, which is somewhat of a shame. I think that leads people to opt for the simplicity of console gaming, literally the only maintenance you need to do is software updates. 

And then there's the issue of price as mentioned. However, gaming on a PC can be more flexible with the modding abilities and so on, and the fact that they can play older games. I have one on my PC that was released in the mid 2000s and it works perfectly. 

I just find the whole experience of playing on a console better. They're easier to use, the controls are simpler and take less time to get used to, and it's much more straight forward to connect with others and party up in my opinion.  

I actually found playing old games on the PC quite difficult.

I enjoy playing old games from when I was a child but I found that as my version of Windows gets newer, older games become unsupported and you have to jump through hoops to be able to play them i.e. download special software.

As a child I had some games from the late 90s and early 2000s passed to me from a family member and tried to play them again when I last had a Windows PC and it was really difficult.

That said it was at least possible :)
    edited September 2020
    Granted @Ross_Scope, that console controls are generally easier to use but in more complex MMO's the use of KB and Mouse far exceeds a controller. Personally, due to my issues controllers aggravate my neck issues because I find myself not only wrenching the controller about but also leaning to and fro (as if that makes ANY difference, lol!). My son is very fast on his Xbox controller but still uses a PC at times for a few games.

As for expertise..... it isn't hard to learn to make a PC as they are very modular. In fact most cheaper Motherboards have almost everything built in. Not many go to the trouble I did even to the extent of fitting a water cooler on the Processor, lol! I have, to my knowledge, in my spare time, trained 6 people how to build their own (including my son) although most would contact me every time they had an issue. I was always very fast at diagnosing problems. Even my Mum at 85 used to use a PC a lot because I was always on call. Compare that to my cleaner who is only a year or two older than me who doesn't even have the internet as she understands none of it.

As for upgrades on PC's.... things are very much stable. Motherboards are 64 bit and will stay so for some time as 128 bit are too large, cumbersome and hot to appear yet. It would also require a new transfer bus which would render all old plug-in cards (graphics cards mostly) obsolete and as graphics is the most expensive item no one wants that to happen. Likewise the returns from more and faster processors has pretty much maxed out and games generally do not benefit much from processor numbers or speeds. The main bottleneck now, especially in laptops, is disk transfer rates and, although my knowledge is out of date on SDRAM alternatives I am skeptical they are a long lasting solution. If I'm correct they are limited to a number of write operations which will run out long before the slower and traditional hard drive does, read operations will be much faster and not limited though. However, hard drive heat is now a major factor in laptops so some answer is to be expected. Desktop and deskside solutions are much more accessible and almost anyone can figure out how to add fans for cooling.

I doubt Windows will upgrade at anything like the speed it used to, even for businesses. Windows 10 was developed to ensure that as even Microsoft finally realized that people have neither the funds nor the inclination to upgrade every year. Someone should tell Aplle that as IDevices still continue to appear year on year and at about £100 more expensive than a similar Goggle based option who, I believe, only still race Apple because of people's perspective. There is, after all, little need for phones to do more than they do now unlike consoles which need better graphics all the time to compete against the PC. From what I have seen many phones now also exceed consoles in picture quality, lol! Hence the more and more common gaming apps for phones.

@66Mustang, I remember not too long ago my son scouring the internet for patches so that his Xbox games could play on his new console. So it's not just the PC although admittedly no new console will run old games any more, they gave that option up as too complicated when the Xbox went from an Intel platform to an IBM one. It isn't beyond the scope of new consoles to play old games, just not worth the money. They would rather people buy new games all the time as it's more profitable. Being a fan of Phantom Crash on the original Xbox I never wanted another as it was never patched and I objected to paying out extra. I only got a PS2 because my mum gave it to me and then went to a lot of trouble to get a refurbed PS3 to play the Guitar Hero games only to find that I had to replace controllers and games anyway. Haven't bought a console since.

TK
    Just feel I need a change so going to look at Neverwinter again. Did try it a long time ago but waiting now on installation. The downside of all internet games *sigh*.

TK

Scope community team

Hopefully the issues around download speeds and compatibility will be solved by cloud gaming @Topkitten and @66Mustang. I use Steam on the PC and thus any old game that's on there generally works well but there isn't a wide selection. 

I hope as well that with the emergence of cloud gaming it makes everything more accessible, since you won't need a high spec machine to play AAA titles, for example you could conceivably play GTA 5 on a smart phone.

Hahaha, Neverwinter was a bad idea. It kept me up all night (still haven't slept) and it has adversely affected my upper spine condition giving me lots of pain in the neck, shoulders and upper arms. Just a good job I wasn't using a controller too, lol!

TK
    I can’t remember the last time I’ve been kept up by a video game, it used to happen a lot though, good fun :smiley:

Scope community team

Oh dear @Topkitten, that's a shame, did you at least have fun on the game? 

And that happens to me occasionally @66Mustang, though I'm much more sensible these days in forcing myself to go to bed when it gets too late :D 

I play video games often, every day really, sometimes up to 4- 5 hours, but I have never been up all night playing, or been kept up by them. I think its because I have enough time during the day to do so and don't get as involved in playing for that that amount of time. Also don't play online. That's probably another reason.
    I'm housebound so it's TV or online games (with the odd break for other sites). I haven't been sleeping much lately and didn't waken until 2pm so I wasn't tired and just kept saying to myself "one more level", lol!

TK

Scope community team

"One more level" is how the regular gaming sessions turn into long ones isn't it @Topkitten? :D 

I was the same when playing through the new The Last of Us game, always wanted to find out what happened next. 

yes, @Ross_Scope, that's it exactly but I'm fairly stuck into it now just a shame that although it's free it's very restricted.

TK
    Anyone played Kingdoms op Amular?
    I've just received my copy on PS4 it is the remastered version. Can't wait to start it. Any tips before I delve into it. I hear it could take a long time to complete and starting idea's could be useful. 

I am also close to finishing Until Dawn for the second time. It is different 2nd time around, because changes to any choices made, take you onto a new path. I'd also forgotten about the parts can than really make you jump. I's like being in a slasher film. 

• Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,998

Scope community team

I played the non-remastered version that came out about 10 years ago @Dragonslayer. It's a good hack and slash romp, but if I remember rightly, you could get a lot of experience just from exploring, so don't be shy about peeking into every nook and cranny.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope
    I will remember that. After reading reviews I think it will be a good game to keep jumping in and out of. If it is in fact as long a playtime as many say.

Scope community team

So the pricing for the upcoming Xbox Series X has just been announced.

The full version will cost £499 and a cheaper, less powerful version called the Xbox Series S will cost £250. You can read more about the pricing here.

What do you all think? 

Sony is yet to reveal the pricing for the PS5 but I imagine it won't be long now.

@Ross_Scope
    That's not a bad price really for the X Box. I'm sure the PS5 will be close to that or even a little cheaper for the sake of competition and getting buyers thinking. 
    Maybe Sony waited for Microsoft to reveal their price first to undercut them? 

Scope community team

Sony did exactly that last time @Dragonslayer, they waited to go second. However this time I imagine the PS5 price will be very similar to the Xbox.

@Ross_Scope. I think you are right. It looks like it may come down to what each console has better to offer over the other and not so much the price..
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,435 Disability Gamechanger
    The Xbox S doesn't have a disk drive which puts me off a bit...  I still like physical games, even though the majority of the game is still downloaded nowadays.  I don't really understand what they mean by less powerful - surely it'll still need to be powerful enough to play any game that's sold for Xbox, so what would the real world effect of the reduced power be?

I've also just seen that the new Call of Duty has been announced...the Cold War...sounds fun, a game where nothing actually happens but we just hover over a nuclear missile button for 50 years.  :D

I don't really understand what they mean by less powerful - surely it'll still need to be powerful enough to play any game that's sold for Xbox, so what would the real world effect of the reduced power be?
    I was thinking that too. I didn’t think consoles were like computers where you could have better or worse graphics depending on the spec of your machine, thought it was all the same for a console. Maybe it’s exactly that and games will detect what console they are in and be set to run at lower graphics settings in the cheaper model?

Scope community team

edited September 2020
    So last night Sony announced the price plan for the PS5. The main model will match the cost of the new main Xbox model, £450 in the UK.

However, the entry level consoles differ in price between the two. Sony's will cost £349 and Microsoft's cheaper Xbox will cost £249. There are differences between the two cheaper variants though, the PS5 entry level model is virtually the same as it's more expensive version except without a disk drive, whereas the cheaper Xbox model will have no disk drive, as well as other downgraded specs.

You can read more about the price plan here.

Sony also gave some details about upcoming games that will be released on the new PS5, including a new Spiderman game, a new God of War game, and most notably in my opinion a new game set in the Harry Potter universe. Read more about the event here

What are your thoughts on all this? Will anyone be pre-ordering a new console? 

Oooo Harry Potter sounds good @Ross_Scope
    Scope

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,435 Disability Gamechanger

What are your thoughts on all this? Will anyone be pre-ordering a new console? 
    I won't be pre-ordering, I've never been bothered by having the latest games or consoles.  But my current Xbox One is getting on a bit so I'm keeping an eye on specs and prices for when it inevitably fails. 

I must admit, I'm still pretty confused about the specs though...  I don't see how a disc drive can add £100-£200 to the price!  I only play 1 game regularly so I'm struggling to justify the £450 cost of either of the 'full' consoles.  I think if I can get away with the cheaper Xbox, that's probably the one I'd go for, though I am worried about the real-world impact of the smaller memory...

Have/Will you be pre-ordering either?

Scope community team

edited September 2020
    The Harry Potter based game looks incredible @Chloe_Scope, it allows you to create your own character and progress through your journey as a witch or wizard, and explore all the wizarding world. You can watch a trailer for it here.

That makes sense @OverlyAnxious, the cheaper model is the most logical choice if you're only really going to be playing one game mainly. The diskless variant has 800GB of storage I believe, which should be plenty.

I will be pre-ordering the full price version. I discussed it with my partner and she's still quite nostalgic about collecting disks, so between us we're going to get the main PS5 model, once they get back in stock. 

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,662 Disability Gamechanger
    I always liked populous, I thought it was brilliant and the fifa games especially  fifa99.
    im not a gamer, can you tell?!

Scope community team

Just a bit @leeCal :) 

To be fair those old versions of FIFA were classic, much better than the modern editions in my opinion.

There are a few outlets offering pre orders for the PS5. I believe it is due around mid November. But I can't help thinking that new consoles had some teething problems when first released and so maybe it could be wiser to wait a little while. Especially when I read things online like. Sonys team didn't have time to build in and make it backward compatible with every other console, like the PS3. It doesn't matter for me for it will be OK for my PS4 discs. As long as I buy one with a disc player built in.
    Any thoughts? 😊
    That does look amazing @Ross_Scope
    Scope

Scope community team

It's due out on November 19th @Dragonslayer, and yeah quite a few outlets have been offering pre-orders but they're all sold out :D 

You're right, there will likely be teething issues like with most new gadgets, but I'm sure they'll be ironed out. The backwards compatibility doesn't overly matter to me either. I'm happy that it can play PS4 games but with the emergence of video game streaming and the constant re-mastering a re-releasing of old games, backwards compatibility isn't as necessary as it once seemed.

And it does indeed @Chloe_Scope, I just hope it's accessible enough :) 

Yeah there is that @Ross_Scope... is there anyway of finding out the accessibility before it comes out?
    Scope

Scope community team

You tend to have to rely on the developer publicising that information @Chloe_Scope , at this stage it's not exactly something that mainstream news outlets tend to pick up on, unless it's a groundbreaking level of accessibility. 

In am wondering if, or how many outlets will trade PS4 for a PS5 when buying?  I think Game will, not sure about others.

Scope community team

Interesting question @Dragonslayer, I will try and find out about that over the weekend. 

I will be keeping my PS4, because I'm nostalgic :) 

Thanks @Ross_Scope  I don't think I will be keeping my PS4 now I know the PS5 will be back compatible. I used to keep everything a while ago and still have some old consoles, but I never use them.
    Nowadays I think it better to get some discount trade in for them. But I have decided to wait a while before buying a PS5 probably until 2021. No real reason, I'm just not ready to rush into the Christmas rush. 

Scope community team

That makes sense @Dragonslayer, at this rate even if you did want one straight away it would be a challenge being able to order one. They're selling out so quickly.

As far as I can find, there isn't a trade in scheme as of yet, but I wouldn't say it's something that's impossible. Something may happen closer to the time. 

I don't think many places will offer to trade in @Ross_Scope for the throw away culture gets stronger every year.  What we are supposed to do with old things like consoles we dont want anymore is anyone's guess 
    I know there are places out there to dispose of them in the correct way. But I think it would be much better to give them to others that could make better use of them. 
    It's a pity the places to do so are not advertised as much. 
    Could always take it to a Scope shop:smiley:

I agree with your thoughts though @Dragonslayer

To be honest, I guess shops offer trade in schemes when they want to boost sales. With that in mind, they have no need to offer such an incentive right now as everyone is buying the new consoles regardless. As said maybe in a few months some offers will start to appear.

Scope community team

That's very true @66Mustang.

There is always the option of taking it to be traded in for cash @Dragonslayer, or as mentioned above to a charity shop. I agree there aren't many ways of getting rid of old consoles, but there are a couple. Do you have any you want to dispose of?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Listener
    I've been a gamer on a mulitude of formats since way back in the early 80's starting on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, some classic games back then, my first console was the SNES, bought in 1991 for Super Tennis, still arguably the greatest console Tennis sim ever in my opinion, then I had the PS1, and then I went back to Nintendo for the N64, great wrestling games! And npow I've had all 3 generations of Xbox and have preorderred the Series S.

I've been a gamer on a mulitude of formats since way back in the early 80's starting on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, some classic games back then, my first console was the SNES, bought in 1991 for Super Tennis, still arguably the greatest console Tennis sim ever in my opinion, then I had the PS1, and then I went back to Nintendo for the N64, great wrestling games! And npow I've had all 3 generations of Xbox and have preorderred the Series S.

That is a long and interesting gaming career you have there :)

Do you still have your early consoles?

Scope community team

As mentioned above, you have an interesting history with games :):smile:

Is there anything in particular you are playing at the moment?

Kingdoms of Amular, certainly lives up to its boast of being a long one. I have been playing for 70hrs now and still have a long way to go to the end.
    There are 200 or more side quests alone, and many faction and main quests to boot.
    It has been very enjoyable though and I'm pleased I got it.

I am looking forward to next month when Valhalla, the latest assassins creed comes out. And they have already made it playable on the PS5 

Scope community team

Those little side quests are often my favourite part of games like that @Dragonslayer, how are you getting along with the game?

At the moment I have done 135 side quests and left 4 main quests to finish. there are 2 DLC's  and I am now on my second one. I am really impressed with the game, even though it is an old one. You are quite right side quests can be as good as the main ones at it is certainly right in this game. For 34£ it is well worth buying it you like RPG's 
Sign in or join us to comment.