Star wars man cave, anyone else collect things and have a room to display? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Star wars man cave, anyone else collect things and have a room to display?

Options
Grinchy
Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,851 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2023 in Coffee lounge
So i'm a massive Star Wars fan, i remember going to see the first movie back in the seventies when i was a little boy, it really touched a nerve, and all through my childhood abuse, it kept me going, no matter how bad it got i always knew Luke and the gang would be there for me, so onto the room, a few years ago my Daughter moved out to go to Uni, so that meant the box room was free, so i got a few cabinets and got to work filling them
i have a leather recliner chair in there and when things get bad or i'm in pain, i go in there and chill out, really helps me, yes i'm a nerd, but thats not a bad thing
heres my view from the recliner

anyone else have a room they can relax in, can be anything, music/ library/ other

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wow that is really cool!!
  • Grinchy
    Options
    thank you, glad you like the cave! :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That is fab, @Grinchy! You have a great collection there!  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Thank you @Ails, its my peacefull place, i do love it 
  • Ails
    Options
    You are welcome, @Grinchy.  We all need a peaceful place to retreat to when times get tough.  For me it's the bedroom when my hubby becomes annoying, lol!  I like sitting on my bed with the cat on my lap.  :smile:
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Yes i agree your own space is very nice sometimes, we had our dog sandy until we had to have her put down last year, here i am with her, i loved her and it was hard to say goodbye

do you have any pics of your cat?
  • Ails
    Options
    Aww, Sandy is gorgeous, @grinchy.  I'm so sorry to hear of your loss as it is very hard when we lose a pet.  I'm sure Sandy brought you many years of joy.  Yes, I don't need any excuse to share pics of my cat, Christy.  She is my wee fur baby and so spoilt!  Here she is -

• Grinchy
    Options
    Thank you @Ails, yes it hit us very hard she came down with a sudden infection and within minutes of getting to the vets it was all over, i don't mind telling you i cried my leg off, she was nearly 11, your cat Christy looks lovely, i bet she is a character, love her colouring
  • Ails
    Options
    Aww that is so sad, @Grinchy.  It is devastating when they go as often it is so sudden so no wonder you were in bits.  When I was younger and still living with my parents, we had 2 Dalmatians, William and Oscar, and it was heartbreaking when each of them had to be put to sleep at age 13 as their back ends were going and they couldn't walk.  I remember being at work when Oscar went and I was in floods of tears and had to be sent home early I was so upset!  

Thank you for your kind comments about Christy.  Yes, she is a rescue cat and is aged 7.  Yes, a lot of people like her colouring, thanks.  She is a real diva, very sweet natured, but knows her own mind and if she doesn't want to do something she won't do it.  A lot of people think having a cat is less bother than a dog, certainly not in Christy's case as she is hard work at times, as she is a house cat, but we love her dearly and wouldn't be without her!  :smiley:
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Aww, she sounds lovely @Ails, i like cats but the wife is allergic, both my daughters have cats and they love them, thanks for your nice comments about Sandy, appreciate it 
  • Ails
    Options
    Thank you, @Grinchy.  That is a shame your wife is allergic to cats, but nice that your daughters have cats and love them.  They make good companions.  Yes, Sandy is lovely!  :smile:
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Grinchy - Wow, I'm impressed with your Star Wars room! We used to do car boots many years ago, & used to sell many of the figures & vehicles....I recognize some you have!
    Here's my spare bedroom. My joiner sort of got used to me after he'd fitted me a new kitchen, which had to have a bookcase for my cookery, gardening & art books. So when I said I would like a day bed (with another bed on castors hidden underneath) with a bookcase at one end, he just said 'of course'. Then he added me a shelf above each window. More books on top of the storage unit he built me too.
    I also have 2 stacking bookcases, which my son has mainly taken over + more of his books in boxes, which seem to have taken up residence! At least I get to borrow them..... :)

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to read about you losing your little dog Sandy. I have 3 grandchildren, & a granddog. That's my son's dog, who is a little Bedlington terrier. I often looked after him whilst my son was working before this pandemic. I miss him, but don't think my cat does! :)
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Wow @chiarieds that's a great room, lots of storage very nice, thanks for your nice comments regarding Sandy, with three grandchildren and a grandog you have your hands full!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's an incredible room there @Grinchy. I really like the textures on the Falcon. Do you have a favourite piece of memorabilia?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Hey @Adrian_Scope, thanks glad you like the room, my favourite piece is the falcon, i repainted it to look weathered and worn, it comes in a flat grey plastic, but i felt like it should look dirty, cheers
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Grinchy said:
    Hey @Adrian_Scope, thanks glad you like the room, my favourite piece is the falcon, i repainted it to look weathered and worn, it comes in a flat grey plastic, but i felt like it should look dirty, cheers
    Definitely looks better dirty. It's supposed to be a bucket of bolts after all. Love it. Thanks for sharing.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Grinchy
    Options
    Hey @66Mustang, thats a cool pinboard, sounds like you have a nice car collection to, i had most of my collection in storage before my daughter left, nice to finally show it
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wow, my husband would be jealous! We are avid superhero fans, mainly Marvel, but husband does love Star Wars!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.