Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Garden work grants

pickle32pickle32 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2020 in Finances and extra costs
Hi nice to meet you all x I’m registered disabled after having 2 knee replacement with arthritis and it’s now in my hip, I’m trying to find a grant of possible to do some work in my garden as I’m finding it harder to do all the grass cutting etc, the fence panels are down and it’s just making me depressed as I can’t sit out there !


  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

    Scope community team

    Afternoon @pickle32 and welcome to the community.
    Have you had a look at our grants checker?
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,286 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pickle32 Welcome to the community, have you looked at your local council as some provide garden work at a very competitive rate. It may also be worth considering paying somebody local just looking for some casual work Im sure there will be many around at this time
  • alieshiaalieshia Member Posts: 73 Courageous
    May I ask is it general maintenance you are needing help with or is it heavy work to make your garden suitable for use with your specific disability?
  • pickle32pickle32 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi x it’s work to make it more accessible for my knees, I’m not sure it’s classed as heavy work but it would need a little digging to I suppose to lay the slabs if that makes sense x
  • alieshiaalieshia Member Posts: 73 Courageous
    No that makes sense thank you! Your best bet is to contact your local council and ask if they provide a service called Care & Repair. It may have a slightly different name dependant on your county. They can do an assessment of your needs and your financial situation to see if they can help. I couldn't get out my back door or use my garden due to my wheelchair so Care & Repair put in a ramp and a large patio area for me to use. The entire thing was paid for by a grant. You have to confirm that you will be living in your property for the next 6 years. If you own a private house and move before the 6 years is up they can legally take the money for the work from your house sale income. If it's a council property this doesn't really apply but you will need to get the housing association's approval, which for my work was granted very quickly and easily. 

    I really hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on!
Sign in or join us to comment.