Garden work grants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Garden work grants

Options
pickle32
pickle32 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi nice to meet you all x I’m registered disabled after having 2 knee replacement with arthritis and it’s now in my hip, I’m trying to find a grant of possible to do some work in my garden as I’m finding it harder to do all the grass cutting etc, the fence panels are down and it’s just making me depressed as I can’t sit out there !

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Afternoon @pickle32 and welcome to the community.
    Have you had a look at our grants checker?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @pickle32 Welcome to the community, have you looked at your local council as some provide garden work at a very competitive rate. It may also be worth considering paying somebody local just looking for some casual work Im sure there will be many around at this time
  • alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Options
    May I ask is it general maintenance you are needing help with or is it heavy work to make your garden suitable for use with your specific disability?
  • pickle32
    pickle32 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi x it’s work to make it more accessible for my knees, I’m not sure it’s classed as heavy work but it would need a little digging to I suppose to lay the slabs if that makes sense x
  • alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Options
    No that makes sense thank you! Your best bet is to contact your local council and ask if they provide a service called Care & Repair. It may have a slightly different name dependant on your county. They can do an assessment of your needs and your financial situation to see if they can help. I couldn't get out my back door or use my garden due to my wheelchair so Care & Repair put in a ramp and a large patio area for me to use. The entire thing was paid for by a grant. You have to confirm that you will be living in your property for the next 6 years. If you own a private house and move before the 6 years is up they can legally take the money for the work from your house sale income. If it's a council property this doesn't really apply but you will need to get the housing association's approval, which for my work was granted very quickly and easily. 

I really hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.