Garden work grants — Scope | Disability forum

Garden work grants

pickle32 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi nice to meet you all x I’m registered disabled after having 2 knee replacement with arthritis and it’s now in my hip, I’m trying to find a grant of possible to do some work in my garden as I’m finding it harder to do all the grass cutting etc, the fence panels are down and it’s just making me depressed as I can’t sit out there !


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,596 Scope online community team
    Afternoon @pickle32 and welcome to the community.
    Have you had a look at our grants checker?
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,966 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pickle32 Welcome to the community, have you looked at your local council as some provide garden work at a very competitive rate. It may also be worth considering paying somebody local just looking for some casual work Im sure there will be many around at this time
  • alieshia
    alieshia Member Posts: 73 Courageous
    May I ask is it general maintenance you are needing help with or is it heavy work to make your garden suitable for use with your specific disability?
  • pickle32
    pickle32 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi x it’s work to make it more accessible for my knees, I’m not sure it’s classed as heavy work but it would need a little digging to I suppose to lay the slabs if that makes sense x
  • alieshia
    alieshia Member Posts: 73 Courageous
    No that makes sense thank you! Your best bet is to contact your local council and ask if they provide a service called Care & Repair. It may have a slightly different name dependant on your county. They can do an assessment of your needs and your financial situation to see if they can help. I couldn't get out my back door or use my garden due to my wheelchair so Care & Repair put in a ramp and a large patio area for me to use. The entire thing was paid for by a grant. You have to confirm that you will be living in your property for the next 6 years. If you own a private house and move before the 6 years is up they can legally take the money for the work from your house sale income. If it's a council property this doesn't really apply but you will need to get the housing association's approval, which for my work was granted very quickly and easily. 

    I really hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on!


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.