Is it possible to withdraw my appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Is it possible to withdraw my appeal?

coldrain
coldrain Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My pip tribunal was adjourned via telephone through covid19 stopping face to face sessions, I have had enough mental stress and want to withdraw my appeal, is it possible at this late stage?

Comments

• Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,412

Scope community team

Hi @coldrain

I've moved this onto the PIP discussion board so people can see you better to give you support and an answer.  I'll check back later today to see if one of our lovely members has got back to you :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,072 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

I would advise to go ahead and not give up your art the final stage so why give up now. I know its easy for me t say but if you feel you should have been awarded then fight it

Try and not think of it and not stress till the time. Also there has been a large increase in successful tribunals during the recent times 

If you need any advice just let us know
  • coldrain
    I've really had enough is there a way I can withdraw at this late stage?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,072 Disability Gamechanger
    I am sure you can withdraw just not certain how maybe ring the court and ask 

I think they will want it in writing 

I.am sure other members will advise who know the correct way 

@Adrian_Scope can you help here 
  • coldrain
    Thankyou janer1967
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 6,638

Scope community team

edited August 2020
    Hi @coldrain

Welcome to the community :) 

Yes it's possible to withdraw your appeal. You should have received a letter from them confirming or acknowledging your appeal, you just need to call the number provided on that letter if you no longer wish to proceed. 

If you don't have a letter, you can call the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) by calling 0800 917 2222. Just make sure you have your personal details handy, like your national insurance number and contact details.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,366 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You will need to contact HMCTS regarding this and not DWP because the Tribunal has nothing to do with DWP at this stage. Although i would advise you against canceling it at this stage because if you do change your mind at a later date then you'll need to request it again and the time will start from the begining.
  • coldrain
    Thanks to all on response I will consider carefully before making my decision. 
    Much appreciated.

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    What was the actual reason for the adjournment? That’s surely the pivotal aspect of this.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Member Posts: 1,227 Pioneering
    I know it’s stressful but please don’t give up please carry on with it you have come this far don’t give up 
  • Peter99
    Peter99 Member Posts: 65 Connected
    Please don't give up now. That is exactly what DWP wanted. 
  • Cher_Inactive
    Cher_Inactive Posts: 4,412

Scope community team

Just wanted to check in on you @coldrain How are you doing?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• Kev_G
    Kev_G Member Posts: 8 Connected
    Hi Coldrain,

Well I don't think you have to do anything to be honest. If you don't turn up then that's the same thing. This also buys you time. I might phone the DWP and tell them the stress this has put you under and if you can have this extended.

Do you have a supporter who could come with you. This helps a lot.

Thanks,

Kevin.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,366 Disability Gamechanger
    @Kev_G that won't be necessary because face to face hearings are currently suspended due to Covid19. It would also be HMCTS that would need to be contacted and not DWP at this stage.
  • mikehughescq
    Kev_G said:
    Hi Coldrain,

Well I don't think you have to do anything to be honest. If you don't turn up then that's the same thing. This also buys you time. I might phone the DWP and tell them the stress this has put you under and if you can have this extended.

Do you have a supporter who could come with you. This helps a lot.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Oh my goodness. No, this is not correct at all. If you fail to appear for a telephone hearing then the tribunal will either adjourn to give you an opportunity to attend or will make a decision in your absence. Neither of those are the same as an actual withdrawal.
  • Kev_G
    @mikehughescq The net effect would be the same, unless there would be benefit in formally withdrawing vs. Casually withdrawing. Is there?
  • mikehughescq
    No, absolutely not. There is no “net effect” here and there is no “casually withdrawing”. You either formally withdraw or you do not. Not turning up cannot ever be treated as a withdrawal as that would be a potential and obvious error of law on the basis of breach of natural justice. Imagine an appellant with every attention of attending who is hospitalised with a stroke which removes their powers of communication. If their failure to turn up was treated as a withdrawal there would rightly be outrage and a clear error of law. If you want to withdraw then you have to formally do so. 

A withdrawn appeal maintains whatever the original award was whether that was nothing or something. 

A failure to attend which produces an adjournment clearly means that the appeal has not been withdrawn and will be heard on another occasion. 

If the tribunal choose to go ahead because the appellant hasn’t turned up then they could award more than the current award or, crucially, less. 

This last bit is vital. What if an appellant wanted to withdraw in order to at minimum leave their existing award in place. Just not turning up allows the appeal to proceed and remove the lot!

Doesn't really work does it!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,552

Scope community team

Hello @coldrain. How are you getting on? I'm sure most of us can relate to how difficult the process can be. Have you made a decision about whether you're planning to continue with the appeal or withdraw?

Community Manager
    Scope

Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Kev_G
    Ah good point. It assumes they have any award of course.  if they don't attend then there could only be a neutral or positive result?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.