Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Funding for postgraduate studies.

KaleemdeanKaleemdean Member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2020 in Education and learning
I need information about funding for my postgraduate course. Need assistance if any one can guide me please. Thanks.

Replies

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,297 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @Kaleemdean :) 

The gov.uk website has some information about funding for postgraduate courses that you might find helpful. Is is it money to live off that you're worried about securing, or are you worried about paying the tuition fees?
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • KaleemdeanKaleemdean Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thanks for your message, being a disabled person I am not earning money, therefore I am worried to pay the fee and other expenses if there are any. I have checked gov.website but couldn't find any information. Thanks.
    edited August 2020
    Hi again @Kaleemdean.

I see. Hmm, alright. I don't know the answer so I've had a look online. These are the main sources of information I came across:
    From the looks of it, I reckon your best bet is going to be accessing the Disabled Students' Allowance, choosing a course that allows you to use a postgraduate student loan to cover the tuition fee cost, and looking to see whether there are any scholarships you might be able to apply for. 

I have friends who've found it difficult to fund their masters, so I know you're not the only one unfortunately. 

Did you do an undergraduate degree? If so, how did you fund that? 

I've also tagged your post as unanswered so that more of our members will be able to find your post.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • atlas47atlas47 Community champion Posts: 118 Pioneering
    Hi @Kaleemdean

Can you be more specific about your current level of academic achievement and the specific topic you wish to study, at Masters or Postgraduate level.

These are important factor’s in gaining bursaries or financial support.

Just a brief outline will suffice, at this stage.

Stay kind and be safe.
    Thanks all for your kindness. I have international qualifications but have obtained NARIC UK comparability certificate of level 7 qualifications. My area of interest is English language and literature. Thanks.
    No problem @kaleemdean :) I think other than looking at the links I already sent in regards to funding for disabled students, I think your best best would be contacting the universities you're interested in directly to ask about potential funding options, such as scholarships. They will also be able to confirm the tuition fees, as it does vary.

Would you be attending as an international student? That might change things. 

Thanks for your kind message. Regarding my status, I am UK resident and will be considered home student. I have already contacted several universities but couldn't find any positive response. Thanks for thinking for me. Great help. Kaleem.
    I see. Have you looked into how much student finance you might get @Kaleemdean? And keep ringing more universities if you can. A lot of them don't offer scholarships though, unfortunately, and they're often hard to secure as there are so few. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Thanks for your help. Yes I am trying at my level. I will update you all if there is any positive development. Meanwhile if you have any information please let me know. Thanks.
    If I come across anything useful I'll definitely send it your way @Kaleemdean :) Definitely let us know how it goes.

I'll also tag @Cher_Scope in here, as she's finishing her masters at the moment and might have some advice.

• WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,149 Pioneering
    Hi @Kaleemdean
                                 How are you? Have you looked on the Education and Learning page on the online community and read @Richard_Scope announcement near the top of the page relating to DSA, I was just wondering if this would be of any use to you? I hope my description of where to find it is clear. Thank you. 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,664 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kaleemdean, Disability Rights UK have a student helpline which also might be useful. :)

Telephone: 0330 995 0414

Opening hours: 11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

email: [email protected]

Our advisors can advise and support disabled people who are studying or wish to study at any level on full-time or part-time education or training courses if

• the course is in England and
    • they are over 16

We can advise and support

• disabled students or
    • parents and/or carers of disabled students or
    • professionals working with disabled students

The student helpline is sponsored by the Snowdon Trust.

Calls are free from a landline but mobile providers may make a charge.

We also have a number of useful education related factsheets

Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Thanks for your message. I will contact them soon. Thanks for sending information.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,664 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kaleemdean, have you managed to be in touch with them? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.