I need help to find an appropriate property — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I need help to find an appropriate property

Mac2012 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello just joined and am extremely anxious about my current housing situation and just don’t know what to do?

ive lives in this borough since June this year and property is not suitable for my needs. Council require lots of info I’m unable to give at moment. My driving license is being renewed including change of name and address. DVLA also want a medical done but GP’s aren’t doing them at the moment. I have an Occupational Therapy’s report regarding the unsuitable property I’m living in.
council want me to register on Homelink but I can’t cos I have no photographic ID. And no local connection. I’m trying to rent privately but have problems with estate agents as I’m a retired lecturer so have no income!
im on full PIP ESA with support Housing Benefit UC.

i need help to find appropriate property to mo e in to with my live in carer my assistance medical dog and an 11 yr old house cat.

if anyone can advise me I would be so grateful!!!!

thanks you


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 15,292 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I'm sorry to hear the problems you are having I would contact the shelter organisation or CAB or welfare rights 

    Did you know the property was unsuitable before you moved as it doesn't seem you have been there long 

    It is hard to private rent when on benefits 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,607 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    It's not easy to find a privately rented property with a landlord/agency that will accept anyone claiming benefits, although they are not supposed to refuse us, they most certainly do.

    You can try searching gumtree for your local area or the area in which you're looking for. Or just google seach the area and add something like "private renting that accepts DSS" Not an easy task by any means.

    May i also ask if you viewed your current property before you moved in? Having only very recently moved in, you may have an issue with the tenancy agreement that you may well have signed for a minimum period, which is usually at least 12 months.
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 6,762

    Scope community team

    edited October 2020
    Good evening @Mac2012 and welcome to the community :) 

    Glad you've joined us.

    Sorry to hear about the difficulty you're going through with housing, it sounds very stressful, hopefully the community can help.

    I have moved your discussion to our housing category, so it will hopefully get more responses.
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 12,270 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mac2012 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry that your current situation is so difficult; it must be most distressing. As far as photographic ID goes, do you have a Blue Badge? As I only have a paper driving license (I no longer drive), & no passport, I've used this with a Building Society, & 2 separate solicitors, all of whom were happy to accept this.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 8,262

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @Mac2012! I hope the comments above have given you some ideas? Let us know how you're getting on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Mac2012. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.