PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Pip review

pee14pee14 Member Posts: 119 Courageous
Hello everybody ,
My mums pip review was was meant to be July 2020 she has just recieved a letter saying her award has been extended for another year , I thought that reviews was still going ahead via telephone,  has anybody else had theirs extended without having to have a review ? Thanks.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, they are extending some awards because of Covid. Some have had them extended by 6 months, others for longer. Mine was extended by 15 months and my daughters by 9 months.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,205 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Lots if people are having extensions still as advised above.  Your mum doesn't need to do anything until she is contacted 

But just because it has been extended they can still review anytime . Some people have had extension letters followed by review forms few weeks after 

Fingers crossed your mum will gave bit of time yet 
  • pee14pee14 Member Posts: 119 Courageous
    Thankyou very much , so they are ppl having reviews aswel ? They should make it clearer ,anyway thankyou @poppy123456
    @janer1967
    The award has been extended because of Covid but this doesn't mean they won't still contact her at anytime.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 do you know why they choose to review someppl and extend others.
    I'm guessing it depends on how your conditions affect you. As i said my daughters award was also extended but not for as long as mine was extended for.
    @poppy123456
    If you don't mind me asking poppy , how long ago did the extend your award and your daughters award?
    I received both letters last Saturday.
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,712 Disability Gamechanger
    My pip was to run until march 2021 but I’ve had a letter extending it until October 2021, so 7 months extension. However having read around it I’m expecting a review letter sooner rather than later. I also reach retirement age in March 2021 so that’s an added complication for me anyway.
    @leeCal
    I'm sure @poppy123456 will give you advice Good luck.
    leeCal said:
    My pip was to run until march 2021 but I’ve had a letter extending it until October 2021, so 7 months extension. However having read around it I’m expecting a review letter sooner rather than later. I also reach retirement age in March 2021 so that’s an added complication for me anyway.
    Yes it does , I hope they will leave you till then and just give you it for 10 years or so.
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @pee14 I hope so too 🙂
    @poppy123456
    Hi my mums just got her review form today ,can I ask who makes a decision on the review form please?
    pee14 said:
    @poppy123456
    Hi my mums just got her review form today ,can I ask who makes a decision on the review form please?

Hi,

Decision makers do, just like with any PIP claim. Face to face assessments are still suspended and telephone assessments have replaced them. Most people have them as paper based assessments are still rare, so she should expect a telephone assessment.

She needs to make sure she fills out the form with as much information as possible about how her conditions affect her. Please don't just put "no change" even if there's no change in her conditions.
    Thankyou @poppy123456
    So if there's no change i tell them still how it affects her? 
    You're welcome. Yes absolutely.
    @poppy123456
    Could you help please, I'm confused on what to and not to send ,
    My mum has a letter from her mental health care coordinator,  which is titled Supporting letter for review of her personal independence payment (PIP) ,can  she send this?
    Also she has a letter from her psychologist assesment can she send that also?
    Also one from her Advanced nurse practitioner explaining how her illness affects her, can she send this also? Because it says don't send a supporting letter from GP but doesn't say dont from the people iv mentioned above. Thankyou. 
    If they state how her conditions affect her then yes send them. Although the best evidence you can ever send is your ancedtotal evidence. A couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.
    edited November 2020
    @poppy123456 Great ,so me has her carer can send  that then ,am I right ? 
    @poppy123456
    So this letter other week stating extended for another year basically doesn't mean anything?
    Yes, you can fill out the form for her but she will need to sign it, unless you're her appointee.

Well, the award was extended yes but as i advised, this doesn't mean her award still isn't due for review. It just means that if the decision takes longer than usual her award is extended just incase this happens. Although any decision made on this review will overrule her current award and she'll receive a new award length of time, if successfully awarded.
    @poppy123456 thankyou I will keep updating you because I know it helps other people. 
    leeCal said:
    @leeCal
    Hi have you had your review form yet? My mum got hers today.
    edited November 2020
    @poppy123456
    @janer1967
    Silly question at this stage of the pandemic but do you know how long reviews are taking ?also do the assessors look at your last report to help them make a decision?
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,205 Disability Gamechanger
    The wait all depends on backlog in your area there are no set timescales 

They usually make a decision on current evidence as there may have been changes since last report 
    Even under normal times, there's never any timescales for any decision.

For my daughters last PIP review, she had a paper based assessment and they did look at the previous assessment report because it was mentionedin the PA5 (paper based) assessment report. Although regardless of whether they look or not, all claims should be classed as a new claim by all claimants, which is why i advised putting as much information as possible.
    @poppy123456
    There's not much space for everything so can I use a seperate piece of aswel ?
    @poppy123456
    This time , we haven't any evidence about her osteoarthritis , to be honest I didn't want to contact the doctor for it , due to all they have to deal with with covid 19 , will they contact her Gp if they need more info?
    @poppy123456
    Poppy can I ask ,has your daughter just been reviewed ? If so how long did it take? 
    edited November 2020
    Yes, use extra paper if needed but make sure you add her name and NI number to everything you send, including all evidence.

No, they rarely contact anyone. It's the claimants responsibility to make sure they send any evidence to prove they qualify, not their's.

My daughters review was over a year ago but there's no timescales for any decision's. Backlog are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.
    @poppy123456
    Hi do I photo copy the letter from me or can I just send the one iv written?
    You should always keep a copy of everything you send.
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy can you please help where it says on the form things to send things not to send, on the not to send it states do not send support letter from Gp ,do I ignore it and still send one because the GP has more input on mums osteoarthritis , or could I put no letter from Gp because states not to send from Gp?
    The reason they ask not to send them is because a GP will very rarely know exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors so any letter is unlikely to help. Although as you have it anyway there's no harm in sending it if you think it will help. Although regarding evidence, less is often more and sending too much isn't going to help, especially if the evidence doesn't give any information.
    edited November 2020
    @poppy123456 Brill I think il leave it out , and just send her care plan ,thankyou 😊 
    You're welcome. Don't forget to add those recent real world examples for each descriptor that applies to her because it's your/her ancedotal evidence that is the most important thing.
    @poppy123456 will do ,thankyou so much 
    @poppy123456
    Evening poppy do I need to send her prescriptions? I forgot to get them copied at the PO

If you think it will help, there's no harm in sending the list.
    @poppy123456
    I think it probably would yes 
    Thanks.
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy do the DWP Still send a txt upon receiving the form?
    Yes eventually they do, if you put a mobile number on the form.
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy just thought I would update you on my mums review, DWP did a paper based review 🙂  till 2024 and gave her same award , it took less than 8 weeks , thankyou for the advise .🤝
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,227

Scope community team

Glad to hear you got the outcome @pee14, I hope you and your mum are happy with that :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    That's great news! thanks for coming back to update us :)
    @Ross_Scope
    Oh very happy and relieved ,certainly wasn't expecting paper based 
    Filling out the forms with as much relevant information as possible always helps.
    @poppy123456 certainly did ,Thanks.
    Sorry apologies it took 6 weeks from me sending bk the form .
Sign in or join us to comment.