PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP Paper Based Assessment

TheFutureEmbraceTheFutureEmbrace Member Posts: 32 Listener
Hi everyone, I'm new here.
Just looking for some feedback really.

I applied for PIP for my partner in July, sent the form off in September with a letter from a mental health nurse attached explaining about my partners severe OCD and a anxiety.
Had a call on 1st October from a lovely lady saying that she had all the evidence she needs from the application form and nurse's letter to make a paper based assessment.
My girlfriend is unable to use the phone so that was also a factor she said.
She said that the form was filled out well enough with enough information and she just needed to ask a few follow up questions.

The phone call lasted about 15 minutes and she made it seem very likely that we would be awarded.

She said the next step is sending the report to the decision maker and she didn't know how long that would take.

I'm just wandering if there is rough timescale on the assessor's report getting to a decision maker and then the time it takes the decision to be made.

Also, how likely is it for the decision maker to go against the report and deny the application, ehen the report seems to be in her favour.

I've been getting the texts keeping me updated on the process of the claim so I imagine I will get a text when the decision maker receives the report?

Thanks so much for your help in adcance.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Timescales for decisions? There isn't any, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. Some wait between 2-8 weeks, others wait longer.

They mostly go with the report, although it has been known for them to go against it, it's rare.

It sounds like you've received a copy of the report. Have you added up the recommended points in there? If not then use the PIP descriptors online to see what score, if any is recommended.

Other than that all you can do is wait. If it's a first time claim and you're not transferring from DLA then payment usually goes into your bank before the decision letter is received.

Good luck.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,088

Scope community team

@TheFutureEmbrace welcome to our online community and I'm glad to hear you've had a relatively positive experience so far claiming PIP.  

Good luck to your girlfriend and please let us know how you get on  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • TheFutureEmbraceTheFutureEmbrace Member Posts: 32 Listener
    HI, thanks for getting back to me.

No i haven't received a copy of the report, I was merely going off how encouraging the assessor on the phone was.
    I asked about chances of being awarded, trying to probe her for information, and she said its based on how restricted the person is and that my partner was very restricted in her day to day life. Those were her words pretty much.

I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to ask for a copy of the report until the decision maker had received it, is that correct? Or could I ask before I get the text saying they had received it?
    @Cher_Scope Thanks for the encouragement.
    The waiting is so stressful.
    I'm hoping to get a copy of the report soon but I'm not sure when I can ask for it.
    If you live in the UK you can ring DWP to request a copy of the report (or your girlfriend) to be sent out to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in there. You'll still need to wait for the decision though. The number to ring is 0800 121 4433

The reason the assessor couldn't tell you whether there will be an award is because they don't make decisions, only recommendations.

If you live in N. Ireland then you'll need to wait for the decision before requesting the report.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    @poppy123456 Okay thank you ao much I'll call in the morning, I remember reading somewhere that its easier to get through in the mornings.
    edited October 2020
    You're welcome. Yes, it can be easier to get through when they first open. Although you could also be waiting for up to an hour. They open between 9 and 5.
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 957 Pioneering
    Hi there I also have anxiety ocd  as well as ptsd pychosis . I recieved my pip first time so I hope your Partner does as well . I had a phone assessment my partner had to support me for the phone call . I’m glad she can have a paper assessment all the best and let us know how your partner gets on 
    @cupidpsyche Hi thanks for your feedback and support.

May I ask how long it took for your decision to come through once you had had the assessment?
    Hi there I actually received my back pay before my decision letter I rang them up after 2 weeks they told me on phone I had been accepted . 
    Hi just a quick update I rang PIP uo and they said they haven't received the report yet and to ring back in about a week.

More waiting, but I'm getting used to it by now aha.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,205 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome sorry you are waiting but unfortunately that is what it is 

I hope your girlfriend gets a successful result fingers crossed for you 
    They don't always send the report back straight away. Sometimes they are sent to audit, which can delay the process of returning it to DWP. It doesn't mean anything bad if it has been chosen for audit, it just means the HCP being being checked. You can ring the health assessment providers to ask what's happening and if a paper based assessment has been completed or the report is in audit they will tell you.
    @poppy123456 What is HCP, health care provider?
    Does that mean they are ringing up our GP or checking the evidence ee provided from the mental health nurse with her?
    Is ir possible its taking a while and isn't being sent to audit.
    An audit sounds a little bit concerning.
    @How would I go about contacting the health assessment providers?
  • BAFBAF Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi do you mean the health assessment advisers about sickness benefits ? I have the number of that is what you mean as I have rang them in the past
    @poppy123456 I'm not even sure who the company are that conduct the assessments for the DWP.
    Is is Capita or someone like that?

@BAF Is that the same as the one for PIP? I'm not sure.
    @TheFutureEmbrace
    I have 2 numbers on letters from the health assessment advisers advisory service where you go for medical for pip 0800 288 8777 and says was aswel
    @TheFutureEmbrace meant to say pip and esa aswel  
    So I spoke to someone at Captcha. She said there was no way the report would be done yet as its a paper based assessment and they take longer because the assessor has to contact the health care professionals about the evidence sent and wait for replies off them.
    I'm starting to wonder whether it would have just been better to have a phone assessment if paper based takes so much longer.
    I see the forms were only sent back in September, which really isn't long at all. It could potentially take several months for a successful claim.

If there's enough of evidence to do a paper based assessment they will, otherwise she could still have a telephone assessment. They could potentially contact someone off the list, if you provided any contact details when filling out the form.

My daughter had a paper based assessment for her last review and the whole process took almost 5 months, if i remember correctly.

There's really no timescales for telephone assessments or paper assessments. Backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.

All you can do now is wait.
    Hi guys just a quick update.
    I rang the DWP and they said that my partner's report is now with a case manager. They received it on 15th October, 2 weeks ago.

I requested a copy of the report and they're sending it out.
    Judging by what the assessor said on the phone I'm optimistic but I don't want to be too hopeful.

I just hope the report corroborates everything said in the paper based assessment.

Now it's waiting, but we're in the final stretch (for now).
    Thanks for the update fingers crossed the wait isnt too long now
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,240

Scope community team

Hopefully the wait isn't too long @TheFutureEmbrace and best of luck with the outcome.

Thanks for the update.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    Thanks for the support everyone.

Does anyone know the difference between case managers vs decision makers? Are the same thing, or will my claim have to be passed onto a decision maker after the case manager has looked at ir?
    Case Managers are a lower grade than Decision Makers and are usually only trained to make PIP Decisions whereas a DM may have experience of other benefits and would also be responsible for making eligibility Decisions as well as entitlement ones.
    @poppy123456 Do you know whether there is a difference between case managers vs decision makers? Are they the same thing, or will my claim have to be passed onto a decision maker after the case manager has looked at it?
    @poppy123456 Thanks for the reply, sorry about the double post.

I'm hoping for a decision within the next 2 - 4 weeks, do you think that's reasonable as the case manager has already had it for 2 weeks?
    Also, does the backpay always go into the account before the decision letter arrives if the claim is successful?
    edited October 2020
    There's no timescales for any decision, it's made when it's made. It's like asking how long is a piece of string. Not what you wanted to hear i know but there's nothing more you can do but wait.

If the deciison goes in her favour, It's highly likely the money will be in the bank before the decision letter is received.
    Good luck keep us all updated 
    The report arrived today. My partner scored 17 points on daily living and 10 points on mobility.
    If the case manager goes with this recommendation we'll be happy.

Fingers crossed.
    Great news fingers crossed they go with the report
    That’s what I scored . Fingers crossed let us know I really hope she gets her pip . 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,252 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the update @TheFutureEmbrace - I'm glad you're pleased with your partner's report. :)
  • CressCress Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    Great news for you and partner!
    Must be such a relief  :)
    @cupcake88 Did they go with the recommendation on your report?
    How long was it between receiving your report and the money being in your bank?
    @Cress yes, but still worried that the case manager can go against the report.
    I won't be completely relieved until I see the money in the account or the decision letter lol.
    @TheFutureEmbrace hi there yeh they went with the points but not with the length the report said a year and they have given me till mid 2022 so that’s  just over 2 years . I had the money in my account before the report ha and before the decision it was bout 2 weeks I would tell your partner to check her bank and you will find the money wil prob be in there before her decision 
    @janer1967 Yeah that's what I'm still worried about. I won't be completely at peace until i know for sure.
    My Nan says never count your money till it’s In you’re hands . I was very anxious bout it too it was every one on this forum who got me threw my whole pip assessment the support was amazing . 

It seems like a positive report so I really hope she gets pip I’m sending you positive thoughts 
  • CressCress Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    @Cress yes, but still worried that the case manager can go against the report.
    I won't be completely relieved until I see the money in the account or the decision letter lol.
    Yes I understand...was the same myself.
    The poster who claimed to be a case manager said DM will only go against the report if it favours the applicant in most cases...of course one cant be sure he was who he claimed to be! Fingers crossed for you.
    I actually had the money paid into my account literally a week after my assessment! Hope you dont have much longer to wait...
    @Cress Thats encouraging I'm hoping we'll know soon.
    Thanks for your support.
    @cupcake88 Thanks for the support. I'm hoping to know soon now that we're in the final stage.
    So i went back and reread the report as I read on here that some people can read it wrong, and I apparently I did too.
    My partner got 19 points for daily living not 17 and 10 points for mobility.
    If only those 2 extra points were for mobility instead lol.
    Also it says the recommend award time is 18 months but they don't go 18 month awards do they so will it be 2 years?
    Yes, they can give an 18 month award. Usually they go with the report but as it's only a recommendation you'll need to wait for the decision letter and if awarded, it will tell you on there the exact award length.
    Hey guys so I've just had a letter saying 'We have the information we need to decide if we can award you PIP'

'There is no need to contact us. We will write to you when we have made a decision on your PIP claim'.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this letter? And what the next step will be?
    Hi 

This letter is normal it is just a standard response once they have all they need, no need to worry about it
    @janer1967 Thanks janer. I'm just hoping it isn't too long now.
    I'm on tenterhooks.
    I dont think it will be too long fingers crossed, Keep checking the bank as sometimes you get the money before the letter
    Please try to relax, i know that's difficult but it's very rare they go against the report. You've done all you can for now until the decision's been made. There's no timescales how long this will take and the letter that you received is a standard letter. To be honest, i'm not even sure why they even bother sending that letter because it just makes people even more nervous. They could save paper and just wait until the decision's been made and then send the decision letter.
    @poppy123456 I am going to apply for carers allowance if successful with PIP, and I just read about something called the carers premium.
    Is it possible to claim both or is it just one or the other.
    The carers premium is only added to certain old legacy benefits like Income Related ESA/JSA or Income Support. If your partner is awarded daily living PIP and you look after them for at least 35 hours per week and you don't earn more than £128 per week (after deductions) then yes you can claim carers allowance, which can also be backdated to the start of their PIP award.

If you're claiming any other benefits like Universal Credit then the carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. You don't have to claim carers allowance to be entitled to the carers element in with your UC entitlement.
    @poppy123456 My partner and I currently have a joint UC claim. When you say deducted in full do you mean the full £270 for carers allowance will be deducted from our Universal Credit every month?

Also, I was going to apply for CA on the day I got the PIP letter if successful, but how could I backdate the if I can only claim from the date the PIP starts. Or do you mean from when I made the first PIP phone call in July?
    Sorry for asking so many questions I just want to make sure I understand everything.
    If you calim carers allowance as well as UC then there will will a deduction of £291 from your UC for the carers allowance. This is because carers allowance is a weeklt benefit and UC is monthly and there's more than 4 weeks in a month.

You do not need to claim carers allowance when claiming UC to be entitled to the carers element of UC. You just need to report the changes on your journal that you are caring for at least 35 hours per week. Carers element is an extra £160 per month.

If you want to claim carers allowance as well of course you can do that but there's no financial gain. Although it pays class 1 NI credits and UC pays class 3.
    Hi guys a quick update.
    My partner's PIP backpay went in today so obviously her application was successful, we're just waiting on the letter to tell us the exact amount, length of award etc.

Thanks for all your help and advice and stay positive for those who are applying. Ita been a long, ardous process but everything went as planned and we didn't have any problems.
  • Lou67Lou67 Member Posts: 891 Pioneering
    Hi @TheFutureEmbrace       That’s great news, yous can finally relax, well done. 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,240

Scope community team

Thanks for the update @TheFutureEmbrace, that's lovely news.

Hope the letter arrives soon.
    Online Community Coordinator

Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
    Hi guys.
    So we finally received the dreaded brown envelope today.
    My partner was awarded enhanced daily living and standard mobility until April 2023. So almost 18 months longer than the health care professional recommended.

I have changed our joint Universal Credit claim to reflect that I am caring for her to receive the carer's element and have also applied for carer's allowance, backdating it to July when the PIP claim started.

Thanks for all your support and help its such a relief to have some good news before Christmas. 

Stay safe.
    Great news!

Do be aware that the carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Unless living in Scotland there's no financial gain to claiming carers alloiwance as well as UC and you don't need to claim this to be entitled to the carers element. The only advantage is that it pays class 1 NI credits, where as UC pays class 3.

You will be backdated the carers allowance and be paid the lump sum but if you were claiming UC for the whole of that period then you'll have an overpayment for this, which will need to be repaid back from future UC entitlement.

Hi just  a quick query.
    UC have asked whether my partners disability means that she uses our spare bedroom, which she does. And I've put the start date down as the same date as her PIP claim starting because it was around then.
    What will happen next, will the bedroom tax we're normally deducted from our UC claim now be added on going forward?

Also, second thing, you were right about there being no upside to claiming carers allowance. Is it possible to stop claiming it and how would I do that?
    You will need to wait for DWP to make a decision on the bedroom tax part, no one here will be able to answer that one.

To stop the carers allowance claim you'll need to contact them. However, as the claim is now active then in my opinion, you may as well continue with the claim because it pays class 1 NI credits, where as UC pays just class 3. Unless of course your partner is working and then the carers allowance does have a weekly earnings limit of no more than £128 after deductions.
Sign in or join us to comment.