PIP Paper Based Assessment - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Paper Based Assessment

Options
124»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news!

Do be aware that the carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Unless living in Scotland there's no financial gain to claiming carers alloiwance as well as UC and you don't need to claim this to be entitled to the carers element. The only advantage is that it pays class 1 NI credits, where as UC pays class 3.

You will be backdated the carers allowance and be paid the lump sum but if you were claiming UC for the whole of that period then you'll have an overpayment for this, which will need to be repaid back from future UC entitlement.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TheFutureEmbrace
    TheFutureEmbrace Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    Options
    Hi just  a quick query.
    UC have asked whether my partners disability means that she uses our spare bedroom, which she does. And I've put the start date down as the same date as her PIP claim starting because it was around then.
    What will happen next, will the bedroom tax we're normally deducted from our UC claim now be added on going forward?

Also, second thing, you were right about there being no upside to claiming carers allowance. Is it possible to stop claiming it and how would I do that?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will need to wait for DWP to make a decision on the bedroom tax part, no one here will be able to answer that one.

To stop the carers allowance claim you'll need to contact them. However, as the claim is now active then in my opinion, you may as well continue with the claim because it pays class 1 NI credits, where as UC pays just class 3. Unless of course your partner is working and then the carers allowance does have a weekly earnings limit of no more than £128 after deductions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.